Intro & questions- finally upgrading my pen after 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi all! I'm 183 days stink free -- been stalking this forum for a while but this is my first post.

I have been vaping my starter stuff up until now - I'm using a Kanger Aerotank, and I have 2 Kanger Evod pen batteries and 1 Kanger Evod Variable Voltage. The VV battery is only about 6 weeks old, but the others I've had since mid-April when I started. All 3 batteries - I am only getting a few hours (at best) of vaping out of them. It's slowly gotten worse over the past 2 months and I'm sick of it. I've tried cleaning them, messing with the pins, getting new chargers - I'm thinking either they are toast, or maybe it's my tanks (I have 2 of the same). Either way - I'm upgrading both. Soon.

I think I've settled on the iStick 50W with a Kanger Subtank Mini. My bf has this tank and I know it's great, but I don't know anyone with the iStick. So I searched for it on this forum today and I'm seeing a lot of problems people have had with them. Have these problems been resolved? It looks like they were misfiring, firing on their own, even starting fires?? I don't need that. If they haven't been resolved, what else do you recommend?

What I like about this mod/setup is: Long battery life, small size in my hand, all-in-one rather than a separate battery, and I know I'll get better flavor from my juice. Bigger clouds are always cool too. Haha. So if you don't recommend the iStick, what else would fit these parameters? :)

Thanks in advance & Happy vaping!
It really depends on how you vape as to what battery and tank might be good for you. For the devices you've been using, you might consider an Istick 40w and a nautilus mini with vertical cotton coils 1.6 or 1.8 ohms for mouth to lung vaping. I have the Istick 40w on order since it's harder to find the Istick 30w since they've been discontinued (I have two of them, smaller than other box mods) and the 40 is only a little larger and still smaller than most. If you want to subohm and straight to lung vape bigger clouds try the kanger subox mod and subtank mini (I have the tank) or one of the other mods folks are recommending here. I use my kanger subtank mini on my istick a when I use it. Good luck :) oh, and you must be misstaken. Lol nice Nic ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Misstaken1213

Misstaken1213

Oct 12, 2015
It really depends on how you vape as to what battery and tank might be good for you. For the devices you've been using, you might consider an Istick 40w and a nautilus mini with vertical cotton coils 1.6 or 1.8 ohms for mouth to lung vaping. I have the Istick 40w on order since it's harder to find the Istick 30w since they've been discontinued (I have two of them, smaller than other box mods) and the 40 is only a little larger and still smaller than most. If you want to subohm and straight to lung vape bigger clouds try the kanger subox mod and subtank mini (I have the tank) or one of the other mods folks are recommending here. Good luck :) oh, and you must be misstaken. Lol nice Nic ;)
Thank you! I've been doing this for long enough, you'd think I would know more - but alas, I don't know much outside of what I've been using. All I know for sure is what I have is no longer enough. I like taste (which I don't get much of now), I'm not so concerned about large clouds, but I do need a battery that's going to last me. I actually tried the 40w over the weekend at a local shop and really liked the feel of it. I keep bouncing between that and the Kanger Mini or Nano kit. I'll eventually decide what I want. Lol!

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Thank you! I've been doing this for long enough, you'd think I would know more - but alas, I don't know much outside of what I've been using. All I know for sure is what I have is no longer enough. I like taste (which I don't get much of now), I'm not so concerned about large clouds, but I do need a battery that's going to last me. I actually tried the 40w over the weekend at a local shop and really liked the feel of it. I keep bouncing between that and the Kanger Mini or Nano kit. I'll eventually decide what I want. Lol!
I've heard the Istick 40w battery doesnt last quite as long as the 30, I will soon see. I use two 30w each day and recharge them every two days vaping 3 or 3 ml a day at 8 or 9 w. 19 to 24 mg Nic. If you subohm and use more juice you might want a longer life battery mod. Though most single batteries are in the 2200 ma hour range like the smaller isticks.

Misstaken1213

Oct 12, 2015
I've heard the Istick 40w battery doesnt last quite as long as the 30, I will soon see. I use two 30w each day and recharge them every two days vaping 3 or 3 ml a day at 8 or 9 w. 19 to 24 mg Nic. If you subohm and use more juice you might want a longer life battery mod. Though most single batteries are in the 2200 ma hour range like the smaller isticks.
Hmmm good to know - I'll keep researching too. I'm down to 3mg nic and was kind of hoping these batteries I started with would last me longer, I still don't know for sure if I'm going to keep this up past a couple months on 0 or if I'm going to let it go entirely. This might be part of my hesitation - I don't want to spend a lot either. Lol!

Reactions: David Wolf

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
If you aren't chasing clouds, lower power zones open up the range of choices. I use variable voltage, about 10 watts maximum with a 2.5 - 3 ohm cartomizer tank. I get good warmth, flavor, and though I vape a lot I'm still only using around 6 ml of eliquid per day.

Lots of choices, anything that avoids smoking is a positive :)

I highly recommend the Cool Fire 4. It's small and 40 watts is more than enough for me. I got the Cool Fire and the Wismec Presa, but use the Cool Fire almost exclusively. Besides it comes in different colors. (Got myself the purple and the amesthyst also).

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm good to know - I'll keep researching too. I'm down to 3mg nic and was kind of hoping these batteries I started with would last me longer, I still don't know for sure if I'm going to keep this up past a couple months on 0 or if I'm going to let it go entirely. This might be part of my hesitation - I don't want to spend a lot either. Lol!
If I ever get to 0 I would just quit :)

Reactions: Misstaken1213

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
If you do order the Istick, look for a 510 airflow control adapter like this.

http://www.litecigusa.net/Tank-Airflow-Controller-p/smok-tank-air-controller.htm

The Isticks threads are soft brass and people have had problems with them stripping out, even when they arent over tightening their tanks.

This is cheap and will take care of that problem from the get go.
Istick 50 is SS thread. MsNikita.com for completes teardown.rather shoddy internals. Complete with fingerprint!!..

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
I have had 2 Istick 50W mods and both had misfire issues. Both were returned within a month of purchase. I bought a Coolfire IV and LOVE it. It sits well in the hand and has a long battery life.
I also have the Istick TC40w which is a great mod but lacks on battery life. it lasts about 1/3 less time than the coolfire which lasts a full day.
I also use the subtank Mini. I use both .5 and 1.2 coils (different juices call for different coils). Over all I dont see a bad option here other than the issues with the 50W. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread