Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I've got the chromed Griffin and use it every day, I think it vapes great and have not had any issues with it. I have the chrome tube and the clear one, but I hardly ever use the clear one, I like the metal better. I will probably get the new one regardless of it being all stainless or not. I think it will look great on my Vamo mod.
Agree the original Griffin works great and i still have mine albiet not being used anymore. This newer Griffin looks very nice and that top cap looks very much like my DID20 along with a 1mm airhole my favorite i bet it vapes great .
Just need someone brave enough to cut into all its metal parts to see if there stainless just a personal preference im not knocking it as these styles work excellent.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Agree the original Griffin works great and i still have mine albiet not being used anymore. This newer Griffin looks very nice and that top cap looks very much like my DID20 along with a 1mm airhole my favorite i bet it vapes great .
Just need someone brave enough to cut into all its metal parts to see if there stainless just a personal preference im not knocking it as these styles work excellent.

I got mine in the mail today. I'm disappointed...the cap is definitely SS, and it appears that the drip tip is too. That's it, it seems that everything else is plated brass. I went to clean up the top plate with some 600 grit sandpaper, only to reveal the brass underneath...:( What's really odd is that a small rare earth magnet sticks to everything. I really wanted the top plate to be SS, I think a big part of the problem with the screw holes stripping is because they're plated.

The tube acts as the stop for the cap, so it's easy to get the air hole to line up by sanding the tube shorter. You almost have to do that, the way it's designed, the cap has to be snug to the tube to stay in place. This would be a good candidate for a glass/pyrex tube, but the length would have to be pretty exact.

The internal size, screws, and positive post all seem to be just like in the original chrome Griffin. The outside diameter is slightly larger.

It came sealed up, but it was wet inside and the pre-built coil/wick looked like it had been burned in...maybe they possibly test them before packaging.

I really like the size and look of this, I'm just disappointed that it's not all stainless.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
I got mine in the mail today. I'm disappointed...the cap is definitely SS, and it appears that the drip tip is too. That's it, it seems that everything else is plated brass. I went to clean up the top plate with some 600 grit sandpaper, only to reveal the brass underneath...:( What's really odd is that a small rare earth magnet sticks to everything. I really wanted the top plate to be SS, I think a big part of the problem with the screw holes stripping is because they're plated.

The tube acts as the stop for the cap, so it's easy to get the air hole to line up by sanding the tube shorter. You almost have to do that, the way it's designed, the cap has to be snug to the tube to stay in place. This would be a good candidate for a glass/pyrex tube, but the length would have to be pretty exact.

The internal size, screws, and positive post all seem to be just like in the original chrome Griffin. The outside diameter is slightly larger.

It came sealed up, but it was wet inside and the pre-built coil/wick looked like it had been burned in...maybe they possibly test them before packaging.

I really like the size and look of this, I'm just disappointed that it's not all stainless.

thanks for this. I'll update the website.

Yes, they test them before shipping with a zero nic liquid to see if it burns and doesn't pop. they always do a crappy job of cleanup (although I suspect they don't bother)

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
I really like the design of the new SS Griffin (I believe some are calling it a "Chobra" because it's copied after the Cobra design).

After using it for a couple days, I like the fact that the tank tube can be removed for cleaning without taking the coil and wick out. This makes rinsing and dry burning easy.

If you could get a full stainless version of this with a pyrex tank...I'd buy a couple...even if it was pushing 50 bucks. If you could get it done with a friction fit cap instead of screw on, similar to the AGA-W I've seen posted around, that would resolve all the air hole alignment issues on most of the chinese genesis attys.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
I really like the design of the new SS Griffin (I believe some are calling it a "Chobra" because it's copied after the Cobra design).

After using it for a couple days, I like the fact that the tank tube can be removed for cleaning without taking the coil and wick out. This makes rinsing and dry burning easy.

If you could get a full stainless version of this with a pyrex tank...I'd buy a couple...even if it was pushing 50 bucks. If you could get it done with a friction fit cap instead of screw on, similar to the AGA-W I've seen posted around, that would resolve all the air hole alignment issues on most of the chinese genesis attys.

I have a feeling this is only going to get better as we go, soon enough there will be stainless and glass abound and no need to pay 50 for it.
if we can get them to use proper screws (which I am buying tonight) then it will be almost perfect except for the air hole position, which I have also suggested the friction fit :)

I should have the stainless screws and nuts for the griffin (and the tiamat/hydra) by Tuesday some time.

I will be putting them in packs. So they will be 1.99 for the set I think with the nuts, too expensive for sure, but if you have bought a griffin and I can verify it you can write in the comments of any order for a FREE pack of them (one free pack per griffin purchased).

This free offer is not for shipping them alone, you'd have to add them to an order.

I think you all know I already feel guilty about the costs but they can't be helped. Last time I put something on the site for .99 cents I was overwhelmed by one type orders and it really hurt the bottom line. Selling one item for .99 is not practical.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
I received my SS Griffin and was a little bummed (although half expecting) that the air hole doesn't line up with the wick. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to use to grind the tank tube down a little to get it straightened out? I don't have any sandpaper around the house so I'll need to pick some up. Overall quality is what you would expect for 25 bucks, I guess. It's pretty scratched up out of the packaging and with suspect construction, I'd say the AGA-Ts are a much better value for the money even if they are a little homely.

I'm sure this thing will perform fine with a little tweaking, though.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
I received my SS Griffin and was a little bummed (although half expecting) that the air hole doesn't line up with the wick. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to use to grind the tank tube down a little to get it straightened out? I don't have any sandpaper around the house so I'll need to pick some up. Overall quality is what you would expect for 25 bucks, I guess. It's pretty scratched up out of the packaging and with suspect construction, I'd say the AGA-Ts are a much better value for the money even if they are a little homely.

I'm sure this thing will perform fine with a little tweaking, though.

I used some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Put the sandpaper on a flat surface, put a little water on it and rub the tank on the paper in a circular motion while applying a little pressure. Just stop and check the fit frequently. It didn't take long to get mine to line up.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
im interested in purchasing the metal griffin tube and metal tube o-rings (and other griffin parts as the need arises). however, i have the vulcan, not the griffin. i know, i know. i wanted to buy the griffin but it was out of stock at the time and i let my impatience get the best of me. judging by the photos, the griffin and the vulcan look identical.
could someone please tell me the diameter of the griffin and the diameter of the metal tube? your help is much appreciated. thank you :)

heres the vulcan:
images

griffin:
URL]

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
im interested in purchasing the metal griffin tube and metal tube o-rings (and other griffin parts as the need arises). however, i have the vulcan, not the griffin. i know, i know. i wanted to buy the griffin but it was out of stock at the time and i let my impatience get the best of me. judging by the photos, the griffin and the vulcan look identical.
could someone please tell me the diameter of the griffin and the diameter of the metal tube? your help is much appreciated. thank you :)

heres the vulcan:
images

griffin:
URL]

The Vulcan is the same thing (as far as I know), someone didn't like my naming scheme :)
I will double check the measurements sometime in the am, I have to get a new caliper, put a new battery in mine and it's giving me multiple readings. If I do not reply, email me instead.

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
The Vulcan is the same thing (as far as I know), someone didn't like my naming scheme :)
I will double check the measurements sometime in the am, I have to get a new caliper, put a new battery in mine and it's giving me multiple readings. If I do not reply, email me instead.

The Griffin is a beautiful winged creature, while Vulcan is an ugly Roman Deity. I prefer the Griffin. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread