Is 6 mg of nicotine more or less then a cigarette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drick85

Jun 8, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I think the posters above who correlated the nic hit vs throat hit and the need for nicotine itself vs throat hit are right on. I'm rather new to trying the many flavors, pg/vg blends and various nicotine mg/ml juices and it seems there is a LOT of variation based on vendor, steeping time and adjustments to the variables above that effect how the vapor feels to the user. For me it was for sure more about how it felt than how it tasted the first few weeks and as I've honed in on my favorite PG/VG blends and nicotine satisfaction, now I'm able to spend more time finding my favorite flavors and blends to choose my favorite ADV.

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
The problem for the vast majority who try and reduce to 0mg eliquid is not nicotine dependency. It's the fact that nicotine provides about 90% of the throat hit that mimics smoking that we feel when we vape. 0 nic = 0 throat hit. It's like vaping air. It's why such a small minority every get to that point. And additives to duplicate throat hit do not duplicate the TH from nicotine. Some will provide an irritation or sensation that may be enough to make it all the way to 0. It just won't be the same feel as vaping with nic eliquid.

You may be able to join that small minority. Good Luck

I found this to be very true as well. I had to work my way down to 12mg because the throat hit was too strong for me at higher nicotine levels. My body can handle more nicotine but my throat can't.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
It can also depend on the device you are using. I found that I have been steadily dropping the nic content of my liquid when using an Octopus on my Vamo. Seems to amplify the effect of the nic somehow.

I've been steadily dropping for months now...

When I first started out, I used 24mg in the AM and 18mg for the rest of the day (to help me get over the first cig of the day). Within 2 weeks, I only needed the 18mg. About a month later, I was trying 18mg in the AM and 12mg throughout the day but I was quickly finding that 12mg in the morning (because it was still in my cartomiser) was doing the trick. Since then, I've been gradually weaning it down 1mg at a time and just today I've started vaping 7mg. 8mg was a sticking point for me and I stayed there for quite some time so I've deliberately knocked it down to 7mg because I figure its a psychological thing.

Another poster commented on the nicotine affecting TH. This is one of the reasons why I'm doing it 1mg at a time, so in theory, it'll hardly be noticeable by the time I get down to 1 or 2mg.

I think one of the many, many advantages of using a ecig as an alternative to cigarettes, or even NRTs, is that there is the much greater option to tailor it to your individual needs. Whereas the tobacco companies are keeping us hooked on a drug for their benefit, and NRTs seek to wean us off nicotine at a rate and in a means that just does not work, our PVs allow us to find what works for us. I hope to get off nicotine altogether one day, in part because I'm a girl and if I ever have kids, I'd rather not have nicotine in my system whilst pregnant but that is a long, long way off!x

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'd certainly wager it's the dependency on nicotine over the 'throat hit'

Nicotine, to a degree, effects everyone differently, so for some, the dependency element in nicotine could still be playing a part of the desire. But by doing this for 4 years and all the posts I have read on the subject, having no throat hit is a VERY BIG part of why people do not vape 0 nic eliquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread