Is it worth making diy juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichy?itchy

Aug 25, 2016
Hello everyone! I'm relying on all of you cuz you know more than me !!! Is it cheaper to make your own juice? I stick with the same juice. ( icy menthol, extreme ice) I get 60ml nicotine 12mg for under twenty. And I'm finding I'm going thru 90ml a month so would it be worth it? And would I just get menthol flavor or is there a recipe for intense menthol flavor?

Reactions: bnrkwest

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to the forum Wichy, my DIY cost (buying in bulk) about 4c per ml, yeah it's definately worth it. Not to mention with deeming regulations it's up in the air as to how long we will be able to buy pre made juice on the open market.

Check out the DIY forum for more information, the stickies are invaluable.

I'm not a menthol guy but I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite recipes.

Wichy?itchy

Aug 25, 2016
DIY juice is cheaper than store bought. I think it's worth it, aside from the monetary savings, if you think you will be unable to purchase juice in the future or at a reasonable cost (due to FDA and state regulations, prohibitions, and taxes).
Welcome to the forum Wichy, my DIY cost (buying in bulk) about 4c per ml, yeah it's definately worth it. Not to mention with deeming regulations it's up in the air as to how long we will be able to buy pre made juice on the open market.

Check out the DIY forum for more information, the stickies are invaluable.

I'm not a menthol guy but I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite recipes.
I know they get their grubby hands into everything!!!! Thanks

Reactions: bnrkwest

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
There are lots of recipes, you'll just have to use process of elimination to find one that's right for you. You can use actual menthol (sold in crystal or liquid form) or any of the myriad mint- and menthol-type flavor concentrates. Is it cheaper? Eventually, yes. Maybe not at first. Initial start-up costs might be a hundred or two for supplies and equipment, and you'll likely pour many ml's of failed recipes down the drain, but once you settle in and find a recipe that you like...well, I just mixed up a 120ml bottle for myself that cost me less than $6 in materials, and would be even cheaper than that if/when I start buying in true "bulk" quantities instead of buying flavor concentrates 8ml's at a time.. When I mix up a 10ml tester batch, the bottle itself costs me more (or would, if I didn't reuse them) than the liquid I put in it.

Wichy?itchy

Aug 25, 2016
There are lots of recipes, you'll just have to use process of elimination to find one that's right for you. You can use actual menthol (sold in crystal or liquid form) or any of the myriad mint- and menthol-type flavor concentrates. Is it cheaper? Eventually, yes. Maybe not at first. Initial start-up costs might be a hundred or two for supplies and equipment, and you'll likely pour many ml's of failed recipes down the drain, but once you settle in and find a recipe that you like...well, I just mixed up a 120ml bottle for myself that cost me less than $6 in materials, and would be even cheaper than that if/when I start buying in true "bulk" quantities instead of buying flavor concentrates 8ml's at a time.. When I mix up a 10ml tester batch, the bottle itself costs me more (or would, if I didn't reuse them) than the liquid I put in it.
Is it safe to reuse all the plastic bottles (juice) I've saved?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Far as I know, sure it is. You'll want to rinse them out between flavors, or probably occasionally even if you're re-using them for the same flavor. I use the LDPE ones (soft, "frosted" or translucent plastic.) The ones that are a little harder and perfectly clear (like a water or soda bottle) may be made from PET and that's supposed to be single-use only, so I stay away from those ones (they may also be HDPE which is safe to re-use, but unless they have a recycling emblem embossed onto the bottle, there's no way to know what's what and so I just avoid those ones entirely.)

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland

I save all of my glass bottles from pre-made juice and when the box that I put them in overflows, I put them all through the diswasher ready to be used for DIY mixes. I don't save the plastic bottles, but that's just me.

Reactions: Iron Molly

Wichy?itchy

Aug 25, 2016
Far as I know, sure it is. You'll want to rinse them out between flavors, or probably occasionally even if you're re-using them for the same flavor. I use the LDPE ones (soft, "frosted" or translucent plastic.) The ones that are a little harder and perfectly clear (like a water or soda bottle) may be made from PET and that's supposed to be single-use only, so I stay away from those ones (they may also be HDPE which is safe to re-use, but unless they have a recycling emblem embossed onto the bottle, there's no way to know what's what and so I just avoid those ones entirely.)

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
PET is fine for re-use. The big scare about chemical leeching is a myth perpetuated by the water companies so you go back to buy more water. You only have to be concerned about applying heat to it, so don't wash PET with hot water. That will just cause the plastic to degrade faster and get more brittle, possibly releasing more platisizers in the process. So no heat and you're fine.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
PET is fine for re-use. The big scare about chemical leeching is a myth perpetuated by the water companies so you go back to buy more water. You only have to be concerned about applying heat to it, so don't wash PET with hot water. That will just cause the plastic to degrade faster and get more brittle, possibly releasing more platisizers in the process. So no heat and you're fine.
I'd still rather use the hot water though.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
I'd still rather use the hot water though.
Personally I avoid using hot water on plastics. And by hot water, I mean freshly boiled out of a kettle. I use that to rinse out my tanks and any other glass, metal or ceramic parts or tools.
Silicon seems to take the temperature without any deformity or change in colour.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Hot water, good for life if you don't drop. Whats not to like?..
It's fine for dripping at home, I guess, but the whole "glass dropper" part doesn't play nice with some tanks, and a plastic squeeze bottle is just so much more convenient for out-and-about, whether you're dripping an RDA or refilling a tank. First time I got liquid in a glass bottle I was like "ooh, fancy!" but I got over that real quick once I actually tried using them.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
First time I got liquid in a glass bottle I was like "ooh, fancy!" but I got over that real quick once I actually tried using them.
I agree. Glass is good but the method of getting the liquid out is hit and miss. The Halo ones are great for dripping but the Cosmic ones are bad for tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread