Is a 3.7v Mod Really Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Wizard, is that your video, or one you found (maybe a little biased?).
I think there may be something wrong with the mod that was used to demo the 18650 cell.
I've made a "couple" of 18650 mods and get much different results.
The results seem to be different that most test results on 18650 mods posted many many times.

I usually stop vaping at about 3.5 volts (loaded) on an 18650 mod and put it back on charge.

Here's a few shots with a crappy Ultrafire 18650 Big Red cell and it's no where as good as an AW High Drain cell. (note that the second photo is 50 vapes after full charge)
The last is with a Sanyo 2600mah 18650. All voltages indicated are "Loaded".

Late Edit:
I went and checked out the source of the video. So, let me clarify the point I'm trying to make.
The 1000 and 1100mah eGo clones (that don't have a PWM regulator like the eGo) will hit hotter than a real eGo. No questions, hands down harder hit than an eGo. I've used them, just not from that vendor.
The 18650 results posted in the referenced youtube video do not represent the normal 18650 mod.
At least not one that is working properly. The vendor has a nice product. No need to post false info.
If you see it on youtube, it must be true :)

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Just to be clear - exactly who here are you claiming is dishonest?

My read says he's doubting the veracity of the video.

Personally, I don't believe the video either but, it may not be dishonest. If those SLB batteries are pulse modulated like the eGo, that meter isn't accurate reading them.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Wizard,
If you believe the 1100mah eGo clone is whipping the tar out of an 18650, then you are not being 'dishonest'.
If the vendor doesn't know how to properly test mods, he is not being dishonest.
If someone missed the erroneous video on the vendor thread, you helped then out by posting it here.

The OP asked "Is 3.7 volts really better". What do you think?

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Wizard,
If you believe the 1100mah eGo clone is whipping the tar out of an 18650, then you are not being 'dishonest'.
If the vendor doesn't know how to properly test mods, he is not being dishonest.
If someone missed the erroneous video on the vendor thread, you helped then out by posting it here.

The OP asked "Is 3.7 volts really better". What do you think?

I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of graphs before I decided to post this reply - from everything I can determine that IMR 18650 *isn't* performing up to scratch in the video. Looking at power curves under a 2A load I'd say that either there was something wrong with the test or something wrong with the battery.

Strange, since the vendor sells both eGO clones and big battery mods.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
OK, so I'm forgiven?
:)

Often a mod will have an internal connection issue, or have a designed in voltage drop through a switch/resistor/diode/regulator. The eGo has confused a lot of people with it's pulsed/regulated output, most of the higher mah clones have a straight DC output.

One thing to watch out for with the "graphs" on battery performance is the voltage under load for a protected cell Vs an unprotected IMR cell. The protection circuit board has a Mosfet switch built into it thas has some "on" resistance.

Cells like the 3000mah (it's a lie, it's not 3000mah) Ultrafire have a single back to back Mosfet that has an on resistance of about 90 milliohms. On a 2 amp load graph this will show about 180 millivolts lower output. A cell like the 2400 Trustfire (the ones with the flames) or the AW protected Li-ion, have a pair of these in parallel on the protection board with an "on" resistance of about 45 milliohms. The curves for these will be about 90 millivolts lower than an unprotected cell just because of the protection board. Calculated mah will also show the loss in the protection circuit. Not a lot, but it is visible in the curves.

One nice way to test the output for those that don't have expensive test equipment is to use an automotive bulb. If a mod "vapes" brighter, the voltage under load is higher :)

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Yeah, you're forgiven :D

By my count that 18650 should have shown about the same voltage under load as the SLB 1100 battery but the 18650 would have run a fair bit longer at that voltage. The couple of interactions I've had with the vendor lead me to believe the issue was with the test as Brent appears to be a pretty straight-up kinda guy.

I do wish someone made an 18650 mod with which I could use an EMDCC without an adapter. An e-power doesn't have the same cone size, sadly :(

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    EMDCC fits right on here (so does everything else)

P1000409-1.jpg

But that lil' 306 is a better vape!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread