Is loss of taste normal when starting out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Yep, me too. Since quitting analogs about 10 days ago everything has been weird. I get overwhelmed by smells just walking round. Sometimes things (food, vaping juice) tastes intense and amazing - sometimes there's no taste at all.

I think this is normal: I'm no longer taking all kinds of chemicals that I used to get from analogs into my mouth. I'm sure it'll settle down.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yep, me too. Since quitting analogs about 10 days ago everything has been weird. I get overwhelmed by smells just walking round. Sometimes things (food, vaping juice) tastes intense and amazing - sometimes there's no taste at all.

I think this is normal: I'm no longer taking all kinds of chemicals that I used to get from analogs into my mouth. I'm sure it'll settle down.

It definitely will, and afterwards you'll be much more sensitive to tastes and smells -- especially cigarette smoke. You'll probably be able to smell a whiff of that from a hundred paces. I could, anyway, it was pretty weird. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me but at the early stages, I was like a dog who heard its name being called; the slightest whiff even from far away just set off a Pavlovian response in my brain. A quick vape and it went away though. :)

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
I find that vaping the same flavor for awhile will kind of "numb" my taste to that flavor; this is a shame bc I usually only have 1-2 flavors going at a time and my preference is to find what I like and stick with that. For example, the super strength cake batter I began 2 days ago now tastes like nothing. I had two bottles of a strong flavor called toasted tobacco (my previous daily): one was regular strength, one was not double but TRIPLE flavor... of course I was numbed to toasted after a few days, using the regular strength, and even after switching to the triple-flavor bottle I still had little taste.

I can taste any flavor strongly first thing in the morning & after a meal.

Here is what I have found that works for me:
-Make sure to keep hardware clean & charged, cartos full, juice stored correctly (not in sunlight or intense heat).
-Rotate flavors every few hours, or keep a variety of flavors in rotation.
-Food & drink can help reset the taste buds, or something like that.
-Smoking analogs (or anything else) will dampen taste for at least half an hour... avoid this or be prepared to deal.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Its because your getting used to the flavour. I remember once tasting some dreadful juice but within even a few hours i got used to it and quite liked it

I hope this happens to me. I've got a bottle of 555 flavour concentrate and I'm trying so damn hard to like it but I just can't.

It's really odd. Normally I love things that are nutty (including my women, yeah especially my women) but 555 is just gag material IMO

EternalProof

Feb 12, 2012
Florida
Tailpiping an atty helped me restore flavor. I'm thinking that it might be the greater surface area of my tongue getting the initial hit that makes this possible. Also, if you vape in the same spot of your mouth, that part of your tongue gets used to the flavor and you get bored of it. Things like changing the position of the ecig in your mouth or putting your tongue in a different position when you vape also seems to help.

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
anyone having issues vaping in the morning? i get some weird metal tasting flavor every morning for the past week. it seems to get better 2-3 hrs later.

Never heard of this. Have you switched out atty/carto and see if the same thing happens. It may be a funtion of the atty/carto and not your taste buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread