Not open for further replies.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Genuwyne eGO batteries aren't 3.7v - they're regulated at 3.4v :D

A 14500 battery is 900mAh give or take. It'll last longer than your 650mAh battery but might not last longer than the 1000mAh you already have. If you have 3.7v batteries now you'll benefit from cheaper battery replacement but will the batteries last longer? No.

Hope this helps -

Lambch3p

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Sunny Tampa Florida
The egos are 3.2 regulated where as mods are usually 3.7 so your vapor is a little warmer and there is more of it. I have many egos and I love them but I prefer the warmer vapor a true 3.7 battery puts out. A cheap way to find out if you like a true 3.7 battery is to try madvapes ego style battery. It is in their bargain bin for $9.99. It is a 3.7 battery. Or try gotvapes variable ego battery. It goes up to 4.2 but is more expensive at about $30. Riva batteries are also 3.7's. :)

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
The egos are 3.2 regulated ...

Oops. I did say 3.4, didn't I? My bad.

bolt.gif

grin.gif

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
How long do the Rivas actually stay at 3.7? I switched to a regulated VV mod right when the newer Rivas were coming out.

Unless a mod is regulated at 3.7V, its performance will depend a lot on the particulars of the batteries, what their discharge characteristic looks like.

I know some people like fixed 3.7V, but I'm really happy to have gone for something with more oomph, regulated variable voltage, adjustable 3.5 - 5.5V. I vape up around 8W, 5V, the great majority of the time, dialing up or down for particular liquids or if I simply want more or less kick.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
How long do the Rivas actually stay at 3.7?

edit: I had to delete everything in this post as the dead 900mAh madvapes battery had a center post issue - it wasn't dead :)

Can't speak about a genuwyne Riva battery but the 900mAh batteries in MV's bargain bin are rated at 3.7v and come off the charger at 4.2v. I'm gonna run one down to the cutoff, let it sit for a few minutes and then check it with a voltmeter. More later :)

Last edited:

michaelcly

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Atlantic Beach, FL
Yes it is.
I too am a 650 eGo user. I also have 808d's. Recently I switched to a cheap, single 14500 box mod. Here's what I've noticed.

1. The box vapes longer. I went 16 hours and it was still going.
2. It vapes stronger and warmer off the charger. It wanes a little but even then it's stronger than the eGo. Both w Boge lr carto
3. I can chain vape more.
4. It is not elegant like the eGo
5. My box has a built in charger. That's great because it smokes all day then goes on the charger.
6. The ech-e (not dual coil) vaped the same on each. I needed an extender for the box)
7. IMO (not experience) it will be better for trying low res atty's and cartos.

SOOOO. is it twice as good? Nope. Is it 8% better? Yup. Is it uglier? Yup. Do I smoke it more? Yup. Once you get that warmer vape, you find it difficult to go back

I'll also say it only teased me to get something HV. I won't go there though cause at some point I have to say "enough."
I've ordered some low res cartos for the box I'm dying to try. They're 1.6 lr single coil cartos. They also work on the 650 eGo if you rest it a little. I'll stop there is it works.

Some say the best vape on an eGo is the new 1.7ohm DC echo-e from mtvapor. It's free with a juice order. Got one of those ordered too.

Last edited:

byggd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2011
So Cal
Thanks for all the input! I "thought" the 1000mAh bat I bought was listed @ 3.7V?? Guess I could take a reading but they need to be under load for a true reading? Anywho, I read the MV bats need to be modified to work with a ego-t and I'm not sure its worth the hassle. I wonder how they work with a LR boge carto? I do like the look of the eGo bat better than most of the mods. With my luck a LEO will see me using a mod and think i'm smokin mary-jane.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Thanks for all the input! I "thought" the 1000mAh bat I bought was listed @ 3.7V?? Guess I could take a reading but they need to be under load for a true reading? Anywho, I read the MV bats need to be modified to work with a ego-t and I'm not sure its worth the hassle. I wonder how they work with a LR boge carto? I do like the look of the eGo bat better than most of the mods. With my luck a LEO will see me using a mod and think i'm smokin mary-jane.

I'm vaping one of those 3.7v madvapes batteries now :)

Took me less than a minute with a Dremel tool to shorten the skirt enough that the battery has no issues - you've only gotta take off about half a millimeter. Also, you can raise the post on the battery, carto or both to get them to connect or use a magnetic battery spacer or a 510 shorty adapter. Lotsa ways to make them work and at $10 each I think they're worth the trouble ;)

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I think the primary advantage to 3.7v mods over stock stuff are the maximum amps the switch can handle and that any electronics that might be in the device/battery allows. Some of the nicer ones also regulate the power to a steady 3.7v under load.

Many LR and Dual Coil products can hit 3 amps fast. While the 3.7v may be more than enough voltage to get the power you want, the current (amperage) ceiling might not be enough.

If you don't need to run super LR stuff all the time, the stock stuff is usually just fine.

Want to run 1.25 or 1.5 Ohm dualies all the time? Look into a mod that can handle at least 3 amps current. Bigger high drain batteries are also recommended. The high drain batteries will sometimes show a lower mah rating, but consider this is because they expect you'll be pulling more amps at a time. With a regular carto on such a battery, the mah rating should go up considerably since you are still in the 3.7v neighborhood but asking for less current. So...even though the 'mah rating stamped on the high drain battery is lower than the same size battery that is not approved as high drain', go for high drain version if you want to use alot of LR atties/cartos or dual coils. Essentially it's the same battery, but tested/intended to be safe for devices that pull more amps.

Last edited:

byggd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2011
So Cal
I'm vaping one of those 3.7v madvapes batteries now :)

Took me less than a minute with a Dremel tool to shorten the skirt enough that the battery has no issues - you've only gotta take off about half a millimeter. Also, you can raise the post on the battery, carto or both to get them to connect or use a magnetic battery spacer or a 510 shorty adapter. Lotsa ways to make them work and at $10 each I think they're worth the trouble ;)
There are lots of knockoffs ( some good, some not so good) that are not pulse regulated voltage.
Does anyone know if these units are pulse regulated.

byggd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2011
So Cal
I know the 3.7v generic madvapes batteries aren't. They come off the charger at 4.2v and are a pretty nice vape - when they get down to their cutoff they feel a little less potent than a 3.4v eGO battery does coming off the charger - and the eGO's regulated.
Thanks. Will I be able to use my eGo charger with these without damaging it?

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Thanks. Will I be able to use my eGo charger with these without damaging it?

I do. I *did* see something on hoosierecigsupply about not charging 1100mAh KGO batteries on a genuwyne Joyetech charger but that's all I've seen. My genuwyne Joyetech charger was DOA in the kit I got so I'm using a generic 420ma charger but I think there are lotsa people charging 3.7v batteries on them. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread