Introducing Futura - The Modular DNA 20 APV by NexgenVapor[ISSUE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
Just to throw in my $0.02 regarding electronics:

These days, the various "chips" or "IC" are nearly impossible to find domestically. Even if you call out chips from "American" companies, 99.9% of their wafer fabbing and their chips are made overseas. There are many reasons for this, but since this is neither an environmental, political, or economics message board, I will not get into it...

The PCB itself and the Reflow soldering (mounting these "chips" and "IC") being domestic can qualify the board as "Made in USA."

Also, the assembly of the unit, and the metal work was done in the US, so really, this is made in USA.

I'm not a support made-in-USA just for the sake of made-in-USA kinda guy, I'm more support QUALITY made-in-USA kinda guy. That's just me, your mileage on this issue may vary.

In the case of the Futura, looks to be quality. But as another have posted, I would like to see some review of the thing before plopping down some hard cash on it.

My own political opinion (and mine only), I do not like supporting terrible products that are domestically made. I think any companies creating junk and terrible products should be allowed to naturally phased out within our free market...

That said, I can't wait to see some in-depth review from various vapers out there on this device... I do not mind paying sales tax on a quality good, it's a necessary evil...

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Just to throw in my $0.02 regarding electronics:

These days, the various "chips" or "IC" are nearly impossible to find domestically. Even if you call out chips from "American" companies, 99.9% of their wafer fabbing and their chips are made overseas. There are many reasons for this, but since this is neither an environmental, political, or economics message board, I will not get into it...

The PCB itself and the Reflow soldering (mounting these "chips" and "IC") being domestic can qualify the board as "Made in USA."

Also, the assembly of the unit, and the metal work was done in the US, so really, this is made in USA.

I'm not a support made-in-USA just for the sake of made-in-USA kinda guy, I'm more support QUALITY made-in-USA kinda guy. That's just me, your mileage on this issue may vary.

In the case of the Futura, looks to be quality. But as another have posted, I would like to see some review of the thing before plopping down some hard cash on it.

My own political opinion (and mine only), I do not like supporting terrible products that are domestically made. I think any companies creating junk and terrible products should be allowed to naturally phased out within our free market...

That said, I can't wait to see some in-depth review from various vapers out there on this device... I do not mind paying sales tax on a quality good, it's a necessary evil...

I agree wholeheartedly, and I can tell you from experience that it's just as easy to make junk here as in China. Only difference is price. We've taken ridiculously great care to produce a level of quality that's simply unobtainable in a mass-produced device.

Sure, some of the chips may be from Korea or Japan, but that's unavoidable since they're not produced anywhere else. The DNA boards themselves are designed, made and assembled right here in Ohio (well, a little to the right of us).

Not to blow my own horn (although as a trumpet player I do need to practice today), but these things are awesome. I haven't put mine down since it was assembled by my own two fat hands. It's one thing to sell a product, but another to use it yourself - constantly. I give most of the credit to the DNA board, of course, but I've got other expensive PVs (household name withheld) that, while very fine units, just don't give me the same vaping experience - not even close. If they did, I'd use them.

By all means wait for the reviews. We're not encouraging anyone to purchase ahead of availability (although, God willing, that option should be available tomorrow). I'm pretty confident we'll get enough "thumbs up" to satisfy most, although there's always that one crank... :)

Last edited:

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Maybe I missed it in the thread but what are the dimensions?

Standard dimensions:

In 18650 mode: 5.5" long, 15/16" tube diameter, 21 mm top cap diameter (at connector).
In 18500 mode: 5" long, all other dimensions as above.
In 18350 mode: 4 3/8" long. all other dimensions as above.

"Flat" top cap and 510-only top cap: 22mm; 510-only cap reduces overall tube length by 1/4"

Last edited:

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
But how do we order ? Is there an eshop?, a list ?, do we message you here ? email you ?
Like someone else said before just take my damn money already :p

We're just touching up the website a bit, and I hope, hope, hope to have it up and running for pre-orders as soon as tomorrow or Sat. Then I'll be happy to take your damn money - all of it, please. :)

Last edited:

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Email list? Did I miss something in the thread?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

We have a list for the first 100 units, which are actually gone now. I mean, in the sense that the first 100 inquiries receive priority. But the sooner you order once the site goes live (looking at Monday sometime), the better. Obviously some of the early adopter types may not order, which will free up some delivery space.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Are buttons and other gaps sealed to prevent internal damage from juice leaks? I had a nice mod that was destroyed because of that....

Yes, the top cap is pretty liquid-proof. Now if you spill juice directly into the power adjuster or screen there may be a problem, but even those are juice-resistant.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Out of all the dna20 mods I want this one because of the options. Even if I don't need an option I like having it available to me.

Sent Between Spankings

Frankly, everyone told me that too many options is a bad idea - just give 'em silver or black and be done with it. I, on the other hand, overruled these naysayers and now there are choices. I mean, what's the point of an American-made PV with an Iron Curtain philosophy, right? :)

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Looks pretty sweet, excited for the reviews. Any possibility of the bodies being made from stainless steel in the future? Looking forward to checking out the site when it goes live.

In the Futura anything's possible. But frankly we think aluminum's a better material for these things - especially 7075 ballistic aluminum, which is strong as steel but way lighter. And then there's that pesky conductivity thing. Now, admittedly, a tube has a large surface area, and even a relatively poor conductor like stainless will probably work ok, we still prefer aluminum's superior electrical characteristics. Caps in steel are fine since they're so thick, and the distance the current has to travel is very short.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Is there any way we could see more of the color options? I would love to see what sort of colors this babe is going to be available in.
Plus it would give everyone something to talk about while we wait not so patiently for them to start being sold. ;) ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Well, if you can be patient for another day or so they'll all be up on the website. Basically you can choose from any color in the Cerakote catalog, along with some camos and patterns. These will incur a slight extra charge since they're one-offs and cost us extra. They'll all be available in matte or semi-gloss, so that expands the options even more. Basically, you'll never be able to decide and just end up ordering the default color :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread