Status
Not open for further replies.

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I don't think its the nic at all for me (although I haven't tried vaping 0 nic yet.) For me, vaping encompasses many of my loves in life:

Shopping - vapemail, nuf said?
Reading - my summer vacation is dedicated to "research" (about vaping!)
Food - so many flavors, so little time
People - I have met a lot of friends here in the past month.
Helping others - I love going to the Newbie forum and sharing all that I've learned in the past month
Pretties - Glass drip tips, MODs, J-Wraps

Vaping is now a fixture in my life, a hobby, not necessarily an addiction (I quit that 36 days ago!) I CHOOSE to vape, because it's fun and fulfilling.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
To be frank all drugs that stimulate the dopamine reward system ARE an addiction.

The dopamine reward circuit is so damned powerful it got you to stop thinking cigarettes tasted like exhaust fumes when you first started smoking and now it is making you associate the reading, research, shopping, rituals of vaping etc - anything to do with vaping - with pleasure in order to keep you sending that nicotine into your brain.

Hate to be a reductionist but that really is how it works.

If non nic ends up working for you - great, but every vice / habit is all about the primary drug that activates the dopamine-reward circuitry.

Still healthier than smoking though so hey....

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
I tried ecigs about 3 years ago. I wanted to continue to vape, but the equipment failed and so did I.

So, I decided to try again and got out my old gear. I quickly realized, I needed to upgrade. My old gear didn't provide TH or clouds of vapor. Initially, that is what I wanted, to get me past wanting the cigs. I had a few each day for a week while still vaping with my old gear. When I got my egos and Ce4's/mini novas on April 10th, that was the last day I had an analog. I have quit smoking with pregnancies, chantix, cold turkey. Never tried the patches or gum. I wanted to be successful all those times, but something always pulled me back. This time really does feel different. Mainly because I don't feel like I am sacrificing a lot. I know I am getting the nicotine I crave, without all the crap that goes into cigs. I am satisfying the hand to mouth or preoccupation that I desire....I am not stressed about this quit this time.

For me, it is all encompassing. I started at 24mg, now vape 12mg and am comfortable with that. I like vape shopping, tinkering with new charms or getting new batteries/tanks to try. I enjoy not smelling like an ashtray or those occasional burn holes. I feel so much better, even though I have had a few sore gums and cancor sores :( I just feel like this is such a great alternative and have no desire to go back to smoking. I know it's partly the nicotine, but I just really enjoying the vape too :)

Last edited:

Maggiemw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Middle East
Vaping is still a very new experience for me, and like any new, fascinating, incredibly pleasant activity, I'm somewhat obsessed with it at the moment. This will probably calm down as the newness wears off, and that's fine by me.

To be realistic, I am definitely addicted to nicotine, and like the physical reactions I have. But vaping also satisfies a number of psychological desires: having your cake and eating it, too; having more money; the smell of warm apple vapor; the softness of a nice draw; being proud of an accomplishment; tasting and smelling all sorts of things that had been dulled or non-existent before; the feeling I'm doing something positive for myself; the feeling I've outsmarted authority again because I can get my kick without being punished... I could go on and on.

There are a couple of fears lurking around too, most acutely the fear that some big meany is going to take my new toy away from me...

Last edited:

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
Here's the thing though, I don't like to think of it as an addiction (ok, I said "like to think" so it may just be a mindset). When I was smoking, I hated it - every minute of it, but I was addicted to the act and couldn't figure a way out. I did it despite myself - which indicates an addiction. With vaping, I love it, I don't feel guilty, and I choose to do it because it's fun and not just a means to an end.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I know I don't want to vape zero nicotine eliquid (I have and it wasn't for me) but since there are other ways of "getting it," I am here to say that what I am addicted to is vaping nicotine liquid

I hear you clucking big chicken. I don't have a desire to get to 0 nic because that would mean the end of vaping for me, and I love vaping. Even though nicotine, a drug I'm quite fond of, is only a small part of what I love about vaping, it's an essential part.

I'm also addicted to caffeinated beverages. Sure, I like the taste of soda, but if it's no caffeine soda I wouldn't drink 6+ cans a day. If I stopped using caffeine I'd still have a soda once and a while, but not on a regular basis.

If I got down to 0 nic vaping I would probably slow down until I stopped all together, all the stuff I enjoy about vaping would seem less worth the ordeal without the drug.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

wabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2011
Northern California
It's not just the nicotine for me. I had tried the patch, gum, and lozenges, before my doctor prescribed a nicotine inhaler. I thought that that would do it. It looked sort of like a short cig, was something to roll between my fingers, produced nicotine vaper, and most closely mimicked the act of smoking out of everything that I had tried. It produced the nicotine, but was emotionally unsatisfying.

Vaping, I can dial up a big cloud of vapor on the vv box, or dial it back to enjoy the cool taste. I can see the vapor. I can feel it in my throat. It is far more emotionally satisfying.

disclaimer: for me, quitting the cigs is still a work in progress. I'm still working on ditching those last few per day, but I know that vaping gives me the best chance I have ever had and am confident that I will succeed.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Coffee drinkers, and I mean REAL 'can't go out of the house without at least 2 cups first' coffee drinkers - try de-caff and then try telling yourself you're not addicted to the caffeine but the taste, ritual etc.

I bought a jar of de-caff by accident and when you drink it it doesn;t feel like you had a coffee at all and you feel confused and cheated lol..

Hey I'm not hating or trying to mess with anyone's self image, I just read a lot about neurology, psychology and psychiatry so am a bit geeky with the facts.

Like I said we all know it's still healthier than smoking, so hey-ho, lah-dee-da as Annie Hall would say.

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
I don't know if it's the nic or the joy of my next killer flavor or toy but after almost 4 yrs of vaping the thrill(addiction) is still there for me.I do need all the basics TH,vapor,flavor all at the same time or get bored with a vape and move on.Heck I get bored with some juices that do offer all that just to find the next best thing out there.

I have been at 18mg practically the whole time and don't see that changing anytime soon if ever or quitting completely for that matter but u never say never.Most days love vaping but once in awhile I get overwhelmed on how much I put into this in my daily life.I mean just to many options of juices,device's,hardware ect..

All and all though after 34 yrs of smoking and now almost 4 vaping(without 1 cig :) ) can tell a BIG difference in how I feel health wise.After all that was and still is the reason I vape instead of smoke and to hopefully be around for my 7 yr old boy a little longer on this earth..sorry didn't mean to get off topic.

Oh yeah great thread Mr. M

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
When I use the word "addicted," obviously there is an implied lightheartedness to it (which is evident in me mentioning the forum and its "addictive properties"). Am I addicted? Sure. But, that doesn't mean I will come apart at the seams if I don't "get my nic fix!"

When I took a trip to Vegas this winter, I was gone for 5 days (or so) and I am the type of cat that does not play around in airports. I took NO supplies with me. This coming from a dude that vapes 24 - 32 mg juice at, not a lot, but, about 3-4.5 mL of juice a day (it all depends). When I got to Vegas, as I got off the plane I felt a serious need to vape, but since I didn't have anything, I got over it. There's not much more to the story. Sorry. I didn't do the fiend-walk to the nearest gas station or seek out the nearest vape store, I just forgot about it--of course I thought about it, but it was N-O-T like me trying to go two hours without a cig. Granted, soon as I got back home I vaped my bootay off though. LOL

I am addicted to vaping nicotine liquid, but I use the term "addicted" loosely since there are degrees to everything; since I have experienced other degrees, I know what is what and what ain't that!

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
When I use the word "addicted," obviously there is an implied lightheartedness to it (which is evident in me mentioning the forum and its "addictive properties"). Am I addicted? Sure. But, that doesn't mean I will come apart at the seams if I don't "get my nic fix!"

When I took a trip to Vegas this winter, I was gone for 5 days (or so) and I am the type of cat that does not play around in airports. I took NO supplies with me. This coming from a dude that vapes 24 - 32 mg juice at, not a lot, but, about 3-4.5 mL of juice a day (it all depends). When I got to Vegas, as I got off the plane I felt a serious need to vape, but since I didn't have anything, I got over it. There's not much more to the story. Sorry. I didn't do the fiend-walk to the nearest gas station or seek out the nearest vape store, I just forgot about it--of course I thought about it, but it was N-O-T like me trying to go two hours without a cig. Granted, soon as I got back home I vaped my bootay off though. LOL

I am addicted to vaping nicotine liquid, but I use the term "addicted" loosely since there are degrees to everything; since I have experienced other degrees, I know what is what and what ain't that!

I really saw the thread as more about which of the two - nic or vape - does it more for you. I needed the nic, but from the start it was the physical breathing vapor in and out that I was after. I was already getting nic from patches and was ready to start smoking again - I needed the physical mimicry. Everyone's different. Some plan their nic decreases for set time periods, others don't. I've never planned mine - just let it happen really. If it stayed the same I would have been fine with that too. For me its definitely the hand to mouth and actual vapor. Like you I can go without it if I have to - but if that's for too long I get fidgety.

Its interesting to discuss these things and compare notes. There will be different reasons and preferences.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I really saw the thread as more about which of the two - nic or vape - does it more for you. I needed the nic, but from the start it was the physical breathing vapor in and out that I was after. I was already getting nic from patches and was ready to start smoking again - I needed the physical mimicry. Everyone's different. Some plan their nic decreases for set time periods, others don't. I've never planned mine - just let it happen really. If it stayed the same I would have been fine with that too. For me its definitely the hand to mouth and actual vapor. Like you I can go without it if I have to - but if that's for too long I get fidgety.

Its interesting to discuss these things and compare notes. There will be different reasons and preferences.

Yes! I really was trying to get at what is the pull for people. I used the word "addicted" but it's really irrelevant as to what we call it. I agree that while we pretty much all had similar got-to-have-it experiences with cigs, vaping is sooooooooo different. Comparing notes is AWESOME!

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
To be frank all drugs that stimulate the dopamine reward system ARE an addiction.

The dopamine reward circuit is so damned powerful it got you to stop thinking cigarettes tasted like exhaust fumes when you first started smoking and now it is making you associate the reading, research, shopping, rituals of vaping etc - anything to do with vaping - with pleasure in order to keep you sending that nicotine into your brain.

Hate to be a reductionist but that really is how it works.

If non nic ends up working for you - great, but every vice / habit is all about the primary drug that activates the dopamine-reward circuitry.

Still healthier than smoking though so hey....

You are leaving out the one most important factor for those addicted to anything.
Where are the negative consequences that accompany doing illicit or licit drugs?
Yes nicotine is legal to possess and use but you seem to feel using any drug{caffeine,nicotine, aspirin perhaps?}that gives you a release of dopamine is bad somehow? I just don't buy that and have to refer you to Father Kearney's video posted above.
I fail to see that in anyone's use of nicotine..... most certainly in my use and I will not call myself a nic addict, you may I won't.
Will you rob a store to get your "nic fix" or go to jail?
Does it harm you or your loved ones?
If you answered no to any of these then you do not have an addiction.
You may like or love vaping! I do also but fail to see how it is an addiction simply because it uses nicotine.
There's No Such Thing as "Addiction" to Electronic Cigarettes! - YouTube
C.B.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
You are leaving out the one most important factor for those addicted to anything.
Where are the negative consequences that accompany doing illicit or licit drugs?
Yes nicotine is legal to possess and use but you seem to feel using any drug{caffeine,nicotine, aspirin perhaps?}that gives you a release of dopamine is bad somehow? I just don't buy that and have to refer you to Father Kearney's video posted above.
I fail to see that in anyone's use of nicotine..... most certainly in my use and I will not call myself a nic addict, you may I won't.
Will you rob a store to get your "nic fix" or go to jail?
Does it harm you or your loved ones?
If you answered no to any of these then you do not have an addiction.
You may like or love vaping! I do also but fail to see how it is an addiction simply because it uses nicotine.
There's No Such Thing as "Addiction" to Electronic Cigarettes! - YouTube
C.B.

I haven't even read this post yet but, good goobley goo, is that you? How ya' been? You just pop up when you do. Damn girl, you are always on the prowl.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky

Except that 'drugs' are not 'an addiction.' Even if you corrected that to 'addictive,' it still wouldn't be an absolute truth.

The concept that it's all chemical is big-pharma dogma because if it were true, they'd have the answer to it.

The plain truth is that dopamine enhancement can be a factor, but people vary. Their addictions, or lack of addictions, vary.

There was a time in my life when I drank. A lot. Every single day. For years. Then I moved, and I couldn't find any licensed taverns locally where I felt comfortable. So I stopped drinking. It wasn't some big "overcoming an addiction to the dopamine enhancement caused by alcohol" thing -- it was a simple matter of not liking the places where I could have a drink. There was no weaning period, no rehab after years of addiction, no nothing. I liked it when I could do it in comfort, I stopped when I couldn't.

As for vaping -- the big thing for me has always been the ritual causing tactile sensations. The only thing e-cigs lack is lighting, which is a major 'reset' moment I need to clear my thoughts and partition my thinking.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Wow cigarbabe- that defensiveness to an offence I never committed (I stated it IS an addiction - I NEVER made any moral judgement) says more about you than me.

I don't feel bad about being addicted to it at all. But it is an addiction. Just because I wont rob a store doesn't mean it isn't; it's just a lesser degree of addiction than say .... or crack or smack.

You're well off base there.

Habit is a by-product of an addiction.

But look I don't really want to argue. Think of it as you like.

Happy vaping!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread