Is it possible micro-coils are overrated?

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by photon9, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. photon9

photon9 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Last night I wrapped a 1/16" coil but instead of compressing and annealing it so the coils are touching I let the coils stay separated.

And seriously this coil hits as good or better than any micro-coil I've built so far. I'm seriously leaning towards better. It has great vapor production, better flavor, and seems to be less fickle. Not to mention a simpler build.

I know some of you are already on the uncompressed coil wagon but seriously if you haven't tried it give it a shot on your next build.

2. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Still micro based on diameter, no? And I have taken to not compressing since I burn cotton too easily.

3. Brant Stephenson

Brant Stephenson Full Member

What are you using for wick?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

4. photon9

Silica. Cotton didn't work out for me.

5. photon9

The definition for all coils currently are pretty loose but my understanding is that micro- coils in general are thought to be coils touching.

6. SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL Ultra Member ECF Veteran

1/16 is micro... bigger is macro

I think it's good to have a change.. I went off micro's to open 5/64th's and back again and for some reason its kicking *** better then before lol

7. DoogieTony

DoogieTony Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

No, micro denotes the coils diameter, not if the coils touch. Supe has a chart with coil size to type of coil.

8. BlueSnake

BlueSnake Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've been making my coils the same and with silica wicks. I find that the silica seems to be holding more juice. So less squonking and no burnt wicks.

9. supertrunker

supertrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    i have a foot in both camps - HRH likes her micros - but with silica, and i hate making them for her!

I make rough old coils at about 0.6Ω for myself from silica and 26g kanthal or R41. I'd not say micros were overrated, because they are a very easy method to learn and get consistent results. Until you can make consistent coils time and again, then you are on a hiding to nothing, because your vape will be ever changing and hard to pin down.

T

10. zmauls

zmauls Madman Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    This thread has opened my eyes.

I've literally never used anything but compressed coils. Updates to come.

11. photon9

This is what I'm finding too

12. planes

planes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It probably depends. I had a great dual coil on an RDA with 32g wrapped I think 8 times which made about a 1.8 if I remember and the hits on my VAMO 5 with stacked 18350's was stellar. Right now, I'm vaping dual 28g at .70 ohms and I think I like the higher ohm as it's cooler and I think I get a better flavor. I was vaping some ahlusion juice tonight and the flavor seemed a little lost... almost like it's burning too hot. I'm still searching for my ultimate build. Only been at it about 2 months.

13. zmauls

zmauls Madman Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    You need to drill your air holes if you're going to go that low.

14. vsummer1

vsummer1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have tried different coils, different wicks, different atties...

the bottom line on all of it is each of us likes different set ups, and you just keep making them until you hit your sweet spot. There is no right or wrong, just what gives you the best vape for YOU :)

15. SavePaperVapor

SavePaperVapor Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I only do micro coils when in dual coil mode. Way easier to make duplicate coils that way. Otherwise, I can make a regular old fatty coil that will dance with any micro.

16. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    My last several coils have been with out the wraps touching, 1.5mm ID with ceramic wicks, I also dropped to 29 gauge kanthal from 28. I think they do provide a little better flavor. In a week or two I'll try some 29 gauge compressed micros to see what I think.

17. MamaTried

MamaTried Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

we all tend to focus on the ohms of our coils, which, of course is important. ohm's law is an easy study.

comparing, say, a loosely wrapped one ohm coil to a tightly wrapped one ohm, leads us into thermodynamics and other cool chit, most of which few of us have only a prayer of understanding, or articulating.

that's my long-winded way of saying it all comes down to personal preference, after you dial in your preferred ohms.

18. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    These are the first published photos of the first micro coil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we got better at wrapping the wraps got closer and eventually the concept evolved to where we got most of em to touch each other.

My take on it is that the micro inner diameter with wraps touching each other or as close as possible has always provided the best vape and cleanest coil after a good period of use vs the old school large bore 4 spaced out builds like this:
    [​IMG]

I also find them less finicky to build and consistently duplicate. Gone are the days of hot spots and uneven heating.

A micro also allows more adjustability / fine tuning the vape because the smaller mass can be positioned close to the air source (less TH) or close to the posts for more TH, higher than the air source (more TH) or low where the air flow is over the top of the coil mass for less TH. Or anywhere in between.

But...

Somehow it got completely misconstrued by the YouTube video celebs. They pushed touching wraps and never grasped (or evangelized) the part about inner diameter.

Most people who heard about it outside of the two original micro coil threads on here (especially on YouTube and Reddit) believe a micro coil is a coil with any size ID you care to wrap as long as the wraps are touching.

Pity the fools :)

19. karmakatie

karmakatie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I personally prefer the microcoils, for me I love the knowing what I am going to get at the end of the build and can reproduce results over and over, I could never do that with the big wraps. The micros fit so much better in the smaller decked RDA's like the Igo and the Era's. I also think the produce a superior vape over all.

I agree with SuperX on the concept being lost for alot, I personally have watched vids of folks building these big fat coils and trying to call them micro but the are using 2.5-3mm silica in them, but because the coils touch they are somehow a micro.....

20. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

What works for me is wider ribbon on silica. I find the flatter heating surface creates an explosion of vapor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.