Is it nicotine I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
Hello all, back when I first started smoking real cigs, I enjoyed it because A.) It plain out got me "high" for 5-min intervals, which really relaxed me and B.) It was before the fire-glue law took effect. After say 6 months tho, I just couldn't get a buzz/high from cigs, and at the very most, they helped me feel better when drinking or made me feel groggy or different. In the beginning, was that really nicotine that got me "high", or was it the toxic chemicals blocking oxygen to my brain (so rumor has it)?

I mean, I'm one of those people who don't react to stuff easily; sugar and caffeine have never had the slightest effect on my moods, and I'm wondering if nicotine really does either, or if it was something else. After all, the high I got from cigs in effect was the same sort of high I once got from experimenting with an air horn (hushhushdon'ttell, imnotsuggestingtotryit) and supposedly that is from chemicals blocking air to the brain (but idunno).

I'm just mainly concerned because, for my first e-cig order, I order 24mg/ml or whatever cartomizers, as 16mg in a Blu Disposable I tried didn't give me any sort of buzz. However, if I simply don't react to nicotine or get any real pleasure from it, I don't want to be filling my body with it, and I'd just order 0mg cartilages (even the psychological effect vapor by itself does a LOT for diminishing my urges) so yeah.

priorities

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2012
wherever my daydreams take me
Hi...welcome...I see you have a lot of questions. I am sure some people will come and help you soon. Meanwhile if you go to the top left and click on 'forum'..go there and scroll down to 'health issues'..you'll see 'nicotine' right there...and it has info for you. There are also other related topics too. Good luck to you...take care....*

Tregs

Jul 29, 2011
New Jersey
I am not a scientist so this opinion is just from my own experience. But the buzz you feel is from the nicotine. As far as I know no chemicals in cigs blocks blood to the brain or you would always feel lightheaded when you smoke (and if you start our chewing tobacco chewing and dip will give you the same buzz). You don't feel the buzz as much anymore since your body is developing a tolerance which means you need a higher dose of nicotine to achieve the same effect. Also, Ecigs don't give an instant hit of nicotine. When you smoke a real cigarette the nicotine goes right through your lungs into your blood and hits your brain in under 7 seconds (from what they say). When you smoke an ecig you have to wait a little while til you start to feel the nicotine coming in so its not as instantly gratifying as regular cigs in that regard. But for me I was mostly a dipper/chewer before using Ecigs so I am used to not getting a fast hit of nicotine (dip and chew also takes a while to come through) so that aspect never bothered me.

Your days off getting a buzz are probably over. From now on smoking will only relive the nicotine withdrawals.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
Well I'm no scientist either so will just share my own experiences. I probably am more sensitive than most folks I guess, some of this may be natural, some may come from practicing qi gong and therefore learning to be more sensitive to minute changes in my body.

I think that it is a mistake to assume that the buzz you feel from smoking is from nicotine alone. In fact I'm absolutely confident that this isn't the case. There are hundreds of chemicals involved here in smoking as we all know. I got a buzz of sorts off of every cigarette I ever smoked, over the 32 years I smoked, although there's no question that the longer you go without one the more buzz you feel. However, as we know, the goal is to maintain this degree of relaxation and satisfaction, and not get tense enough from being away from them to be able to notice dramatic effects when you smoke.

So therefore given that we can smoke as much as we want we really only notice anything real different when we are away from all of these chemicals. I wouldn't go as far as to say that this just relieves the withdrawal, as there is a certain amount of effects that smoking provides that we just get used to, being more relaxed for instance.

Now those of us who have quit have come to realize, rather dramatically, that there is a lot more to smoking than just the nicotine. I have noticed though that even regular juice has certain things that effect you other than the nicotine, for instance the PG, and the flavorings. I have vaped pure PG and found a lot better "buzz" than vaping VG for instance. Also, I do feel different vaping certain flavors than others, and I'm talking "buzz" wise here not just the taste.

Having said all that though, regardless of what we vape, when we quit smoking and just vape regular juice, a lot of us definitely find something is missing. For one thing, we discover that nicotine is actually a stimulant and does the opposite of relaxing us.

So in the first few weeks of smoking, I struggled with this, some people will tell you that vaping will get you mostly satisfied but you never get completely satisfied compared to when you were smoking. Not everyone experiences this, but many do, and I was definitely one of them. When I quit, I swore off smoking, but did leave the door open to using other forms of tobacco such as snus or dissolvables if needed.

Well as it turned out something else was clearly needed, but what ended up helping me was WTA. Now, I am completely satisfied, and would not have it any other way. I am as relaxed as I was when I smoked, and that to me is a huge thing. It's more than that though and you really need to experience it to know what I am talking about.

So if you do feel too keyed up, more nic generally makes it worse, but there are alternatives ;)

plasticscones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Tropic
Hello all, back when I first started smoking real cigs, I enjoyed it because A.) It plain out got me "high" for 5-min intervals, which really relaxed me and B.) It was before the fire-glue law took effect. After say 6 months tho, I just couldn't get a buzz/high from cigs, and at the very most, they helped me feel better when drinking or made me feel groggy or different. In the beginning, was that really nicotine that got me "high", or was it the toxic chemicals blocking oxygen to my brain (so rumor has it)?

I mean, I'm one of those people who don't react to stuff easily; sugar and caffeine have never had the slightest effect on my moods, and I'm wondering if nicotine really does either, or if it was something else. After all, the high I got from cigs in effect was the same sort of high I once got from experimenting with an air horn (hushhushdon'ttell, imnotsuggestingtotryit) and supposedly that is from chemicals blocking air to the brain (but idunno).

I'm just mainly concerned because, for my first e-cig order, I order 24mg/ml or whatever cartomizers, as 16mg in a Blu Disposable I tried didn't give me any sort of buzz. However, if I simply don't react to nicotine or get any real pleasure from it, I don't want to be filling my body with it, and I'd just order 0mg cartilages (even the psychological effect vapor by itself does a LOT for diminishing my urges) so yeah.

I have the same experience! I can vape aloooooot and not feel a buzz and as soon as I smoke one of marb reds i get that rush. i always thought nicotine was what caused this. mmm i wonder what the true culprit behind cigs uplifting effect on the CNS is.

mamma00

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2012
Texas

Hello...well, I've never been a smoker, but my husband smoked for over 20 years, and has been successfully vaping now since January. I enjoy going with him to the vape shops, and at first, would just try the flavors he was. Then, I realized they had zero nicotine! When I'd do his...18mg of nicotine...I'd get an instant headache. Not instant...but within a couple of minutes. Now, I vape my own, zero nicotine...and no more headaches.

If you were a smoker, you're addicted to nicotine...period. My husband says that you don't get a "High" from smoking cigarettes...except for when you first start...you might get a tiny bit from the first cigarette of the morning.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
I would suggest getting a battery with more power using an atty and trying some WTA juices from one of the two companies that offer it.
Of course you can make do with what you have but I'd still suggest getting at least some refillable cartos or atty's so you can try different levels of juice which I could send you if you'd want to try a different level. Personally for me the nicotine wasn't the problem.
I don't believe nicotine is as addictive as all the propaganda say's it is honestly but there are thousands of chemicals in cigarettes which have the propensity to be addictive in conjunction with nicotine and all the rest of the drugs.
I'm always surprised by how many of the ANTZ "facts" are oft repeated by members here.
If you want or need more guidance feel free to pm me.
C.B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread