Insulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
hello. I have got into a habit of just checking my batteries, resistance and then I fire away.

Do you all check your insulators on the positive at the beginning of use?

Every now and then, but if with a fresh build yes. I clean up the contact on the atty and check the connection and insulator.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I visually check all my insulators with a 5x loupe every chance I get, when things are apart and such. This goes for atty`s as well as mods. Looking for cracks or any melting or deforming, any thing out of the ordinary. The thing with an insulator is that it works until it don`t, and when it don`t its a hard short. So a visual inspection is about the only way to prevent anything bad from happening. Magnification helps!

BOL. :?)

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Yes I do.... Im a bit OCD.

Every time I change a coil on some of my heavier used atties, I clean, polish up, take apart as much as I can and clean everywhere I can. A clean atty is a great atty !!!

As far as my mechs and even my regulated mods, another big YES.

I clean them every time I take one out that I havent used for a while. Even in a case with silica bags etc, metals oxidize, even the supposedly gold, rhodium, sterling plated ones oxidize. Brass bits get polished at least once a month on mods and atties, sometimes more. Theres nothing uglier than a brass positive pin especially on any Origen atty.

SOme manufacturers use better brass than others. I have to say that GP and GUS brass bits are some of the best ones. Some of the worst brass were on Super T devices, even thier SS got more oxidized than any other gear ( at least the ELAs, never had the pleasure of their original line )

I could go on and on. Part of the reason I love mechs vs reg is the fact that I can break them down and clean and blow out dust etc. I worry about the insides of my box mech. I have more access to my old Provari. I can at least clean the contacts and blow out the insides.

I had a buddy that had a bunch of high end mechs. He was always buying new ones and Id seem many of them lined up on a desk. Id ask about them and he'd say they no longer worked good.

I took a look at them and geez, they were SO DIRTY, juice in the wells, in the tubes. THe switchs were so gunked with food, grease, you name it. I cleaned a few of them and damn was he impressed.

I told him how could you be so OCD with your motorcycle bits and bobs and not think of cleaning your vape gear. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread