Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Smore

Researchers Have Finally Figured Out How to Stop Lithium Batteries from Spontaneously Combusting | Smart News | Smithsonian

Was going to post about tesla's new
Factory in reno but the news is pouring out on that one.

If you dont know, tesla is building a $500 billion, yes with a B, battery plant in reno called the gigafactory.

1000's of new jobs, state of the art assistance from panasonic, and the place is massive. Already the effects on the local economy are taking root and its not even open yet.

Elon musk is a true pioneer.

Google gigafactory if interested.

sketch804

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014

NOw this is What has me excited for the future! This is leaps and bounds forward from anything else around and I'm with the company, it could literally change the world and how we view power needs and consumption.
NOw if we can just get a 18650 with a bit more storage (mah)

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Also want to say nice background research to the OP. Also liked the article on Mr Goodenough, first time I come across this last name too :) Wish him good luck in achieving his goals; I like the diversity in energy storage research such as the flow battery explained in the economist.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

Tesla Gigafactory: Drone Flyover Shows How Huge It Really Is

Thanks for the thread Trasher

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
That factory is huge., we need more rich people like musk. Using their vast wealth to advance industries and ultimately the lives of everyone.

Now, if apple would just do the same thing.....

Kinda busy lately but I think instead of going huh thats cool and closing the page, ill keep adding posts as I run into them.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Stuff like this-

Samsung claims it can double Li-ion battery life using graphene - General - News - HEXUS.net

Didnt someone wish for more mah?

Super Battery Technology by BioSolar and UCSB to Transform Li-ion - The Green Optimistic

" recent AEM developments to study lithium-ion batteries will be highlighted, and the implementation of these techniques will be described using representative examples demonstrating how advanced microscopy methods can significantly promote the fundamental understanding of battery materials."
NPG Asia Materials - Advanced analytical electron microscopy for lithium-ion batteries

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Smartphone batteries with twice the life may arrive in 2017

A type of lithium battery that could make gasoline-powered cars obsolete is on track to be commercialized, according to MIT News. The "lithium metal" batteries, developed by MIT spin-off SolidEnergy, can reportedly pack the same energy as a standard lithium-ion cell in half the size. "Or, we can make a battery the same size as a lithium ion battery, but now it will last twice as long," says SolidEnergy CEO Qichao Hu.

Interesting. Double the life with a fraction of the risk? I like the idea. Especially if they can pull off the manufacturing process.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Replacing fossil fuels with rechargeable battery power looks like a valid solution to the fossil fuel supply that's running out. Transition must occur to maintain quality of life and clean air. We are just way too dependent on mobile power to ditch gasoline and diesel without a workable solution.

I look for a future solution where power plants shrink to a size that will power localized charging stations that charge batteries for point of need power. That's where nuclear could handle the load with a minimum of power plants.

Now, if Tesla's ideas could work and do that wirelessly we'd be all set up for electric cars that charge while we drive.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread