Introducing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicotine10

Mar 31, 2016
Hi
I am a 28 year old student living in the UK. I am a non-smoker, that is I have never smoked tobacco and cannabis or any other material for that matter.
As I am blind, I would appreciate it if some of the uses could help me to navigate the forum.
My key interests include: politics, World affairs, Comedy and biology, particularly neuroscience. Unfortunately I was unable to study sciences at higher education due to my visual impairment, so I have resorted to forums like this to ask discuss and share ideas about how substances can affect neurons particularly nicotine, and how best to enjoy it.
Four example I have a question no one has answered for me. I have tried surfing the web and looking at scientific papers but found nothing useful, not sure if this is the place to ask it but I will put it here and you can move it if you like. How would taking selegiline along with nicotine or before it, in order to block the enzyme MAOB affect the subjective qualities of pure nicotine, for example from a patch or electronic cigarette slash vaporiser?
Thanks

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. I am not qualified to answer your question-- I'm not certain I am qualified to understand it-- but I hope some help will be along soon. There is supposed to be a sub-forum for physicians but I'm not in it as I am not one. We do have a few chemists and biologists about.

Reactions: NoFumus

MrDripper

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2015
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
So, if I am to understand your question, you are wondering what effect an MAOB like Champix would have on a vaper or someone on the nicotine patch.
Having tried Champix to quit smoking before, I found that Champix wanted me to smoke even more as where it was supposed to block the receptors in the brain craving nicotine, hence you would smoke less and less. While this is practical in theorem, it was not successful in my case. However, Champix did provide me with very lucid, vivid dreams/nightmares. I decided to quit using Champix after the nightmare I had where I ran over my 3 year old daughter with a lawnmower...on purpose.
I can only imagine that Champix or any other MAOB for that matter would have little effect of a vaper or someone on the patch. As vapers we are able to control how much nicotine we vape whereas in a cigarette, we don't. So, moreover, I don't see a reason for a vaper to use Champix.
Hope this helps some.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Welcome to ecf!

I'm not a microbiologist or a chemist, but I'm wondering why this question interests you. Selegiline is known to increase the effect of nicotine, and, in women of childbearing age, can interact badly with other commonly prescribed medications and cause hypertensive crisis. Given its pharmacokinetics, I'm curious why such a study would be done.

ETA: A little digging unearthed a study by Yale in 2004, under an NIH grant. Usefulness of Selegiline as an Aid to Quit Smoking - 1 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov Apparently, it didn't work.

Last edited:

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Off Topic

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016