Is Copper Wire Safe To Use For A Rebuildable Atomizer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiPTrippers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2012
North Carolina
www.vapetrik.com
Just curious if copper wire is safe to us for a rebuildable atomizer. I am using the copper for a positive and negative connection. The rebuildable atomizer is going to be for a genesis type atomizer, and i just wanted to make sure since the wire will be running up into my ejuice, it will be safe?

RiP

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome , and probably would be safe , although it probably won't work ( At all ) copper is too soft and will not hold up with the heating of the coil . That's why everyone uses either a nichrome or Kanthal wire . I use both 32 and 36 sizes , and I purchase on Ebay . Very cheap . You can also find the stainless mesh on there as well . Most people prefer the 400 size . Good luck .

The copper wire is right for you if I can understand well and you want to build a Genesis tank and want to use these as the connection between the atomizer and the switch and not as a resistance wire. The only concern is the coat of the wire. Do not use simple, naked wire and I think you should concern about the plastic, you have to avoid the reaction between the plastic coat of the wire and the liquid. So I think the safest way if you build pipes for the wires from surgical stainless steel tubes.
But it's just the "maximum protection". :)

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Bare copper in contact with juice is a bad plan. It degrades in juice and when heat is added it only compounds the problem. For the use you describe look into using silver wire instead, it has all the features you are looking for in the copper without the risk.

Reactions: Morgan_Drury

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I tried it, it seems that using it for the actual electrical contacts also seems to compound the problems asdaq mentioned. And the oxides formed seem to mess with the connection to the resistance wire.

A nice and not too expensive alternative.

MonsterSlayer.com - Silver Filled Wire

If you are planning on simply wrapping around the wire terminals, SS doesn't work real well. Hard to get enough 'bite' on it.

motelgrim

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Florida
Just to fill everyone in, copper is a NO NO when it comes to heating anything you might breathe in. You can't make any sort of smoking apparatus out of it due to the toxic gases released. You can use it for parts of the device that aren't being heated at all such as, a mouthpiece or body of the device that isn't taking any significant heat that you might breathe.

Having worked in plumbing for many years, I can tell you that when you cut open a roll of soft copper that's fresh from the factory, the inside of the pipe smells like naptha (mothballs). Don't know why but that, alone, should dissuade you.

Yes, please stick to stainless, kanthal, nichrome or any other *known* safe wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread