Is bleeding gums a side effect from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rascal24

Dec 13, 2011
California
I have been vaping for 4 weeks today without a cig! Which for me is a great accomplishment. But I've noticed that my gums bleed very easily now. In fact when I brush my teeth and spit the toothpaste out it is now a dark purple color rather then the normal blue. Is this an allergy to the pg or vg? Will this go away with time? Or is this something I should go see a dentist for? Other then that I haven't had any other side effects

Edit 3/2/12 Moved to Health, Safety and E-Smoking

Last edited by a moderator:

hchris

Dec 3, 2011
ohio
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

11. Bleeding gums
A period of time when the gums bleed has been reported as an occasional symptom of quitting tobacco. Apparently dentists have confirmed this. It's also a symptom of vitamin C deficiency, which is not uncommon with a modern diet, so it may be wise to take vit C supplements in order to cover that possibility.

There is a modern trend to take aspirin daily for many years - decades, for some people. If you habitually take aspirin then it may be worth asking your doctor if this might be implicated. A combination of tobacco cessation and chronic aspirin ingestion seems to occur in many reports of bleeding gums. A positive note is that the bleeding apparently ceases as the tobacco cessation event recedes into the past

minimouse

Dec 18, 2011
United States
Hey there Rascal --
Congrats on your 4 weeks! Since nearly all new e-cigarette users are recently quit smokers, it's very difficult to separate which symptoms stem from quitting smoking and which from beginning vaping. But rest assured, you're not the only one with bleeding gums! You may want to check out this thread on the side-effects of switching from tobacco to e-cigarettes: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

Here is the most relevant passage:
"11. Bleeding gums
A period of time when the gums bleed has been reported as an occasional symptom of quitting tobacco. Apparently dentists have confirmed this. It's also a symptom of vitamin C deficiency, which is not uncommon with a modern diet, so it may be wise to take vit C supplements in order to cover that possibility.

There is a modern trend to take aspirin daily for many years - decades, for some people. If you habitually take aspirin then it may be worth asking your doctor if this might be implicated. A combination of tobacco cessation and chronic aspirin ingestion seems to occur in many reports of bleeding gums. A positive note is that the bleeding apparently ceases as the tobacco cessation event recedes into the past."

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Not exactly. Bleeding gums is a known side effect of nicotine. What is the PG/VG of your juice? And are you drinking plenty of fluids? Vaping can be drying which can increase any irritation.

To avoid bleeding gums

- use juice with some VG in it to buffer nicotine's irritation. I started with PG and had bleeding gums and irritated tongue. I switched to 70PG/30VG and that help the irritation and bleeding gums a lot. Now I'm on somewhat lower nic and prefer 80PG/20VG (a bit thinner) in cartomizers (seems to help cartos last a bit longer)

- use cartomizers with a drip tip as a mouthpiece. That gives you a much wider stream of vapor coming in, not that tiny concentrated stream through a mouthhole. Also a drip tip will make it likely that you will bring the vapor in past your teeth and not right against your gums. But if the inside of the drip tip gets a bit damp with juice, wipe the inside with some tissue so it doesn't get on your lips/gums. Another benefit for your gums is a carto won't suddenly dump 1/2 its juice in your mouth like a cartridge can.

- don't use excessive nicotine

Last edited:

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
My gums are bleeding pretty badly after starting vaping. Seems like its less now after 7 weeks than it was during the first month but its still present. I now use mouthwash twice a day and had to change to a softer toothbrush. These are helping but its an annoying side effect of quitting smoking. Almost as annoying as the quit zits.

Rascal24

Dec 13, 2011
California
most of my juices are 70PG/30VG levels range from 12 to 18mg the main tip I use is my tye dye ming tip (prolly 90% of my day) so the vape is not hitting my teeth at all. In my first week I had really chapped lips and someone told me to put the tip in past my teeth lol it took care of that problem. I probably drink 6 bottle of water a day 16.9oz each. So maybe it is the vit c. I will try that for a while and see if it helps

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
go to the dentist if you have insurance what could it hurt, when I switched to vaping my gums bled so I made an appointment to have a cleaning my hygienist said that smoking restricts your blood vessels that when you quit smoking your blood vessels return to normal and your gums may bleed for a while and that quitting smoking is one of the best things I could do for my gums besides brushing and flossing and regular cleanings.

Last edited:

Rascal24

Dec 13, 2011
California
Wow that's a pretty intense side effect, hope that is not common for everyone. I'm anxiously awaiting my order and plan on quitting as soon as possible, congrats on being smoke free though and happy holidays!
Spartan it's not as bad as it sounds, they dont bleed constantly... only while I'm brushing and flossing. I haven't noticed it any other time, please don't let this scare you. I was just more wondering if it was a pg or vg allergy more then anything. Quitting smoking is a much bigger health plus then bleeding gum is a minus. I will give u an update after a few days of vitamin C and let you all know if it helps

My gums bled when I quit analog smoking a few years ago, and I wasn't vaping then. I, too, was startled and frightened, but it turns out that yeah, some of us have bleeding gums as a result of tobacco cessation. No worries mate, I've seen some pretty bad allergic reactions to vaping but never bleeding gums, It's pretty safe to say that this is a result of withdrawing from tobacco.

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
Spartan it's not as bad as it sounds, they dont bleed constantly... only while I'm brushing and flossing. I haven't noticed it any other time, please don't let this scare you. I was just more wondering if it was a pg or vg allergy more then anything. Quitting smoking is a much bigger health plus then bleeding gum is a minus. I will give u an update after a few days of vitamin C and let you all know if it helps

Hmmm mine was a bit more severe. I can taste blood pretty constantly, occasionally my saliva is pinkish. Brushing....was something out of a horror movie until I started using a softer toothbrush and a strong mouthwash. Thankfully it seems to be tapering off. Dentist gave me the same information another poster stated, its the increased blood flow to the gums from smoking cessation. Its not horrid and far better than the hacking up a lung every morning that I had when smoking.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Happened when I quit using the lozenge a year or two back (was quit for about 9 months), and also started back up again now.

I'd rather deal with bleeding gums than hacking a lung up every time I wake up and take a shower and listening to myself wheeze while crashing out.

Vitamin C is also an antioxidant if I remember correctly. Anyways taking a vitamin pill with antioxidants is also helpful in flushing the excess toxins and free radicals out of your system (majorly after quitting smoking).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread