Is a loaded IBtank safe in its Thingy when flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmeat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Central WI
I'm going to be flying for the first time with my IBTanks. If I have loaded tanks stashed in their Thingy can I just put them in my 3-1-1 bag with other liquids?

On another note, what if I check my bag with the Thingies containing the loaded tanks? Will I have leakage problems due to the pressure changes?

I guess I'm also concerned about the extra e-liquid. I would imagine it also just goes in the 3-1-1 bag.

Anyone with experience with this.

This is all in-country here in the U.S.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Have flown several times with my tanks both in and out of the thingy. No issues at all, best to make sure the tanks are full as it is the air in the tank that will expand. The cabin is pressurized though there is some change on takeoff and landing. The thingy is air tight also so in there it will see no change at all.

Yes on putting them into the liquids bag, once through screening you can take it back out to use it. i keep my liquids bag and all of my in use vape gear in a backpack that I drop under my feet for the flight. Also have jerky, nuts, candy ect... in the bag. Oh yeah, I also take bubblegum for the takeoff and landing. Helps me with the ears popping.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I just had flew from LAX to Dallas and back (involved a few roundabout flights) and my IB tanks were stored in their thingies. Not a single leak! They were in my hand luggage, and I did put them in a plastic bag for screening (nobody said anything) :) I packed extra bottles (30ml) of eliquid in my toiletries bag in my checked bag. They were of course fine (just as your other toiletries usually are). I did put plastic around them in case they leaked, but there were no problems with that in the end.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
We have a pass near us that we have to go over when we shopping. There is close to a 3000 foot elevation change in about 10 miles or so of road up then back down so I have quite a lot of experience with changing pressure.

The interesting thing is that I have very little trouble with flooding due to that where The Mrs will have anything from gurgling to needing to remove the tank and wipe things down with a paper towel. Most often it clears itself up once down the other side of the mountain so it is only like that for a few minutes as long as it hasnt really pushed a lot of liquid through.

There are a few things at play here, one is use. My vape gets almost constant use when I am awake and my hands are not busy with something else so that helps to keep things equalized. The other is a full tank, I will almost always top my tank up when leaving the house where she will look at it and figure half a tank is plenty. It is the air in the tank that will expand and contract so the more air there is in there the greater the volume of displacement.

If you do find yourself in a situation where you think you might have an issue such as leaving a half full tank in a hot car or pressure change orient the tank upside down so the air in the tank is at the holes in the cartomizer rather than liquid there. That will let the air move through the cartomizer as it expands rather than push liquid out of the tank.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
OCD, so far I've not had my tank out and about when it's 110 (it gets really hot where I live) - and I often run out of the house with a half full tank LOL I never leave it in my car (can't leave anything in a car in that heat), but I wonder if it'll leak in my purse when I'm running around and not vaping? If so, I should probably get some halflings so they're more likely to be topped up!

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Never really had any issue with heat in general Amanda, it is the trapped in a car kind of heat or laying in direct sun where I have seen it get hot enough to cause problems. When working outside in the summer I just make sure when i lay a device down it is in the shade. My guess is that laying on its side in your purse it will be fine. I know that this is going into our third summer in this business and we have not had a lot of complaints about this so for the most part its pretty much a non issue. It is something that under the right circumstances can happen though so its best for folks to have a firm understanding of what is going on so they can take the small steps toward preventing it if their own style lends towards it.

ETA*** Also if you can put it into your purse with the tip down to keep the liquid off the holes it cant come out. The liquid in the cartomizer is not going anywhere as it is held in place by the filler in there so you dont have to worry about that. Extra liquid being pushed in is where trouble can start. Lastly and on another topic really. If flooding is a persistent issue then you need to change the inside oring, usually the one in the top cap. Most likely it has been clipped by a cartomizer. I have seen this many times and it is a quick fix.

It gets quite hot were are are located too so I hear ya on the 110* days. With the cold and wind lately I am looking forward to it, I worked outside almost all of my life so its easier on me than the cold is.

Last edited:

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I may start a thread on Desert Vaping. I live in the Colorado river valley where we get over 120. I drive a van most of the day and will have to deal with my stuff and the heat. I have tanks with tips and found some wooden ones at Desert Vapes in Phoenix. I need to replace the black and chrome ones that might burn my lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread