installed a new coil, what to do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
I have installed a new coil in my kanger topbox mini tank. The previous coil was starting to have major wicking issues, I let it sit in the tank for an hour and then proceeded to take a medium sized vape at 60W this resulted in the throat burning dry hit we all hate... after that I decided it was time for a new coil. I have decided to retired it for now.

I put a clapton coil in there, and took a few small puffs to test the waters, worried about burning my cotton liek I did with the old one. it tasted like vaped cotton not like burnt cotton but vaped cotton, so I know its not wicking like I would like it to...

How can I avoid damaging this coil like I did the last one? Should I stay away from maximum wattage... seemed to be the main way I was burning the cotton fibers on the prior atty. Anything else I should to before I start chucking clouds... A part of me wants to turn it all the way up to 75W but I know that this probably isn't a good idea... I don't want to burn it like I did the last one... and ruin the taste/flavor production.

Any other tips for starting to vape on a new coil? I thoroughly washed it with water. although it didn't seem like there was much if any "machine oil" in there, I did it anyway just to be safe. Now I'm ready to start vaping on it. but before I do... I would like to know if anyone has any pointers for what to do before vaping on a new coil?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
1st, stop washing new / unused replacement heads.
2nd, prime them thoroughly by dripping drops of eliquid on the wicking material until fully saturated. Tilt the head & drip 2 or 3 down the center onto the cotton, then keep adding drops on the cotton visible through the wicking holes in the body of the head until saturated.
3rd, install head into base, fill tank thread base & tank together, let it sit upright for a few minutes.
4, always reduce the power when starting a new head, slowly increase power over the first half to full tank. Blasting a new head with the same power as the previous old used head is a sure way to scorch or burn the wicking material.

The whole point in using a variable power output device is to be able to adjust power up / down to find your sweet spot using an endless variety of resistances, flavors, pg/vg ratio, airflow etc...

I use the clapton .5Ω head in my toptank, I start a new head at 18w - 20w & rarely exceed 28w.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I have installed a new coil in my kanger topbox mini tank. The previous coil was starting to have major wicking issues, I let it sit in the tank for an hour and then proceeded to take a medium sized vape at 60W this resulted in the throat burning dry hit we all hate... after that I decided it was time for a new coil. I have decided to retired it for now.

I put a clapton coil in there, and took a few small puffs to test the waters, worried about burning my cotton liek I did with the old one. it tasted like vaped cotton not like burnt cotton but vaped cotton, so I know its not wicking like I would like it to...

How can I avoid damaging this coil like I did the last one? Should I stay away from maximum wattage... seemed to be the main way I was burning the cotton fibers on the prior atty. Anything else I should to before I start chucking clouds... A part of me wants to turn it all the way up to 75W but I know that this probably isn't a good idea... I don't want to burn it like I did the last one... and ruin the taste/flavor production.

Any other tips for starting to vape on a new coil? I thoroughly washed it with water. although it didn't seem like there was much if any "machine oil" in there, I did it anyway just to be safe. Now I'm ready to start vaping on it. but before I do... I would like to know if anyone has any pointers for what to do before vaping on a new coil?
You need to Prime the coils first

Then move the wattage down and slowly work up to not burn the wick.

Itvtskes a while for the air in the wick to be moved our and proper capillary action to start working.

Go easy on tge wattage.

Reactions: KenD

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
1st, stop washing new / unused replacement heads.

Why would I not wash them?? Isn't it better to be safe and clean out any potential hazardous residues?

I took all of the advice here and its working great. Slowly been working my way up in wattage since yesterday. Started at the lowest W and working my way up to 42W and the vapor production and wicking is great. This thing is making better clouds at 35W than the other one was making at 60... really a huge difference. No dry hits yet!!! *fingers crossed*

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why would I not wash them?? Isn't it better to be safe and clean out any potential hazardous residues?

I took all of the advice here and its working great. Slowly been working my way up in wattage since yesterday. Started at the lowest W and working my way up to 42W and the vapor production and wicking is great. This thing is making better clouds at 35W than the other one was making at 60... really a huge difference. No dry hits yet!!! *fingers crossed*

I really don't think you need to wash out a Factory New Coil Head before you use it. But if you Feel more comfortable doing it, then that is what you should do.

---

Good to Hear that found a Wattage that works Best for your Coil/e-Liquid(s). Starting Low and Moving Up is always a Good Idea until you know what a Given Coil can Handle when used with a Given e-Liquid.

Reactions: Izan

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Did you notice the heads come in a plastic tray sealed with a foil.
That is to keep them clean, authentic replacement heads are manufactured in a clean room environment.

Unless you're using distilled water to wash them you're adding minerals, chemicals / contaminates that remain in the cotton even when dried.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Washing a coil is asking for problems. Any time you use a new coil prime it and then start with low wattage and work up to where u like it. Just because a mod does 60 watts doesn't mean you have to go there.
EXACTLY! Burning cotton tastes horrible.

Reactions: Eskie

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
Good to Hear that found a Wattage that works Best for your Coil/e-Liquid(s). Starting Low and Moving Up is always a Good Idea until you know what a Given Coil can Handle when used with a Given e-Liquid.

Just because a mod does 60 watts doesn't mean you have to go there.

Yeah with the current set up I have the juice and tank do not work well past 69W I've learned once I start to go up past 70 watts it cannot wick fast enough. This results in almost combustion, Guess I'll need a different RDA for that 69-75 range.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah with the current set up I have the juice and tank do not work well past 69W I've learned once I start to go up past 70 watts it cannot wick fast enough. This results in almost combustion, Guess I'll need a different RDA for that 69-75 range.

If you want to run Wattages up to 75 Watts, I can't see a TopTank Mini being a very good Choice.

Not sure what type of RTA would be good to suggest for something like 75 Watts? I just don't run anywhere near that type of Watts in a RTA or Tank.

If you went to an RDA, yeah, 75 Watts would be Doable. But you would probably have to Drip every 3 or 4 Pulls so you don't get Dry Hits.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

ph0ng

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2016
www.huffandpuffers.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company / Unregistered Supplier

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
ummm no... please don't run a kbox mini to its limit, please get a dual battery mod to vape properly and safely above 60watts...

Why would running a kbox mini at 75W be improper? (assuming I had the right RTA or RDA to go with it)

I don't really like vaping above 60W anyway, the vapor is hot and hurts my throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread