Introduction and new-comer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaHodgetts

May 23, 2016
Hello there!

I am from the uk and new to vaping! (and to forums in general, so be gentle!)
I started vaping to help me quite smoking and have been doing so for the last 3-4weeks.

I have been vaping a ego twist 2 starter kit (with the gs v-core iii) tank and have experienced a couple of issues, and the latest one I don't know what to do. So if anyone could help or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

My first issue was the product not firing at all, I have since returned the product and they have replaced the tank. (Although they never admitted a fault, im putting it down to a leak at the bottom causing a disconnect between the coil and battery) New tank worked fine......until now.

Now I seem to be getting a horrible metal taste in my mouth when vaping. Leaving a disgusting taste on my tongue. What do i do? I cant even taste the flavour in the liquid.

Its just had a new coil put into it, which I cleaned the whole think whilst changing.

I know there are probably answers out there in the big bad world of this forum, but if someone wouldn't mind helping I'd really appreciate it.

Do I need a new tank? Id so what tank? A new Coil? A new mouthpiece?

Arggghhh. Help!

A confused and out of pocket newcomer here!

Thanks in advance

MaHodgetts!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let me first ask the obvious. Did you adequately prime the coil prior to filling the tank with e-liquid?

It may be that your coil has gone bad, even if it has only been in use for a day or so. Life expectancy is supposed to be 2 - 3 weeks, but I've had some coils be DOA right out of the package.

Is your e-liquid thick? High vg to pg ratio? Thicker e-liquids don't wick fast, and can cause "dry hits" or burnt hits.

If you are in the market for a new, different tank, I suggest the Aspire Nautilus Mini.

Reactions: BrotherBob

MaHodgetts

May 23, 2016
Hi Baditude.

Thanks for responding.

The coil has only been in for 3-4 days. cleaned it all before putting it in.
Im not sure what priming is. Sorry. Not sure what the vg/pg ratio is either. sorry. I really am new to this.
Its my last coil too! :-(
Im still getting vape from it, it just tastes like sh*t.

Not in the market for anything new just yet. as have ordered new coild and more liquid.

But just out of interest, will the tank you mentioned work off my battery?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @MaHodgetts

Well done on making the switch, on that we'll all agree. :)

Now, I'm sorry to say that GS V-core III is a a £4 tank that would probably not pass the test for most of us. Whoever sold it to you knows a thing or two about selling cheap stuff... so you either got it cheap and need to write it off or maybe paid over the odds for something a bit 'off piste' I'm afraid.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Not everything in the e-cig world is equal and the technology has moved so fast even the most enthusiastic of us have trouble keeping up.
The newest tanks do not leak, taste good, and the coils (replacement atomizer heads) are good for a minimum of a week or two.

GS 'logo' products are something I come across from time to time. Oddly, I am trying to order 20 x GS H2 tanks (and 100 atomizer heads) for a local lady who is in desperate need of help.

Why? ... because the shop she uses charges £5.99 for the tank and £3 for each replacement coil. She wants to stock up before November 2016, as from that date we have no idea just what will still be on sale.
The tanks are really £1.30 and the coils are 50p. The only conclusion I can draw is that the shop that's selling this stuff is less interested in her vaping than reducing the amount of £5 notes in her purse.

That's the way it is.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Im not sure what priming is.
Priming a Coil

All cotton coils have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the burned taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops of juice right inside the coil (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head), another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. I watch the cotton absorb the eliquid and when it can't hold any more I put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.
Not sure what the vg/pg ratio is either.
If your VG is too high (VG is very thick) your tank can't wick the juice fast enough to keep up and you get dry/burnt hits.

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thank you very much for the help guys!!
I guess I've had a dud coil. Such a pain when I have no more!
I think I might take this opportunity to invest in a new tank. And stock up on coils.
I've been recommended the nautilus mini before. Should've took their advice!

Mini Nautilus. £17.99
5 x Coils £8 to £9.

If a shop wants to charge you £20 for the tank, sure, why not.
If a shop wants to charge you £3 per coil, tell them no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread