Is it O.k To Freeze Nic Thaw and Refreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
PG doesn't freeze until about -8 F (-22 C), and VG's freeze point is -36 F (-37.78 C). Unless you have a commercial/industrial/scientific freezer I doubt you are going to reach this. ;)

So no; removing and replacing your nic in a household/residential freezer isn't going to harm it. Though I have seen a "standard practice," commonly mentioned, recommending allowing the nic to come to room temp before using. No explanation; so I don't know if this is simply for convenience (warmer = thinner viscosity = easier to work with) or if there is some chemical benefit.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I was just wondering if it is O.K to Freeze Nic thaw it then refreeze again,Didn't know if there is any chemical changes when refreezing after thawing.

Simply thawing then refreezing an unopened bottle should have little effect, but warmer temperatures allow increased molecular activity, speeding up degradation a bit. More importantly, if the reason for thawing and refreezing is to remove some base, additional oxygen will enter the refrozen bottle, increasing oxidation. That's the biggest reason many break down nic base into smaller full bottles, keeping the repeated introduction of oxygen to a minimum.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I was just wondering if it is O.K to Freeze Nic thaw it then refreeze again,Didn't know if there is any chemical changes when refreezing after thawing.
I'm storing nic in 1 liter bottles long term. When it's time a 1 liter bottle is divided into 4 250 ml bottles. The active bottle comes out of the freezer every time I mix. It's emptied in about a year. I've seen no negative effects from opening the bottle every few weeks for a year. In the mean time all the other bottles stay in the freezer. If there was a power outage for a few days my understanding is there would be little or no harm to the nic as long as it stays well protected from light and oxygen, which most of us are doing with amber glass bottles.

My biggest concern long term is breaking a bottle. I put the oritinal label on the amber glass bottle then put that in a zip lock bag, wrap that with thin bubble wrap then put that in another ziplock bag and tape it down then put a label on that. My hope is the glass won't peirce the second bag and I'll be able to salvage most of the nic.

Last edited:

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
My biggest concern long term is breaking a bottle... My hope is the glass won't peirce the second bag and I'll be able to salvage most of the nic.
I just put my nic back in the freezer using these Sterilite Medium Clip Storage Boxes. Each box will hold 11 amber 120ml bottles. With a little bubble wrap over the bottle caps & electrical tape on the clips, I feel confident the last bottle will be intact in 30 years.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
[...] Though I have seen a "standard practice," commonly mentioned, recommending allowing the nic to come to room temp before using. No explanation; so I don't know if this is simply for convenience (warmer = thinner viscosity = easier to work with) or if there is some chemical benefit.
If opening the bottle before it's been coming to room-temp, then you draw in extra moisture and add water to the mix/thins it, continually each time. The same with e.g. keeping VG in fridge. Info obtained from Kurt btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread