Intermediate vaper seeking $100 mod recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
I've been an on again, off again vaper for 5-6 years, and have only had the pen style. Bought a bunch of regular egos and then upgraded to Spinners back in the day and had a fun time tinkering with them. When tanks came around, I dabbled in those and clearos before heading back to cartos. In the end, I got frustrated with cartos and went back to analogs. This time, I'm back and ready to go full time vaping. I've spent so much time researching lately and have close to 50 tabs open right now and I'm simply overwhelmed trying to decide. A LOT has changed in just a couple years!

My wants are as follows: I'd like a 60-100w (more is fine as well) device that is rugged. Something easy to use, easy to swap out batteries, nothing overly complicated. I want a device that isn't so cheap that it's basically a throw away 6 months time. TC isn't necessary, but if the mod has it, I'm cool with it. I don't plan on sub-ohming right now, but would like the possibility to do so in the future. I'd like to shy away from a 3 battery device. Looking to put a Triton tank on it, if that has any bearing.

I'd like to spend under $100 for the mod itself, but willing to spend extra for chargers, batteries, etc. I've got an iPV D3 in my cart right now and looking at a Tesla Nano for a backup. I know they are lower than the watts I want, but I don't see myself using 100w (realistically), and they both got good reviews and seem rather rugged. But, just when I think I've made up my mind, I read another review and oops, here I am again.

My husband would like to find a rechargeable device (like usb rechargeable), if you have any rec's on one that is about the same specs as what I'm looking for, that would be a bonus. He's not a tinkerer and needs simplicity.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
I've been an on again, off again vaper for 5-6 years, and have only had the pen style. Bought a bunch of regular egos and then upgraded to Spinners back in the day and had a fun time tinkering with them. When tanks came around, I dabbled in those and clearos before heading back to cartos. In the end, I got frustrated with cartos and went back to analogs. This time, I'm back and ready to go full time vaping. I've spent so much time researching lately and have close to 50 tabs open right now and I'm simply overwhelmed trying to decide. A LOT has changed in just a couple years!

My wants are as follows: I'd like a 60-100w (more is fine as well) device that is rugged. Something easy to use, easy to swap out batteries, nothing overly complicated. I want a device that isn't so cheap that it's basically a throw away 6 months time. TC isn't necessary, but if the mod has it, I'm cool with it. I don't plan on sub-ohming right now, but would like the possibility to do so in the future. I'd like to shy away from a 3 battery device. Looking to put a Triton tank on it, if that has any bearing.

I'd like to spend under $100 for the mod itself, but willing to spend extra for chargers, batteries, etc. I've got an iPV D3 in my cart right now and looking at a Tesla Nano for a backup. I know they are lower than the watts I want, but I don't see myself using 100w (realistically), and they both got good reviews and seem rather rugged. But, just when I think I've made up my mind, I read another review and oops, here I am again.

My husband would like to find a rechargeable device (like usb rechargeable), if you have any rec's on one that is about the same specs as what I'm looking for, that would be a bonus. He's not a tinkerer and needs simplicity.
Just got a new Kanger Topbox...75w, reads kanthal, SS, nichrome, nickel and titanium. I love it so far!

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015

Have you looked at the Eleaf Pico? I've read many rave reviews on it. It's 75 watts and retails for around $30. I've seen Pico kits that come with a Melo tank for around $40 I think. It's a very versatile mod and it is tiny. It takes a single 18650 battery that you can swap out. I think the Triton would work with it, but you should go to one of the Pico threads here and ask that question.

Eleaf iStick "pico"

Eleaf iStick "pico"

Eleaf PICO istick Kits 29.25 Shipped

Eleaf iStick PICO In Stock Monday April 4th

Reactions: GeorgeS

Nick_Vapes_

Mar 31, 2016
I would recommend an iStick 100w, or 100w TC. Eleaf puts out very reliable products, which are always inexpensive. I would stay away from kangers recent mods, seem to be cheaply made And not work very well. If you can overcome the 3 batteries and weight to the mod, the Rx200 from wismec and jaybo is a great mod. I have mine topped with a theroem rdta, and I love it. If you ever plan to get into rebuilding, there's a ton of well priced rdas and mech mods, but you must be well versed in battery safety and ohms law to use effectively and safely. Good luck and happy hunting!

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. The Pico seems like it would be a good device for the husband definitely. Seems easy and usb rechargeable. Seems like Triton fits on it as well, so I could even pick up another one at that price and use it for my device at work.

If you ever plan to get into rebuilding, there's a ton of well priced rdas and mech mods, but you must be well versed in battery safety and ohms law to use effectively and safely. Good luck and happy hunting!

^ ....and that is the part of vaping that kinda scares me, the battery safety stuff and ohms law. Although I do have a few tabs open with info on that stuff, so it's on my list to read and learn about. Just not ready to jump all into it....yet.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. The Pico seems like it would be a good device for the husband definitely. Seems easy and usb rechargeable. Seems like Triton fits on it as well, so I could even pick up another one at that price and use it for my device at work.

^ ....and that is the part of vaping that kinda scares me, the battery safety stuff and ohms law. Although I do have a few tabs open with info on that stuff, so it's on my list to read and learn about. Just not ready to jump all into it....yet.

I hear you on the technical stuff. I have wanted my vape experience to be super simple. I haven't wanted to have anything to do with the batteries that you have to swap out, rebuilding coils or DIY either. The new Deeming Regs have changed my mind about all of those things however. I realized that I like vaping more than I hate the thought of messing with batteries, coil building and DIY.

I bought my first device that takes the replaceable batteries and it was delivered today along with a charger for them. A friend sent me a plastic case for carrying and storing the batteries, so I am making progress. I haven't use the device yet, but I'll do it soon. I'm beginning to learn a bit about DIY too, but haven't bought any supplies yet. Building coils will probably be the last new vape skill I'll learn, but I hear it can be very easy if you know what you are doing. If it weren't for The Deeming Regs, I'd probably never venture from my iStick 20s, 30s & 40s with their non-replaceable batteries.

I'm glad I have a enough time to learn all this new stuff gradually and not in a rush.

I hope you find the perfect mods for you and your husband!!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Another vote for the Pico, I'm thinking I need another! It can be as simple, in VW mode, or as complicated, in TC mode, as you want it to be. It has more features than most of us will ever need, or use, it's as simple as can be as well, uses a replaceable battery, huge plus for me, and can be recharged with a USB or stand alone charger.
I never thought I'd be this happy with a mod with this many features!
I'm not a fan of the 100w JUST because it uses multiple batteries and without proper care and feeding it can cause problems.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Another vote for the Pico, I'm thinking I need another! It can be as simple, in VW mode, or as complicated, in TC mode, as you want it to be. It has more features than most of us will ever need, or use, it's as simple as can be as well, uses a replaceable battery, huge plus for me, and can be recharged with a USB or stand alone charger.
I'm not a fan of the 100w JUST because it uses multiple batteries and without proper care and feeding it can cause problems.
I've got 2 of the Kangers, one Pico and a second one on the way.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

I'd recommend a two-battery device. You'll want that if you go over 50w, possibly even lower. I like Joyetech/Wismec/Istick devices myself, so the Cuboid or iStick tc100w would be my recommendations. Plenty of updates and can be had for less than $40.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Have you looked at the Eleaf Pico? I've read many rave reviews on it. It's 75 watts and retails for around $30. I've seen Pico kits that come with a Melo tank for around $40 I think. It's a very versatile mod and it is tiny. It takes a single 18650 battery that you can swap out. I think the Triton would work with it, but you should go to one of the Pico threads here and ask that question.

Eleaf iStick "pico"

Eleaf iStick "pico"

Eleaf PICO istick Kits 29.25 Shipped

Eleaf iStick PICO In Stock Monday April 4th
The Pico is great, but it should be noted that the battery life of any single-cell mod will be dreadful at higher wattages. Particularly as low capacity, high discharge batteries (like the LG hb2/4/6) are needed if the full wattage range is to be used.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I second the IPV D3 it is very sturdy, not thrilled with the battery door, but it's ok. It can rattle on occasion, if that's a deal breaker, then skip it and look for a D2, hard to find right now, but they are real good too. The Pico is also great, my wife retired all her other mods after getting that one. I may pick up a gray one for myself.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Rebuilding is no more dangerous than using prebuilt coils when using regulated mods. And the amp draw calculations are easy (forget ohms law, vw mods require different calculations).

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (3.2v on most single-cell devices) = amps

So, for example... 66 (60w +10%) / 3.2v = 20.625 amps

In multiple cell devices you can pretty much divide the amp load by the number of batteries (series or parallel doesn't matter). Going by the above example, a two-battery device would draw about 10.3 amps per battery at 60w.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
The Pico is great, but it should be noted that the battery life of any single-cell mod will be dreadful at higher wattages. Particularly as low capacity, high discharge batteries (like the LG hb2/4/6) are needed if the full wattage range is to be used.

I am so glad you are telling me this because I had no idea. I am a total newbie when it comes to replaceable batteries. I just got my first mod with a replaceable battery yesterday and I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. I'm going to take some time to read up on battery safety before I try it out.

The Pico sounds perfect to me, especially since I am a tootle puffer flavor chaser and probably won't ever use the higher wattages at all.

Reactions: KenD

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I'm using the notch coil in a Theorem RTA, .2 ohms in TC mode with the Pico. It's set at 370 deg and 35 watts for ramp up and I'm getting at least 8hrs out of my Sony VCT5 batteries. Actually, come to think of it, I got 14 hours out of I battery yesterday.
So it depends on how you use it. At 75 watts all day, I'd plan 4-6 hours, at 20 watts, I'd easily say you'd get 10 hours out of it.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I'm using the notch coil in a Theorem RTA, .2 ohms in TC mode with the Pico. It's set at 370 deg and 35 watts for ramp up and I'm getting at least 8hrs out of my Sony VCT5 batteries. Actually, come to think of it, I got 14 hours out of I battery yesterday.
So it depends on how you use it. At 75 watts all day, I'd plan 4-6 hours, at 20 watts, I'd easily say you'd get 10 hours out of it.

Thanks for the scoop! This is very good to know. I think I see a Pico in my future!

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
Rebuilding is no more dangerous than using prebuilt coils when using regulated mods. And the amp draw calculations are easy (forget ohms law, vw mods require different calculations).

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (3.2v on most single-cell devices) = amps

So, for example... 66 (60w +10%) / 3.2v = 20.625 amps

In multiple cell devices you can pretty much divide the amp load by the number of batteries (series or parallel doesn't matter). Going by the above example, a two-battery device would draw about 10.3 amps per battery at 60w.

^ Thank you for that! You explained it very well.

I bought my first device that takes the replaceable batteries and it was delivered today along with a charger for them. A friend sent me a plastic case for carrying and storing the batteries, so I am making progress. I haven't use the device yet, but I'll do it soon. I'm beginning to learn a bit about DIY too, but haven't bought any supplies yet. Building coils will probably be the last new vape skill I'll learn, but I hear it can be very easy if you know what you are doing. If it weren't for The Deeming Regs, I'd probably never venture from my iStick 20s, 30s & 40s with their non-replaceable batteries.

I'm glad I have a enough time to learn all this new stuff gradually and not in a rush.

I hope you find the perfect mods for you and your husband!!

^ May I ask what device you purchased? I'm sure we'll find the perfect mods. There is so much info here and you all have been awesome for taking the time to answer and provide recommendations.

I'd recommend a two-battery device. You'll want that if you go over 50w, possibly even lower. I like Joyetech/Wismec/Istick devices myself, so the Cuboid or iStick tc100w would be my recommendations. Plenty of updates and can be had for less than $40.

^Thank you for that info about the battery life. While I will likely order a two-battery device in the future, I'm a bit freaked out about the battery safety for now. I'd like to take more time to research safety before heading into two/three battery territory. Quite a few recs for the iStick tc100w though, so when I do upgrade, that's definitely one that I'll take a look at.

Well I'm placing my order this weekend and will be buying a Pico for sure, likely a D3, and possibly the Cool Fire as well. For my needs, and my husband's, I believe they will do the job. And tbh, I do like the single battery for now. As I become more versed in battery safety, I might graduate to a bigger device with more batteries if needed. I'm fairly certain that I'll be ordering another device or two in the next few weeks, but I'd like to get myself reacquainted with vaping before diving into the dual/triple battery devices. Thanks all for your suggestions and info!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
@nitesong The main things about battery safety, buy from a reputable vendor, RTDvapor is one of my favorites, others will chime in. If you are using them in a multiple battery mod, two or more batteries, label them in a manner that you will know they all go together. Discharge them as a set, charge them as a set and always keep them as a set. Don't grab one one day and use it in something else, don't mix and match them, they are paired or "married" for life now. This helps eliminate the problems of having one battery that has a higher capacity than the other one in use. What happens then is the higher battery works harder trying to make up for the lesser charged on and goes thermal. That's not good.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Hi Nilesong,

I bought an older model Provari 2.5 on the Provape Blem page. I never even considered buying a Provari, because they're so expensive, but this one was under $40, so I am very excited about it. They are supposed to be very well made and the customer service is supposed to be excellent. The only variety in my mods so far, other than starter kits, are the wattages of my iStick 20, 30 & 40, so I am way outside of my comfort zone.

I've been reading such good things about the Pico that I think that will be my next mod purchase.

J.W.

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
@nitesong The main things about battery safety, buy from a reputable vendor, RTDvapor is one of my favorites, others will chime in. If you are using them in a multiple battery mod, two or more batteries, label them in a manner that you will know they all go together. Discharge them as a set, charge them as a set and always keep them as a set. Don't grab one one day and use it in something else, don't mix and match them, they are paired or "married" for life now. This helps eliminate the problems of having one battery that has a higher capacity than the other one in use. What happens then is the higher battery works harder trying to make up for the lesser charged on and goes thermal. That's not good.

Thank you so much for the info! I do feel more secure after reading that.

Hi Nilesong,

I bought an older model Provari 2.5 on the Provape Blem page. I never even considered buying a Provari, because they're so expensive, but this one was under $40, so I am very excited about it. They are supposed to be very well made and the customer service is supposed to be excellent. The only variety in my mods so far, other than starter kits, are the wattages of my iStick 20, 30 & 40, so I am way outside of my comfort zone.

I've been reading such good things about the Pico that I think that will be my next mod purchase.

J.W.

Oh, nice! Congrats on your purchase. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread