Introducing... my bottom feeding mod (MyMod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Hello Fellow Vapers

My name is Paul and I’m newly registered supplier here. I’m based in suburban Chicago and my profession is electrical engineering. A year ago I got into the hobby of designing and making mods. Here is a bottom feeder mechanical mod that I made after numerous changes and refinements. I designed my mod based on my own preferences and needs, and I hope some of you guys like it too. :)

--No official name for the mod yet, perhaps you guys can help me name it. haha.

9i3EYig.jpg

Some info about my mod:

1. Base model is purely mechanical, with an option to upgrade to an electronically regulated version later. I like to vape around 0.9 ohm, but as battery voltage drops under 4.0V ish, I find the power less than optimal. I plan to release an electronic module kit later that will keep the output voltage constant with a shut off/warning light when the actual battery voltage drops to 3.7. Although electronic device like this exist, I want one with a higher max power output of around 25 W. In addition, I want to keep the mod as small as possible (for comfort and ergonomics), so I decided to develop an electronic module in house.

Installing/uninstalling the module will be easy, and only requires a screwdriver.

2. The mod uses a 10 ml bottle. This is because I go through juices fast and I’d like to cut down on the frequency of refills. Special care is used when designing the mod to ensure a small physical size, despite the larger juice bottle. You’ll notice that the bottle is completely exposed (to cut down on the width of the mod). The bottle is held taut against the metal casing by the elastic force of the Tygon tube, and is highly secure. Metal structures built into the casing prevent the bottle from shifting sideways. The larger exposed area of the bottle makes it a joy to squeeze.

3. The mod uses a 10 Amp automotive fuse for safety. You can buy the fuse at any auto shop and merely need to loosen/tighten two screws to change it. This can virtually eliminate down time in case you blow the fuse. Special emphasis is put on safety when designing the mod, with certain parts made out of medical grade silicone.

4. The mod has a looser fit for the 510 connector than most other mods. Instead, a set screw is used to secure the 510 connector to the aluminum housing. I designed it this way because I want the 510 connector to be user serviceable. By default, the mod will come with a plated brass 510 connector, but user can use aftermarket 510 connectors if they’d like, such as aluminum or SS. (Or I can provide them)
The 510 center pin will be made out of copper alloy, for lower resistance.

5. The mod casing is machined out of aluminum and anodized.

Below are some more pics of the prototype I made. It vapes awesome and one bottle of juice lasts a long time. Since it’s a prototype, some parts can be pretty crude, but you can get a rough idea.

The following pic gives you an idea of the inside. Notice the 10 amp fuse (red). There is a transparent silicone piece that fits between the (battery negative terminal) spring plate and the housing.

RiVNXgn.jpg

The following pic is a shot of the casing interior

vTVKpOG.jpg

Here is a pic that shows you where the electronic module (shown in blue, to be released later) will fit in the mod. Wires and terminals are not shown. The module will be released as a kit that also includes a few other parts, like terminals, different firing spring, etc.

T7pnGUW.png

A final pic...

NzNshEM.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed reading about my mod. I tried to make it as user friendly as possible.

Currently, I’m taking an interest list of ppl who want one. Just PM me. An interest list right now will give me a rough idea on how much material to order.

I will try my best to have the first batch ready to ship by Christmas, and will post a detailed video at that time. Payment will be taken when the mod is ready to ship and after a final confirmation with the buyer.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Thank you for your support

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Clever door design. Will it allow for door removal with a 22mm atty in place? Or are smaller diameter attys recommended?

Hi, there will be a version with a different door design that'll accomadate atty of any size. Rather than sliding, it'll be a magnetic door you simply take off. Only difference is, the constraint for the bottle will all be on the lower casing. I will post a detailed video of it soon.

The aluminum is 3 mm thick throughout, and really feels great in hand.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm not a box mod fan, but one is awesome and well thought out.
I like the open bottle design which should make squeezing much easier.
Please put me on an emailing list, I'd like to get my hands on one of these, especially once you have a regulated VV/VW version.
Micro USB recharging, and possibly passthrough capability would be nice.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Beautiful mod! Hold a good amount of liquid. What's the price point for one?

The only thing I would adjust is the firing button. Something with a little large surface and "beef" for the thumb. I own a BF and the buttons are similar, I added a cap to make it more comfortable.

Subscribed to this thread, looking forward to the updates.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Nice looking mod, what price range are you thinking about?

T

I kinda want to do a promotion at this stage. Price range will be between $100-$125, depending on how much I sell by Xmas, because that's when I plan to ship. Making a profit is not my number one priority at this point. More important is becoming an established, trusted supplier. However, there are some fixed cost I need to cover.

There is also this bottom feeding SS RDA I've developed that I want to bundle with the mod. It's pretty distinctive and I'll show you guys the concept this weekend. Perhaps I'll just offer an option of adding the atty for a few bucks more, just as a thanks to those who supported me from now to Xmas.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I often bike along the Fox River trail and see a lot of ppl fishing, wouldn't be surprised if I've seen you before...

Ya, I'm one of the guys wading it in the fall. You're probably biking by going what the hell are those idiots doing in the water :)

Do you ever go to Hollywood or Grand Victoria?
Went to the Grand once with my sister when she came up from St Louis but that's it.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Will the unregulated version be capable of handling sub ohm builds?
What is your target low ohm for the regulated version?
Just more questions and bumps to keep your thread up top.

Thank you, appreciate it.

The mod was built with sub ohmers in mind. Technically I'm a sub ohmer too since I vape at 0,9 ohm. The unregulated version is capable of sub ohm builds because all the parts that can heat up are made of heat resistant material, including the firing button. I'm actually mulling about a ceramic version of the firing button.The fuse is rated for 10 A so you can go as low as 0.5 or 0.6.

For the regulated version, my current design allows for a power of 25W, assuming a fixed voltage of 4.2, resistance of 0.7 shouldn't be any problem. The regulator will be extensively tested at different conditions before I will give the final word (not for awhile). thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread