Intersting article about glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Claim--good find--that is why we only use 100% pure minimum Food Grade Glycerin. As the article notes:

"Glycerin is a chemical used to sweeten products such as toothpaste and pancake syrup, while ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol are poisonous. Switching ethylene glycol, which is used in antifreeze, as a cheap substitute for glycerin goes back as far as 1937 when more than 107 people were killed in the United States by ethylene glycol used as a liquid base for an antibiotic"

Good to remind everyone to make sure they are in fact using the correct and pure VG---Sun

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I think I got the wrong stuff then.:( Mine says Glycerin USP but it only says 99.5 % glycerin as ingredients. Looks more like they are selling it as a skin moisturizer.

Claim--Go to Richard's Health Food's.. You have one right near by where you are--they sell NOW--100% for internal and external use. 7 bucks for 16 ounces---Sun

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
If it's USP it's pharmaceutical grade and should be ok Clam. I use 99.5% pure glycerine myself because I heard that's as good as it gets. The other grade I've heard of is industrial grade and that's the stuff you shouldn't eat but can put on your skin.

I think the worry is not the purity of USP grade but the potential for corruption to lead to contamination with cheaper substitutes. Even if it was sold as 100% pure that could still happen.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
With all of our nicotine liquid coming from China this poses the question of where do our suppliers get their nicotine. Is it pure nicotine and they mix with their own tested approved glycerin or does it come in a pre-mix with a specific mg content and they just add there own flavors. Also I wonder if the dangers of the tainted products apply to any method of ingestion, oral or vaporized.

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
With all of our nicotine liquid coming from China this poses the question of where do our suppliers get their nicotine. Is it pure nicotine and they mix with their own tested approved glycerin or does it come in a pre-mix with a specific mg content and they just add there own flavors. Also I wonder if the dangers of the tainted products apply to any method of ingestion, oral or vaporized.

Almost all the liquids are made in China, the suppliers can ask for a special flavor or ask the manufacturer to adapt the liquid with more Glycerin or more PG, more flavor and ask to the manufacturer to do special flavors, but I don't think that they make their own flavoring, manufactures do that.

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
Regarding the Glycerin USP I found this info on a web site...
"Several grades of glycerin are marketed, including high gravity, dynamite, yellow distilled, USP (U.S. Pharmacopoeia), and CP (chemically pure). USP grade is water-white and suitable for use in foods, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics, or for any purpose where the product is designed for human consumption. See also Alcohol; Fat and oil; Polyol."

The part about China is what worried about the article myself especially after hearing the other horror stories coming out of China lately.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread