Intermediate vaper seeking $100 mod recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
@nitesong The main things about battery safety, buy from a reputable vendor, RTDvapor is one of my favorites, others will chime in. If you are using them in a multiple battery mod, two or more batteries, label them in a manner that you will know they all go together. Discharge them as a set, charge them as a set and always keep them as a set. Don't grab one one day and use it in something else, don't mix and match them, they are paired or "married" for life now. This helps eliminate the problems of having one battery that has a higher capacity than the other one in use. What happens then is the higher battery works harder trying to make up for the lesser charged on and goes thermal. That's not good.

How and where should the married batteries be labeled?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
How and where should the married batteries be labeled?
That's up to you! Some people use a magic marker, some people use a label maker, some label them 1 2 3 4, some label them 1 1 2 2, it's whatever works for you so that you remember how they go. Keep it simple, but something you will understand.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
That's up to you! Some people use a magic marker, some people use a label maker, some label them 1 2 3 4, some label them 1 1 2 2, it's whatever works for you so that you remember how they go. Keep it simple, but something you will understand.

Thank you! It will be a marker label for me.

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
Just about ready to order and I'd like to post my cart contents and see if there is anything else that I need. Or any changes that I should make. Here goes!

iPV D3 - 80W - Blue
LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - 20 Amp (2 of these)
Nitecore Digicharger D4
Aspire Triton 2.0 (2 of these)
Innokin Coolfire4 TC100 Aethon - EXPRESS - Black
Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Body Only - Grey
Battery Travel Case (4 of these)
Aspire Nautilus Mini - 2ml
Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh Battery - Flat Top (2 of these)

Can you see any changes that I should make? I don't know if I need more batteries. I want my order to contain everything I will need to get us going again. Shoot, I just thought of replacement coils after looking that list over. I need those too, yeah? Some replacements for both the regular and mini tanks, correct? We used mainly the Boge LR cartos, so I think a 1.8 coil is what I should pick up?

I'll also be placing my juice order today. I loved Ahlusion back in the day, so I'm going back to them and AiV. I don't want to buy any more stinkies, so the orders I place today will get us off those and onto vaping full time. I'm kinda excited this time around!

https://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JSSINR25R&CartID=10

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Some spare coils and some juice and I think you are off to a heck of a start!
Ok, just checked, the Innokin Coolfire has a built in battery, so you wont need to sets of batteries for it.
Don't be afraid to try some lower resistance coils either, keep in mind you can adjust to suit your taste.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Just about ready to order and I'd like to post my cart contents and see if there is anything else that I need. Or any changes that I should make. Here goes!

iPV D3 - 80W - Blue
LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - 20 Amp (2 of these)
Nitecore Digicharger D4
Aspire Triton 2.0 (2 of these)
Innokin Coolfire4 TC100 Aethon - EXPRESS - Black
Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Body Only - Grey
Battery Travel Case (4 of these)
Aspire Nautilus Mini - 2ml
Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh Battery - Flat Top (2 of these)

Can you see any changes that I should make? I don't know if I need more batteries. I want my order to contain everything I will need to get us going again. Shoot, I just thought of replacement coils after looking that list over. I need those too, yeah? Some replacements for both the regular and mini tanks, correct? We used mainly the Boge LR cartos, so I think a 1.8 coil is what I should pick up?

I'll also be placing my juice order today. I loved Ahlusion back in the day, so I'm going back to them and AiV. I don't want to buy any more stinkies, so the orders I place today will get us off those and onto vaping full time. I'm kinda excited this time around!

https://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JSSINR25R&CartID=10
As there's high risk of getting fake/low quality LG hg2s at the moment I'd get Samsung 30q batteries instead. I'd also take them before 25r. So four Samsung 30q in total.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I wasn't aware of that and have removed the HG2's, thanks. What makes the 30q's better than the 25r's? Or why do you like them better? I'm still in the learning about batteries phase, so just curious.
They're 3000 mAh compared to the 2500 mAh of the 25r. Rated at 15 amps by Samsung, but Mooch rates them at 20 amps.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You might want to try a Kayfun 3.1. EHPro makes a great one. I chose the KF 3.1 over the KF lite plus V2 because the 3.1 has an external fill port on the side of deck that lets you fill without removing the end cap. I've picked up several backups for around $15 by shopping sales.

My around the house mod is a Smok Koopor Plus 200W. It uses two 18650's and for a Tootle Puffer like me, the batteries last from morning on day one until after supper the next day. I rotate three sets of 18650s. I have two Samsung 25R's, two Sony VCT4's, and a pair of Efest 3000mah cells that I bought the day I purchased the Smok 200W. They were out of everything else and I needed a matched pair. I keep them in battery boxes with magic marker pair markings so that I don't mix them up.

The Smok Koopor I mentioned above has a glitch in the TC mode. It works fine with Nichrome and Titanium coils, but it has a glitch in the Stainless steel mode. Mine has firmware V1.02. Later versions will have newer firmware. The sad part about the Smok Koopor 200W is that you have to buy an EPROM programmer to update the firmware. I'll just apply that $30 to a new mod that actually works in all modes out of the box!

I was lucky with the Efests. They last at least as long as the Sony or the Samsungs and they are both at the same voltage when I put them on the charger. They maintain equal and matched voltages throughout charge. I was lucky, I guess.

Stick with AW, Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony when you buy batteries. The best you can hope for is that the vendor you buy from will verify that they are authentic. There's a lot of re-wrapping going on in the battery industry, since there are only a few factories that make almost all lithium based batteries.

Last edited:

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
Your going to love that little TC100. Great mod with a very under rated board.
Oh I definitely like it quite a lot! I bought it for my husband to use but I like it so much that I'm gonna order another one for me. Just hoping to pick up on a memorial day sale this weekend.

nilesong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
Sector 001
You might want to try a Kayfun 3.1. EHPro makes a great one. I chose the KF 3.1 over the KF lite plus V2 because the 3.1 has an external fill port on the side of deck that lets you fill without removing the end cap. I've picked up several backups for around $15 by shopping sales.

Stick with AW, Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony when you buy batteries. The best you can hope for is that the vendor you buy from will verify that they are authentic. There's a lot of re-wrapping going on in the battery industry, since there are only a few factories that make almost all lithium based batteries.

Isn't the KF a rebuildable? That makes me nervous but it would be something that I'd be willing to try over the summer, so I will keep that in mind. And thanks for the battery info. I'm still learning about batteries so that is quite useful!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. The Pico seems like it would be a good device for the husband definitely. Seems easy and usb rechargeable. Seems like Triton fits on it as well, so I could even pick up another one at that price and use it for my device at work.

^ ....and that is the part of vaping that kinda scares me, the battery safety stuff and ohms law. Although I do have a few tabs open with info on that stuff, so it's on my list to read and learn about. Just not ready to jump all into it....yet.
The IPVD3S you have selected is an excellent device. There is also the new IPV400 dual battery coming out that is pocket friendly. Just get a couple of good pairs of batteries so you can swap out while charging and keep each pair charged and used together. I mark mine with nail polish. I believe the IPV400 advertises on board charging. Just checked your cart and it looks good. Myself I would stick with removable battery devices if you want future proofing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread