Is it possible micro-coils are overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photon9

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Capital Region NY
This has been enlightening. Super-x I was totally looking forward to ur response and you did not disappoint.
Those first pics u posted are what my current coil (micro ID and uncompressed) and it really looks and works great.
Do we have terminology to differentiate between compressed and uncompressed coils? Or is that itself the terminology?

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
20131116_105709.jpg Here's a simple build on a Caliber. Ribbon is much easier to wrap as well photon9.

AlanWoltemath

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Conroe, Tx
What works for me is wider ribbon on silica. I find the flatter heating surface creates an explosion of vapor.

+100 on this. I use .8 kanthal ribbon wire dual coil with 3mm silica doubled. 3wraps of ribbon wire on each coil in the igo-w at .3 ohm and you are in vaping heaven. Flavor vapor and th are out of this world.

roadie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Southern CA
Last night I wrapped a 1/16" coil but instead of compressing and annealing it so the coils are touching I let the coils stay separated.

And seriously this coil hits as good or better than any micro-coil I've built so far. I'm seriously leaning towards better. It has great vapor production, better flavor, and seems to be less fickle. Not to mention a simpler build.

I know some of you are already on the uncompressed coil wagon but seriously if you haven't tried it give it a shot on your next build.

IMO, micro coils (with coils touching) give a more consistent result, and make it much easier to simply pull the old cotton wick out, dry burn, then install a new wick. It's very easy to duplicate a coil when the coils are touching rather than get perfect separation distance between each coil each time. There's nothing better than building a coil, installing it, and seeing that perfect glow from the inside out. :D

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I have several coil builds in action. From 0.025" to 3/32". Some days I battle my coils and they are at times difficult to distinguish w/ blindfold testing. Sometimes vape tongue interferes with the judgement and rematch is scheduled. A brand new build is very competitive but falls in line w/ the rest after a few moments use. The obvious losers have been scrapped.

My favorite is 1/16" twisted 30GA 1.2 ohms. One of the pros is legs tend to stay put when tightening screw terminal unlike my plain wire coil legs which walk for miles. One pro of compressed coils is space savings; important on a 14.5 mm topper; this is the reason I don't have any uncompressed coils in the competition. Maybe I'll experiment more w/ uncompressed on my 20 to 22 mm toppers.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Personally I like micro coils for longevity. But since I use 30 gauge wire, after a month or so they often will separate slightly. I don't bother squishing them back together as I agree they work just fine in a tight but non touching fashion too. But they usually start out as a micro coil.

I guess I will also say that I prefer micro coils for ease of build too. With a 4 wrap something I DO have to move wires around to get it just so &/or remove hot spots. With a micro coil I can wrap it the same way every time & the coil will light up just the way it should every time with 0 hot spots, etc. I like that. And since there are no hot spots they DO perform better as a result. Yes, I can make a regular coil & remove all hot spots. But after rethreading cotton into it several times it has to be adjusted or often hot spots will develop. Not so with a micro coil.

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
the best way ive found of getting a perfect open coil is to wrap it like you were going to do a closed coil then leave it on your jig(drill bit or screwdriver) then pull both legs away from each other... if you've opened the coils to much just push them back together and repeat pulling apart again.. once you have the spacing you need hold the jig with the coil on it with finger and thumb and straighten or manipulate the legs to how you desire.. simple and perfect

Last edited:

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
the best way ive found of getting a perfect open coil is to wrap it like you were going to do a closed coil then leave it on your jig(drill bit or screwdriver) then pull both legs away from each other... if you've opened the coils to much just push them back together and repeat pulling apart again.. once you have the spacing you need hold the jig with the coil on it with finger and thumb and straighten or manipulate the legs to how you desire.. simple and perfect

Yes, this is what I do. My brother claims I do not make "true" micro coils (even though I like a 1/16" or smaller ID), since I like the coils close as possible, but NOT touching :rolleyes:.

Meh, I don't care what it's called. Although my build looks suspiciously like the "VERY first Micro coil ever picture" Super_X posted . Works for me. A wee bit of space between the coils, but the ease of the micro coil technique. And rewicking is a breeze. I'm lazy and always strive for the "easiest" way to make a "good" tasting build. This works for me!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I have sausage fingers and middle-aged man eyesight.

For me, the pressed micro gives me build ease & consistency, as well as durability (both when I mount it and when I maintain it) - it takes several elements of finickiness out of the equation, and the few that are left (resistance, placement) are easy for me to control.

Been there with 4-3 (often subohm) wraps, nanocoils, duals, etc. - the single micro w/cotton in a RM2 anywhere between .7 and 1.2 is the sweet spot for me. Spacing it out, per above, would actually just add trouble for my ham fisted, squinting self.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I built a spacer coil yesterday. About 0.5 mm coil spaces. 1/16" twisted 30GA 1.0 ohm. Been vaping it all day. Best coil my AGA-T2 had to date. Had a scratchy TH at first but broke in nice. I adjusted coil position 6 times which helped but didn't completely fix the scratch. Time cured scratch. The scratchy TH same as TH when air hole not centered on coil. Not sure what causes the type of scratchy TH that makes you cough?

I'm going to build some more spacer coils for testing.

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
it took me a little while to get micro coils to work for me. and once I started getting a consistent result with them.
I soon realized that I like a basic wrap best.

3 or 4 wraps for .6 or .8 ohms with 28 gauge just suits me fine and works on any atty I want. build is quicker and easier. no muss or fuss.

great vape, flavor and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread