Inspection of Escribe software, Auth methods & API usage, anyone has any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
I am curious about the dna 200's software eScribe. Is there any Auth between eScribe and the chip that prevents a third part software from picking up signals via a USB connection? Are the Serial Command Line Interface instructions public? Would it be possible for an open source software in say python to recreate some of the graphing features and possibly down the line some of the more advanced changes. I understand if its not written to firmware the feature can't exist, and writing to firmware likely wont be possible due to some onboard protection from writing. But what type of read protection is on the chip and how does it communicate with eScribe? Im sure they have some terms against deassembling the code and monitoring the interactions, but this is just pure curiosity. If I wanted to make a python script that worked on OS X for the people who arent able to use it, what would prevent me from being able to besides the obvious, no drivers, not knowing variables and the API layer language. Any hard protection? Until we get a driver for mac this is all dreams but it crossed my mind and looking for a pros feedback.

I will be getting on this week, so ill keep this thread updated with any information I can legally get a hold of. Still need to pull up terms and see how they are written, if there are any.

READ NEXT POST

Last edited:

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
Just an update to my own post, everything I asked is possible/ Refer to this link
Serial / Command Line Interface: list of commands? And is it a complete interface for controlling 100% of DNA 200 functions and the basis of EScribe? - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

Here are the main control commands. Enjoy
smile.gif

Fire: F=#S
Set Power Setting: P=#W
Set Temperature Setting: T=#C or T=#F or T=OFF
Set Profile: M=# (1 to 8)

Get Power: P=GET
Get Power Setting: P=GET SP
Get Temperature: T=GET
Get Temperature Setting: T=GET SP
Get Voltage: V=GET
Get Current: I=GET
Get Profile: M=GET
Get Battery: B=GET
Get Battery Cell: B=GET CELL # (1 to 3)

/*
Function: Command
Fire: F=#S
Set Power Setting: P=#W
Set Temperature Setting: T=#C or T=#F or T=OFF
Set Profile: M=# (1 to 8)
Get Power: P=GET
Get Power Setting: P=GET SP
Get Temperature: T=GET
Get Temperature Setting: T=GET SP
Get Voltage: V=GET
Get Current: I=GET
Get Profile: M=GET
Get Battery: B=GET
Get Battery Cell: B=GET CELL # (1 to 3)
Get Charge: C=GET
Get Resistance: R=GET
Get e-cig Manufacturer: E=GET MFR
Get e-cig Product Name: E=GET PRODUCT
Get e-cig Feature info: E=GET FEATURE #(1 to 7)
*/

The device Monitor works by issuing serial commands, so really anything it can do can be commanded.

Also, Mac can be done!
"
I should add that while the Windows serial driver is proprietary, the protocol it speaks is standard USB CDC serial. So Linux will recognize it without a driver. Because the device is composite, the CDC serial must have an Interface Association Descriptor, which makes the serial not work with Mac OS X (no IAD support). But, the HID-tunneled serial will work on every platform.
"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread