Is it possible micro-coils are overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photon9

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Capital Region NY
Last night I wrapped a 1/16" coil but instead of compressing and annealing it so the coils are touching I let the coils stay separated.

And seriously this coil hits as good or better than any micro-coil I've built so far. I'm seriously leaning towards better. It has great vapor production, better flavor, and seems to be less fickle. Not to mention a simpler build.

I know some of you are already on the uncompressed coil wagon but seriously if you haven't tried it give it a shot on your next build.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
The definition for all coils currently are pretty loose but my understanding is that micro- coils in general are thought to be coils touching.

1/16 is micro... bigger is macro

I think it's good to have a change.. I went off micro's to open 5/64th's and back again and for some reason its kicking ... better then before lol

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i have a foot in both camps - HRH likes her micros - but with silica, and i hate making them for her!

I make rough old coils at about 0.6Ω for myself from silica and 26g kanthal or R41. I'd not say micros were overrated, because they are a very easy method to learn and get consistent results. Until you can make consistent coils time and again, then you are on a hiding to nothing, because your vape will be ever changing and hard to pin down.

T

planes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
MA
It probably depends. I had a great dual coil on an RDA with 32g wrapped I think 8 times which made about a 1.8 if I remember and the hits on my VAMO 5 with stacked 18350's was stellar. Right now, I'm vaping dual 28g at .70 ohms and I think I like the higher ohm as it's cooler and I think I get a better flavor. I was vaping some ahlusion juice tonight and the flavor seemed a little lost... almost like it's burning too hot. I'm still searching for my ultimate build. Only been at it about 2 months.

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
It probably depends. I had a great dual coil on an RDA with 32g wrapped I think 8 times which made about a 1.8 if I remember and the hits on my VAMO 5 with stacked 18350's was stellar. Right now, I'm vaping dual 28g at .70 ohms and I think I like the higher ohm as it's cooler and I think I get a better flavor. I was vaping some ahlusion juice tonight and the flavor seemed a little lost... almost like it's burning too hot. I'm still searching for my ultimate build. Only been at it about 2 months.

You need to drill your air holes if you're going to go that low.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Last night I wrapped a 1/16" coil but instead of compressing and annealing it so the coils are touching I let the coils stay separated.

And seriously this coil hits as good or better than any micro-coil I've built so far. I'm seriously leaning towards better. It has great vapor production, better flavor, and seems to be less fickle. Not to mention a simpler build.

I know some of you are already on the uncompressed coil wagon but seriously if you haven't tried it give it a shot on your next build.
My last several coils have been with out the wraps touching, 1.5mm ID with ceramic wicks, I also dropped to 29 gauge kanthal from 28. I think they do provide a little better flavor. In a week or two I'll try some 29 gauge compressed micros to see what I think.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
we all tend to focus on the ohms of our coils, which, of course is important. ohm's law is an easy study.

comparing, say, a loosely wrapped one ohm coil to a tightly wrapped one ohm, leads us into thermodynamics and other cool chit, most of which few of us have only a prayer of understanding, or articulating.

that's my long-winded way of saying it all comes down to personal preference, after you dial in your preferred ohms.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
These are the first published photos of the first micro coil.
G4oWJqb.jpg

vjJQgkP.jpg

As we got better at wrapping the wraps got closer and eventually the concept evolved to where we got most of em to touch each other.

My take on it is that the micro inner diameter with wraps touching each other or as close as possible has always provided the best vape and cleanest coil after a good period of use vs the old school large bore 4 spaced out builds like this:
B33UFpD.jpg

I also find them less finicky to build and consistently duplicate. Gone are the days of hot spots and uneven heating.

A micro also allows more adjustability / fine tuning the vape because the smaller mass can be positioned close to the air source (less TH) or close to the posts for more TH, higher than the air source (more TH) or low where the air flow is over the top of the coil mass for less TH. Or anywhere in between.

But...

Somehow it got completely misconstrued by the YouTube video celebs. They pushed touching wraps and never grasped (or evangelized) the part about inner diameter.

Most people who heard about it outside of the two original micro coil threads on here (especially on YouTube and Reddit) believe a micro coil is a coil with any size ID you care to wrap as long as the wraps are touching.

Pity the fools :)

Last edited:

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
I personally prefer the microcoils, for me I love the knowing what I am going to get at the end of the build and can reproduce results over and over, I could never do that with the big wraps. The micros fit so much better in the smaller decked RDA's like the Igo and the Era's. I also think the produce a superior vape over all.

I agree with SuperX on the concept being lost for alot, I personally have watched vids of folks building these big fat coils and trying to call them micro but the are using 2.5-3mm silica in them, but because the coils touch they are somehow a micro.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread