Is it legal to get rid of my old liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nectarguru

Jul 18, 2011
Wisconsin
Hey everyone. I quit vaping a couple of months ago and I have some liquids left over that I'd like to get rid of - about a gallon each of PG/VG, a few sealed bottles of nicotine, and some flavoring. Is it legal to sell these on my own, or even give them away? I'm not terribly familiar with the new regulations and what not imposed by the FDA, but it's my understanding that in order to sell any vaping equipment, nic or not, you're required to have a permit. Does this vary state to state (I'm in Wisconsin)? I'd rather not throw this stuff away, so if anyone can point me in t

nectarguru

Jul 18, 2011
Wisconsin
I might be thinking of the vendor regulations, but I seem to remember something about selling anything ecig related, from raw liquids to hardware is considered a tobacco device and therefore requires a permit to sell. As in, selling my liquids on Craigslist would be as illegal as a pack of Marlboros. With that, I don't know if that's US law or Wisconsin.

I'll admit I might be completely wrong about this information though, which is why I'm reaching out here for input.

Reactions: Katdarling

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I might be thinking of the vendor regulations, but I seem to remember something about selling anything ecig related, from raw liquids to hardware is considered a tobacco device and therefore requires a permit to sell. As in, selling my liquids on Craigslist would be as illegal as a pack of Marlboros. With that, I don't know if that's US law or Wisconsin.

I'll admit I might be completely wrong about this information though, which is why I'm reaching out here for input.

Craigslist, Fleabay, etc. all prohibit e-cigarette items. You can, however, list them in the classifieds here on ECF.

How To Become A Verified Member

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Craigslist, Fleabay, etc. all prohibit e-cigarette items.

That certainly doesn't stop thousands of them from being listed/sold on eBay at any time though, nor hundreds on Craigslist even in just my central FL area. I think they both "pick and choose" (by some unknown, hard-to-nail-down criteria) which ones they shut down and which ones get ignored. Of course eBay does that with many types of items though...no rhyme nor reason why some are shut down and others are not.

I agree that listing that stuff in the Classifieds on here though...is a much better option!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
With eBay, it is most of the time the wording in the item. If it is vaping equipment but states in the listing that it doesn't contain nicotine and isn't meant for vaping, even if someone complains they won't take it down.

eBay mostly only takes down items that someone reports. So if listed it will usually avoid take down unless someone reports it.

Reactions: Opinionated

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Hey everyone. I quit vaping a couple of months ago and I have some liquids left over that I'd like to get rid of - about a gallon each of PG/VG, a few sealed bottles of nicotine, and some flavoring. Is it legal to sell these on my own, or even give them away? I'm not terribly familiar with the new regulations and what not imposed by the FDA, but it's my understanding that in order to sell any vaping equipment, nic or not, you're required to have a permit. Does this vary state to state (I'm in Wisconsin)? I'd rather not throw this stuff away, so if anyone can point me in t

There's very little chance you'll run into trouble over selling a few small bottles of nic, especially from the FDA. If anything I'd worry a little more about state and local law/regs, but I wouldn't worry much about that either. There are quite a few people out there making a small scale business of selling DIY juice through reddit classifieds, etc., and it doesn't seem like anyone's interested in going after them at the moment. What you're proposing is much less dodgy, IMHO.

If you're extra paranoid about it, you could make it really clear that this is a one-time thing, and be careful to make sure not to sell anything to anyone under 18 (or even 21, depending on where you live.) Or just give it away.

I'm not a lawyer though, and very little doesn't mean absolutely zero though...

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Read their ToS. Yes, there are tons of sales on the sites, but if they're reported/caught, the sales are deleted.
I know what you're saying...it's just insane how much stuff is sold there. Example, Ebay is the best place to get TFV 8 replacement coils. All my regular vape suppliers are much more expensive, and never seem to have what I want in stock (probably because all the Ebay sellers have them). The Ebay guys seem to have a never ending supply.

Reactions: Lord_Mayhem

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
People sell guns, drugs and even other people today in our "society" without permits everyday. Yes, even in WI. I think you would be OK to search FB for local vape trade/sale pages and offer it up free or for some fair compensation without fear of persecution from the federalis. Or you could be thrown in the gas chamber for 50 years. *I'm not an attorney, but I watched LA Law back in the early 90s, so I'm pretty qualified to discuss this in a semi-professional capacity.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread