Is it true that Kanger is phasing out the evod coils? (instead using the Protanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
So, can anyone with experience with the clone heads help me out here, are the clones that bad? Should I try and return them? Worth the hassle??? I hate going to the post office, sigh...

If they are that bad, is it the body or the wicks?

Not sure.. but the bodies of these things aren't exactly rocket science. There's not much to them. But it could be crappier grade insulators, lower quality wicks, coils made of of low-quality wire that ham-fistedly built. Not much you can do if the post insulators stink, but there is quality difference in the actual coil/wick, then rebuilding them would probably give you a good result.

texastish

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 15, 2013
Austin, TX
cravingvapor.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
just ordered (5) 5 packs , they have them listed as short coil or NEW long coil ones so hopefully I will get the old style short ones
I ordered 5 packs from them last week 3-2.2ohm and 2-2.5ohm and they were all short stem....I see they have raised there price a little from last week because I got them for $4.79 a 5 pack if order 3 or more.I quess u can't blame a man for trying to make a little more especially for a good product that will soon be gone for awhile.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Coil your own, people! Up until last week, I was a little intimidated by the whole process, but I got a little RDA,and some Kanthal and silica wick and gave it a try... turns out it's kind of fun, and you end up with a much higher quality coil.

Not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper. If you went the cotton route that some people use, you can end up building high quality coils for like 7 to 10 cents a pop.

What was a big concern for me two weeks ago is no longer on my radar.... I have like 15 older coils, so I'm set as long as I can get wire and wicking material.

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
Coil your own, people! Up until last week, I was a little intimidated by the whole process, but I got a little RDA,and some Kanthal and silica wick and gave it a try... turns out it's kind of fun, and you end up with a much higher quality coil.

Not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper. If you went the cotton route that some people use, you can end up building high quality coils for like 7 to 10 cents a pop.

What was a big concern for me two weeks ago is no longer on my radar.... I have like 15 older coils, so I'm set as long as I can get wire and wicking material.
I hear ya and hopefully most people know that u have that option.But for me and my situation unable to do that right now(coil your own).You better believe saving alot of the heads I use when and if I can start to build my own.

Here again for alot of people time factor,monster hands,to much fiddling come into play and can completely understand that...thats where I am right now.But never say never :)

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I know you weren't asking me, but I'll rudely .... in. :)

This video helped me the most with rebuilding the EVOD/Protank heads. Start watching at about the 16:00 mark. He used 1.5mm silica wick, but for me 3mm works perfectly and is a little easier to use.
thanks SilverZero. Turns out I already have that video bookmarked. Need advice on best place to buy kanthal. Silica, etc. I know this is getting OT So links to the appropriate threads would be great. Thanks!

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Well... I just looked at things and winged it. I've seen videos that coiled on a machine screw and threaded the wick after the fact. But I just grabbed a wick, snipped wire with some nail clippers and wrapped away. Didn't take long to get the hang of it. My last coil was 7 wraps of 32 gauge, around 2.2 ohms.

And I got hamhocks for hands.

Mike L.

Jun 2, 2013
Over the hill
I was surprised to get the "new" long air post coil assemblies in my latest order for Evod replacements. I grumbled for a while, and then decided I would try one in one of my daily-user Evods. I actually like the draw better, and I think the vapor production is better as well.
YMMV. I am still saving my used short post coils for rebuilding (someday).

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
I was surprised to get the "new" long air post coil assemblies in my latest order for Evod replacements. I grumbled for a while, and then decided I would try one in one of my daily-user Evods. I actually like the draw better, and I think the vapor production is better as well.
YMMV. I am still saving my used short post coils for rebuilding (someday).

I prefer the heads with the longer posts as well. It just seems like a smoother vape to me for some reason.

That and I like that the longer knurled post makes them a little easier to work with.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I just swapped out a shorter EVOD coil for one of the longer PT types. I don't mind the airy draw because there's lots of vapor, but I'm definitely getting less flavor. This was a back-to-back comparison, so I'm not imagining it. I'll give it a little time to break in- maybe it will improve- hope so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread