Is firmware upgradeable really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Omg! Your trolling right? Lol i hope to god you are!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Really, no need to be so antagonistic. People here are generally very friendly and helpful. You've clarified what was unclear from your first post. Drop this.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i bought my alien 220.. they already had an upgrade for it... at least they're doing upgrades, the ones kanger promised still haven't happened sadly, and some of the fixes are needed with certain devices. you can choose to upgrade or not, it is your choice.

@skiball most common devices, unless a mech, don't accept values under .1ohms, maybe you picked the wrong mod for what you wanted to do?

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    It seems that some companies release products with serious firmware flaws. In the past some companies would simply release a NEW PRODUCT and abandon the old one. Without upgradeability the owners of the old product were stuck.

Case in point: IPV6x

It kinda sorta worked upon release however there were a bunch of nagging bugs. I believe a 1.2 and shortly afterwards a 1.3 and finally (last I was keeping up) a 1.5 version.

Only the 1.5 version is fully functional. Since the device does NOT have user firmware upgradeability if you got stuck with one of the earlier version you'd have to return it and ether hope for a fully functional version replacement or exchange for a different device. (this is what I ended up doing)

Case in point: iJoy Lux

My Lux was working fairly well until I "upgraded" it from 1.0 to 1.1 and then 1.2. Now I'm not to happy with the way it works. iJoy has not released an update to the 1.2 firmware or posted the 1.0 firmware for us to downgrade to.

Moral: Having firmware upgradeability can be hit or miss. The OEM might release new features (or make old ones actually functional) or might introduce new bugs.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    a little late to the topic but :D

well, i think it's a nice idea, instead of having to buy a completely new mod in a year or so, instead i can just update my current mods firmware.
    I now have an evic vtc dual and just updated it and found out they added an option for a preheat so i mean that's nice, though i still only really use watts and not tc :p but one day i'll play with it.

I also like because I can now go and tweak and personalize my firmware bwahaha and yes i've already destroyed it and had to reset to factory but hey I'm learning and making my mod my own with custom logo and soon to have custom firmware so the screen will look unique for me and more useful for my own needs, i wish i could do color instead of black and white but it is what it is crappy bitmap....
    also because they can add new options for more temp control for different wire usage and ect and there again instead of buying a new product that offers new things i can just upgrade my current mod to have it :)

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl. USA
    Not sure but you may be able to find a 3rd party upgrade. The only 2 regulated mods I have are the Wismec RX200s and the RX300. I ended up saying screw the Wismec firmware upgrade and downloaded the Arctic Fox firmware which I'm really happy with. I liked it so much I ended up downloading it on both regulated mods. Granted I don't vape on them much cause I just care to use a mech or unregulated mods a lot more. You may want to look into if there is a 3rd party firmware available for your mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: David Wolf

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    You never know when you buy a mod if it's rock solid or something that was pushed out the door because some higher up needed to meet a target. Without upgradeable firmware you are stuck with a version 1.0 device that may or may not live up to its advertised feature set.

I'll vote for upgradeable firmware every time.

My relatively new AC1750 wireless router started doing some strange things recently. Lockups, loss of DNS connectivity, slow connections, all of which required rebooting once a month. New firmware was described to be a direct fix for those sort of problems. So far I'm a happy guy after reflashing it.

I'd hate to know I had to live with a sub par mod with screwy features that I just spent $80 on.

Last edited:

J.P. Ambrutis

Jun 10, 2017
    That hit or miss issue is what worries me. I have a brand new mod, and it's working flawlessly so far, yet I see there's an update available already. I'm not touching it unless I need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My wife's health band (pulse, oxygen levels, BP, etc) was an awesome X-mas gift for her. She loved it. Perfect. Then she updated the firmware and now has constant issues with it.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2015
    Firmware upgrade:
    Something I look for? No (example is my fav mod Tesla Nano 120w, not up-gradable)
    Would it be nice? Yes

Never have upgraded a mod yet. Not had issues with up-gradable mods I do have, so not felt the need. If an upgrade looks to improve my vapiing I'll do it if I can though.

The sad thing is that it seems the some mod companies have taken the approach of many software companies, using consumers as beta testers instead of sending out finished products

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    That hit or miss issue is what worries me. I have a brand new mod, and it's working flawlessly so far, yet I see there's an update available already. I'm not touching it unless I need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My wife's health band (pulse, oxygen levels, BP, etc) was an awesome X-mas gift for her. She loved it. Perfect. Then she updated the firmware and now has constant issues with it.

There's always a forum discussion where people are talking about software and firmware upgrades. If you check out the comments of those who took the plunge you can decide if it's worth it.

With most upgrades you can download and install the previous level and go back to what was working before. OTOH, if you are happy with the way your mod is working there's no compelling reason to upgrade unless there are new features or fixes for problems that you are having.

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    i bought my alien 220.. they already had an upgrade for it... at least they're doing upgrades, the ones kanger promised still haven't happened sadly, and some of the fixes are needed with certain devices. you can choose to upgrade or not, it is your choice.

@skiball most common devices, unless a mech, don't accept values under .1ohms, maybe you picked the wrong mod for what you wanted to do?
    Trying to do decent temp control with SS on a resistance as low as 0.1 ohm is a lost cause.

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi, guys!
    I notice that lots of mods all acclaim that they support firmware upgradeable function. However, in my opinion, this function is not necessary as we may expect. I think functions of e-cig are relatively simple and fixed. The firmware upgradeable function is just useless to me. What's your opinion?
    I have a Pico with 1.0 firmware and looked at the screen changes and choices in 1.03 and decided I like what I have better so didn't upgrade for those cosmetic changes. On the other hand I'm not so impressed with its repeatability in temp control with SS so I'm considering a firmware upgrade with Arctic Fox 3rd party firmware to see how that performs. So sometimes a reason not to upgrade for folks and sometimes a reason to. :)

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    I have a Pico with 1.0 firmware and looked at the screen changes and choices in 1.03 and decided I like what I have better so didn't upgrade for those cosmetic changes. On the other hand I'm not so impressed with its repeatability in temp control with SS so I'm considering a firmware upgrade with Arctic Fox 3rd party firmware to see how that performs. So sometimes a reason not to upgrade for folks and sometimes a reason to. :)

Are you saying there's a 3rd party firmware download for the Pico that might help SS temp control? If yes, link?

As for thread topic, I think it's a nice feature to have. No harm. If you don't need to upgrade, don't upgrade.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread