ipv4 temp control question

Status
Not open for further replies.

benearl1

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
new jersey
Hey everyone

Im wondering what the resistance limits are on the ipv4 for temp control mode. I've read .05-.1+ but I'm not sure how accurate this is. What I really want to know is if id be able to fire a dual coil 26 gauge ni200 build with it? Or should I get 28 gauge instead?

I normally use dual 22 gauge kanthol coils and would prefer to try temp control with the thickest wire for a dual nickel coil build.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
length = overall resistance per gauge thickness

Simply make your wraps correctly for the required Min./Max.
Standard Resistance: 0.1-3.0 Ohms

Joules Resistance: 0.12-1.0 Ohms

* NOTE - the Thicker the wire, the more power used to heat said wire and the slower the cooling time. :rolleyes:

benearl1

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
new jersey
I think 24 gauge might be a stretch. Maybe a single coil if your lucky.. nickel wire is non resistance so it takes a lot of wire and wraps to get up to the requirements. It would be hard to fit such long coils in an rda.

That's why I was hoping to see if anyone was able to fit dual 26 gauge nickel wires In an rda and be able to get a .12 ohm reading.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
just take your wire say 2/3 strands instead of one and twist it in a drill then wrap your coil.

i have experimented with many different builds w/my DNA40's lower resistance does not mean better, have discovered that a single coil between .23 to .28 gives a much better vape.....and you can get these resistances twisting strands in your drill.

edit: rite now i'm using a single .29 coil on my IPV4 and it's rockin

Last edited:

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Nickel builds below .12 work fine on the IPV4. This particular build shows as .078 on the SX Mini M Class. I think the limit is .05, at least the first build I tried was below that IIRC and it would not fire.

My other nickel build shows around .2. But every build I do on the Lemo comes out way lower than the ones I do on the Lemo 2, even with the same amount of wraps. This is 8 wraps of 26ga Ni200, BTW.

w6tKBItl.jpg

Huh, pic won't post. It shows .08 on the IPV4 display.

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I have a twisted 28g ni200 single coil, it's at .06 and is great. Was having a hard time getting dual coils to reach a high enough ohm to use, was getting "resistance too low" alot so I gave in and went single coil. BUT- with the twisted 28g, .06 build,I'm only at 35 joules and °350. Thats alot lower than alot of people I've seen,which are maxing their mod out at 50 joules at °450-°500. Cotton burns at around °410 (I've read) so I'm liking being down at °350.
I was SURE I wanted a dual coil setup,and gave it about an hour of tinkering with different wraps, spaced not spaced,etc. Finally went single coil and I'm SUPER happy. Oh and by twisting the wire,it made it MUCH easier to work with,and I can really cramp down on the leads,they don't break as easily. Hope this helps, it took me a week or two t figure this out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread