Is it safe to vapourize Vanilla and Cinnamon flavours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come across a couple of post mentioning that Vanilla and Cinnamon are dangerous to vape, but with no real explanation. Is this true? I found this in a article about ingesting Cinnamon

"The most common type of cinnamon available in the United States is “cassia cinnamon”. Cassia cinnamon is known to have high levels of a flavoring agent known as coumarin. It’s this flavoring agent that accounts for the potential dangers of cinnamon."

Which makes me wonder about the type of cinnamon that is being used to make these cinnamon eliquids i have been dying to try?

Vanilla? What could possibly be bad about vanilla? Umm, except Vanilla Ice :facepalm:, that really nasty .........Isn't Vanilla supposed to be a great vape? I would like to hear some opinions because I sure want some of that cinnacide stuff.

Coumarin is also used in artificial Vanilla, , bad for the liver, in Chamomile tea and a lung specific carcinogen, banned from smoking products in 1997...... Got that from Wiki. I think I will wait to find out what kind of cinnamon they use in the Cinnacide before I try it :( I'm sure it can't be near as bad as smoking cigs but .....

Last edited:

OwnedByAGrey

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've seen this question asked before and, as a soapmaker, this interests me because there are issues with using vanillas and cinnamon in soaps.

Some people are very sensitive to cinnamon and will have a skin reaction to it. So, many soapmakers will not use cinnamon in their soaps to avoid any possible allergic reactions. Cinnamon is used as a natural colorant, btw. Some fragrances also contain cinnamon oils, and the suppliers will warn about the potential for skin allergies when using those.

Vanilla, when it goes through the saponification process (which is a very, very high temperature process created when lye reacts with the oils) will cause a soap to turn a very dark brown or black. So, if a vanilla-type fragrance is used, it's best to use it in a soap which the soapmaker wouldn't mind having been made dark. Suppliers will also warn about these fragrances. There are some vanillas, though, that are "white vanillas" and won't cause darkening to such a degree. I'm not sure what process they use, or what ingredient they're removing or neutralizing. I do know that, at the store, one can get a clear vanilla extract or a dark extract. What's the difference? The clear doesn't affect the finished color of the baked product.

Because I've seen here that vanillas in flavorings are tending to cause dark gunk in the atomizers, I am wondering if there isn't something contained in vanilla extracts and flavorings which reacts to the high temperatures of the atomizers, causing a similar blackening or tarring effect, not in the vapor, per se, but in the heating element itself.

Just a musing.

tehki

Feb 11, 2011
Colorado
Interesting about the cinnamon flavors, I hadn't heard that before. And darn, I really like cinnamon flavors too. Anyway as far as the dangers of vanilla, here's a snippet about it from FA/PA:

Any time you have a flavor that has a vanilla-custardy type note to it, it will have one or both of acetyl propionyl and acetoin. There is also the possibility that there will be Diacetyl as an added ingredient, (the flavor manufacturing company that we purchase our flavors from is restricted by their insurance from using Diacetyl as an ingredient, because of employee environmental health issues, but this is not true of all flavor manufacturing companies).

Our vanilla custard is a good example. Pretty much by definition, a vanilla custard flavor, no matter who makes it, will have both acetoin and acetyl propionyl (or diacetyl) in it. Just like it would be hard to bake a cinnamon cookie with no cinnamon, it would be really hard (pretty much impossible) to create a vanilla custard flavor with no acetoin or acetyl propionyl (or diacetyl).

So I suppose the components that most commonly make up the vanilla flavors are what is questionable here. You can read the rest for some more good information on it at:

The Flavorist Workshop

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
That's the custard stuff - not vanilla. Perfumer's Apprentice, on their site, specifically marks which flavors are for food/cosmetic use only. They state which flavors have custard notes and which notes. Their Vanilla Bourbon flavoring has no custard notes and is natural flavoring.

Capella states their flavors have no diacetyl and I bought their Vanilla Custard flavor through Happy Vaper in Canada.

I am vaping Backwoods Brew Vanilla Bean and he confirmed all of his liquids are diacetyl free.

And I am going to make vanillas with those two flavorings I listed above.

tehki

Feb 11, 2011
Colorado
Good points and info, Dormouse. I should have mentioned that about the PA flavors - I did know they did not all contain the questionable ingredients... I got a sample of the french vanilla and I think that one is ok too - but since it seems those ingredients are SO prominent in *some* of the vanilla mixes - I was guessing that maybe thats why the vanilla joose has a bad wrap? Anyway glad you posted that stuff cuz what I was trying to say was not clear at all :)

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
I haven't had any problem with either flavor although I did notice at first the cinnamon could make me feel slightly itchy but that could've been from the pg who knows?
It wasn't serious so I still vape Vanilla and Cinnamon mon'!
By the way, Vanilla with a touch of mint is delish!
Thanks Blue Mist!
C.B.
:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread