Installing battery ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Wasn't sure the best spot for this, so please move if necessary, as I know you will!

I just got a Tesla Invader mini (dual parallel 18650 unregulated with MOSFET) as a knockaround mod. The batteries are really tight so I want to put in a ribbon, not only for day-to-day, but in case something should go wrong with such an inexpensive device. (I should say, though, I've had some pretty great Teslas.)

I imagine it's as straightforward as getting some ribbon and gluing it in on a spot that won't interfere with the battery door. According to DirectVapor, the mod is made of aluminium.

So a) can someone correct me if I'm wrong that installing a ribbon should be as simple as gluing it on and b) I am NOT a modder, what kind of adhesive should I use on aluminium?

Thank you!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I've got no problem if the answer is "yes" but do you think epoxy is necessary just for a ribbon?

Sure.
Its just really strong adhesive made for bonding unlike materials.
You could use lesser glue (superglue), but considering you will be pulling and stressing the bond, stronger adhesion would be a big plus.

Besides, overkill is underrated.

motivation___overkill_by_songue-d54wyr5.jpg

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
So I'm sure no one can say for sure, but I realized that where I'm going to have to affix the ribbon is not aluminum, but seemingly some kind of plastic that the entire battery sled is made of. I did get some epoxy and also super glue but I know super glue doesn't play well with some plastics. I just don't want to mess up with the epoxy and have it stuck forever-- I know, it's just a ribbon, it's stupid-- and trying to make sure I have what facts I can get.

Is there a type of plastic commonly used in battery sleds? Could it be almost anything or is it likely to be one of a few? I know no one can say for sure unless they have the mod; I'm going to go do some searching to see if I can find anything else out.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Besides, overkill is underrated.

Funnily enough... he doesn't say that line in the arrival scene you have pictured.

He says it much later... right after popping a shrieker with his single shot 50 cal.

Which goes through the beastie... a cinder block wall... another wall (?)... and through and through the engine block of their would-be get away vehicle.

That's "overkill" folks. o_O

Oops. :p

Damn, I get a kick out of that series of flicks.
They've been getting a lot of play the past couple of months on at least two cable channels.

eta: I even had occasion to use one of their funniest lines (and from that movie) not long ago...
"Yeah, we get it... we just don't want it."

:)

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Funnily enough... he doesn't say that line in the arrival scene you have pictured.

He says it much later... right after popping a shrieker with his single shot 50 cal.

Which goes through the beastie... a cinder block wall... another wall (?)... and through and through the engine block of their would-be get away vehicle.

That's "overkill" folks. o_O

Oops. :p

Damn, I get a kick out of that series of flicks.
They've been getting a lot of play the past couple of months on at least two cable channels.

eta: I even had occasion to use one of their funniest lines (and from that movie) not long ago...
"Yeah, we get it... we just don't want it."

:)
Lol.
That was the only relevant Burt meme I could find on a quick search.

Burt's the best thing about that series.

58165580.png

Reactions: Jim_ MDP

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You've had him in your sig for a few weeks, I figured you had a folder full by now. ;)

Watched the fifth... "Burt Goes To Africa", again last night. :p

Burt is my standard answer when people ask who Im voting for.

He may not have alot of experience in politics, but he has only ran out of ammo once.

Reactions: Jim_ MDP

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
So as it turns out, the tolerance on the battery door is so tight that it won't close with a ribbon in there. I might be able to work it out well enough that it closes enough to be fine, especially since this mod won't ever leave the house (unregulated with no lock, no thank you) but I'm really glad I didn't just go and epoxy a ribbon in, only to find that out.

Any other ideas?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I was wondering if there would be room for epoxy in the battery box. The ribbon is usually attached behind the battery holder.

Rubber gloves are good for grasping batteries and pulling them if there's no ribbon. You'd have to keep a pair in the car for when you are out.

And just hope it isn't either night or in a suburban neighborhood, when you're spotted... parked, alone... pulling on the latex. :eek:

:p

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I was wondering if there would be room for epoxy in the battery box. The ribbon is usually attached behind the battery holder.

Rubber gloves are good for grasping batteries and pulling them if there's no ribbon. You'd have to keep a pair in the car for when you are out.

Honestly, they could be worse. One light-to-medium-strength smack to my hand loosens the batteries enough that I can remove them without too much prying. The tightness has clearly loosened just a tad from the beginning though it still just makes me nervous not having a ribbon for emergencies. I use appropriate batteries and appropriate builds but I do like to push it some and God forbid either of the batteries actually swelled, that would be very bad. Granted, having a ribbon wouldn't stop that situation from being very bad. It just might allow me to save the mod. So maybe I'm worrying for no reason, since in that situation losing a $20 mod would be the absolute least of my concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread