Is it safe to vape with these numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MethodIncognito

Mar 28, 2017
I'm not really saavy with mod tech so I'll do my best.

I'm using a Vaio 80tc mod. The temperature setting I have it at is 20 watts, at 3.07 volts. The amp averages at around 5.7. The coil reads .47ohms.

I've been hearing that at any number below .5ohms, it gets really risky to use as that poses a risk of a short or a runaway.

I understand that this mod is temperature control enabled, which may lower the chances of that happening (Correct me if I'm wrong), but just to be on the safe side, I need to ask because I would like to keep my fingers and face. With these numbers, is this something I should be worried about, or am I just overthinking it?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

I'm using a Vaio 80tc mod. The temperature setting I have it at is 20 watts, at 3.07 volts. The amp averages at around 5.7. The coil reads .47ohms.

I've been hearing that at any number below .5ohms, it gets really risky to use as that poses a risk of a short or a runaway.

I understand that this mod is temperature control enabled, which may lower the chances of that happening (Correct me if I'm wrong), but just to be on the safe side, I need to ask because I would like to keep my fingers and face. With these numbers, is this something I should be worried about, or am I just overthinking it?

I would say you are overthinking. 'Power vaping' (sub-ohm, however we describe it) carries more risk but that's why we use quality batteries and most of us, regulated mods with protections. Those setting are safe and comparatively low.

Those numbers are fine. 5.7amps is low for quality batteries, although 5.7 doesn't fit the rest of your maths, which are accurate.

Sadly, the Vaio 80w is a Vaporfi mod, so who's to say what's going on (with the numbers) other than you paid a ludicrous amount of money for something from the #1 greediest company in Vaping.

How did they get you? I'm sorry to hear about this.

Last edited:

MethodIncognito

Mar 28, 2017
I would say you are overthinking. 'Power vaping' (sub-ohm, however we describe it) carries more risk but that's why we use quality batteries and most of us, regulated mods with protections.

Those numbers are fine. 5.7amps is low for quality batteries, although 5.7 doesn't fit the rest of your maths, which are accurate.

Sadly, the Vaio 80w is a Vaporfi mod, so who's to say what's going on (with the numbers) other than you paid a ludicrous amount of money for something from the greediest company in Vaping.

How did they get you? I'm sorry to hear about this.
Aww man... My sister got me into them and since she has more experience in vaping than I do, I got her help into getting me this mod.

I really have to learn to do research before I impulsively buy from an unknowingly shady company.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
1st, yeah... VaporFi got ya...

2nd, the Vaio is a rebranded eGrip II... no worries, there...

3rd, .47 is fine on that mod and most regulated devices. The concern you are expressing is valid when using mechanical mods without the safeties the regulated mods carry.

Vape on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

The general rule of thumb. Is .25 ohms and above. If using a 20 amp battery

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US

Over thinking it a bit, below 0.5ohms on an unregulated/mechanical dumb mod is not even terribly dangerous, its when you creep below 0.25 to 0.30ohms the situation changes depending on the battery being used. You are using a regulated mod in variable wattage mode.

Mech Mod (Voltage/Resistance=Amps)
4.2v/0.5ohm=8.4Amps
4.2v/0.25ohms=16.8amps

Regulated mod we use a bit more complex formula
Watts Set/Lowest Battery Charge=Amps

20watts/3.2v=6.25amps, divide that by the mod chipset efficiency quotient, I use the average of about 90% or 0.9, gives a final battery draw of 6.9444444amps

You are well within safety specs.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Assuming you have good batteries in the mod, no problem at all. The real risk with low builds comes with mechanical mods. A regulated mod, such as you have, should not fire an unsafe build. Admittedly, this is rusting your face to electronics, but you do the same every time you talk on a cell phone. About the only way you can get in trouble with your rig is using flashlight batteries (low amperage). If you use a good 20 amp battery you should have no issues at all.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The general rule of thumb. Is .25 ohms and above. If using a 20 amp battery
On a regulated mod the watts matter, not the resistance. Max 60w per 20-amp battery, no matter the resistance, is a good general rule of thumb.

Even though you're repeatedly corrected you keep giving the information above. Please don't lead new vapers who ask basic questions the wrong way.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Like @KenD said, 60watts max on 20Amp batterys, forget about the ohms and you'll be fine.

EDIT: I would'nt worry too much about the volts either, just pay attention to the watts.

Here's a list of mooches recommended batterys.

Attachments

• downloadfile-14.jpeg
    downloadfile-14.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 17

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Sounds like you have some catching up to do.
Might like to read:
vapetown
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://www.smokingvapor.com/blog/2016/05/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread