Is my DIY plan feasible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
I just have to give that one a try! :drool: Thanks for posting!
I didn't try it yet. :D

I was searching for something that I can mix with Peanut Butter (TPA) and I stumbled on this. Percentages seemed little to high as I found similar recipes with much less Banana (2,75%) and Peanut butter (4%), but a man has to start somewhere so I chose bigger numbers.

I also made some Peach Vanilla Swirl and this time I chose lower numbers.

DX Peach (Juicy) (TPA) 5.00%
Caramel v2 (Cappela) 2.00% 0.6 0.623 g 0.600 ml
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 2.00%
Sweet Cream (Cappela) 1.80%

I know flavors have different strength, but as I said, it's a start.

For now I vaped on 2 DIY juices and I'm not so excited as I was when I was measuring grams. :D

Blueberry Sweet Cream
Blueberry Candy (TPA) 5.00%
DX Marshmallow (TPA) 1.50%
Sweet Cream (Cappela) 1.70%

Strawberry Cheesecake
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) 6.00%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 10.00%

With both juices berry taste is very weak. With strawberry it may be user error, but with blueberry I expected more. Maybe I should use single flavor recommendation of 9%. Also other tastes are way below intensity I'm used with bought liquid. But before I continue to experiment, I have to fix wicking on my UD Zephyrus V2. It's PITA to wick it properly. For 70/30 I was nailing it to perfection, now I have to adjust to max VG. In the meantime other juices will steep for couple of days. Warm bath is not enough. :)

P.S. Difference between DX and classic flavors from TPA. Is difference only in diacetyl, is strength same?

Reactions: OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I didn't try it yet. :D

I was searching for something that I can mix with Peanut Butter (TPA) and I stumbled on this. Percentages seemed little to high as I found similar recipes with much less Banana (2,75%) and Peanut butter (4%), but a man has to start somewhere so I chose bigger numbers.

I already have the DX peanut butter and DX caramel, just need some banana. Total flavoring is higher then anything I have mixed, so may cut them down a bit. Or, better yet on my test batch, mix at a bit higher nic level and can then play with diluting with VG if too strong. And I may be wrong (imagine that! :eek:), but at a 20% total flavoring mix, the "max VG" would at best be a 20/80 PG/VG ratio. But I mix to a 30/70 anyway, so should not be a problem with wicking in my gear.

P.S. Difference between DX and classic flavors from TPA. Is difference only in diacetyl, is strength same?

I'm too new to DIY to say, but hopefully others might chime in. Then again, as is usually the case, it may just come down to trial and error. At $1 or less for a 30ml batch, I don't worry about playing around with a mix.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Difference between DX and classic flavors from TPA. Is difference only in diacetyl, is strength same?

From my experience so far, with about 10-12 different TFA flavorings and their DX versions...I use the same % of either one in the same recipes, and still get the same amount of taste from them. So, based on that...IMO, they are the same strength, or there's too small a difference for me to be able to detect it anyway. I usually have a pretty good pallet though.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Oleeee, I have a winner :thumbs:

It took me 2 hours to rebuild Zephyrus V2. I used 2 spaced 26g SS316L coils wrapped around 2.5mm reading 0.24ohm. Poured my Peach Vanilla Swirl and it's a dream. Tank finally wicks juice as it should, meaning bubble after every pull, and taste is fantastic. Not just moist and dense, taste of juice is great and on par with best juices I tried. Nice delicious soft peach and in the background I can taste creamy vanilla swirl with a hint of caramel. Probably in 1 week it will all be even more creamy and soft.

During morning coffee and Zephyrus rebuilding I was vaping on Strawberry Cheesecake in my Avocado 22 and it's also nice. I still wish strawberry was stronger and little on the sour side, but overall, it's a very pleasant vape. With touch of something more it will be a keeper.

Lost Vape Therion DNA166 (6 of 6).JPG

BTW, big thanks to JCinFLA and all that gave advice.

Last edited:

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Hello,

It's been a month with my own e-juices and I must say it has been a really nice experience.

I made couple of juices but these I like best:

Peach Vanilla Swirl
DX Peach (Juicy) (TPA) 5.00%
Caramel v2 (Cappela) 3.00%
Sweet Cream (Cappela) 2.00%

Strawberry Coconut Cream
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) 4.00%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 4.00%
Coconut Extra (TPA) 1.40%
Sweet Cream (CAP) 0.50%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 1.00%
Blueberry Candy (TPA) 2.00%

Cosmic Fog Milk&Honey
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1.50%
DX Marshmallow (TPA) 3.00%
DX Peanut Butter (TPA) 1.50%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.00%

Coconut Coc…
Cheesecake Graham Crus (TPA) 6.00%
Coconut extra (TPA) 1.20%
Sweet Cream (CAP) 1.00%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 1.00%

After minimum of 1 week of steeping they are all ADV and just delicious.

Today I expect postman will bring couple of new flavors and base.

All TPA:
Cinnamon Sugar Cookie
Frosted Donut
Acetyl Pyrazine
Strawberry
Ry4 Double
VG/PG 90/10 (6%mg)

I realized max VG makes my nose leak and the damn thing is just too thick. Hope 10% of PG will make a small difference.

Normal Strawberry (TPA) and Cinnamon Sugar Cookie (TPA) will add more richness to already grate juices while Frosted Donut just sounded nice. At the moment I have no idea what to do with it. :)

This leaves me with Acetyl Pyrazine and Ry4 Double. Every tobacco e-juice has these flavors. Long time ago I vaped on some Tribeca and I really loved it.

People say this is very nice (all TPA):
Double RY4 12.5%
Graham Cracker 2.5%
Acetyl Pyrazine 2%
Ethyl Maltol 3%

I intend to replace TPA Graham Cracker with Cappela's Cracker (1%) and Ethyl Maltol with Super Sweet (1%) and because I love caramel I will also add 1% of Caramel v2 (CAP). Sounds OK? Any suggestions? :)

P.S. Back in the days when we had borders and DutyFreeShops were popular, whenever traveling abroad I was always buying Amsterdamer Tobacco. Do you have any recipe for this?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
P.S. Back in the days when we had borders and DutyFreeShops were popular, whenever traveling abroad I was always buying Amsterdamer Tobacco. Do you have any recipe for this?
I did a little google-fu for you. Amsterdamer was mentioned in an old post here:

Tobacco Flavors in the U.S.

...and when I say old, I mean 6.5 years old. It was by a user @Fernand, who hasn't posted on ECF in about a year and a half, though he apparently logged in last week.

He was comparing Seedman Captain Black flavor to the Amsterdamer tobacco of his youth. I looked up the flavoring on e-liquid-recipes, and spotted a recipe by a current ECF member @Rin13. She might not have an idea about Amsterdamer, but she likes the Captain Black flavor as an additive with a TA blend. Here's her recipe:

Tobacco Ab Eliquid
1% Captain Black Tobacco (Seedman)
10% Tobacco Absolute Blend (PG) (OSDIY)
Flavor total: 11%
...and her notes:
"Used One Stop DIY shop's tobacco absolute (the paste) and diluted as they instruct with 1 spoonful (that it came with) and EM the rest PG. (used 10 ml bottle instead of 15ml though)

Good right away... may improve even more with steeping"

Places to buy it:
Captain Black Tobacco Flavor Concentrate by SM (0.27oz) <--presently out-of-stock
Captain Black Tobacco Flavoring <--I've never bought from them before.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Unfortunately there is no way I can order this flavors. In the country I'm currently dwelling import of vape stuff depends on when customs guy goes for lunch, but generally it's prohibited. I have to rely on very dark gray market that of course doesn't sell low demand stuff. But TFA, CAP, FA, Hangsen,... is something I can get hold of quite easily.

It has been a long time since I smoked Amsterdamer tobacco, but I believe Fernand described it correctly. Womanly, too sweet and perfumed so much it's hard to smoke it all the time. But on some occasions like waking up early on Sunday morning and drinking coffee at nearest bakery shop, it's just lovely. :)

I have to research little more but with RY4, little graham cookie, vanilla, maybe some nuts... I think I will get close. Probably today Amsterdamer would not taste same, so it doesn't matter if I don't nail the taste. I just have to find something in the same ball park and leave original in nice memory. :)

Either way, this is my first try with tobacco tastes and juices and first I have to find out what I like. After that there will be some fine tuning.

Thanks for help. :)

Reactions: man00ver

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
But TFA, CAP, FA, Hangsen,... is something I can get hold of quite easily.
I am NOT a tobacco expert by ANY stretch of the imagination but... I have been (off and on) searching for an e-liquid that was reminiscent of my memories of my Grandfather's pipe tobacco pouch throughout my own DIY journey.

Of the vendors you mentioned you have easy access to; I would suggest TFA's Black Honey (tobacco) as a possible base with which to build on. It is a good "cheap pipe tobacco" type concentrate that is mildly aromatic and moderately sweet. RY4 can be too caramel forward, excessively sweet, and overpower the tobacco notes for me and I have found the Black Honey to be a good alternative when I want more tobacco. It does also play well with RY4 when I want both notes in a mix.

Also, though I did not see the manufacturer on your list, I also recently stumbled across Inawera's Am4A (Inawera is a Polish manufacturer; if that makes any difference). This one is really meeting my memories and is quite good as a stand-alone at 2.5-3.0%. It is very aromatic (again, reminiscent of fresh pipe tobacco), just a touch sweet, and has a nice light fruitiness (maybe raisin or plum?). It has a great richness and mouthfeel to it. I find it much more tobacco (fresh; not "burning") forward than RY4. And moderately more tobacco forward than TFA's Black Honey. It can get a bit overwhelming and a bit cloying when vaped for long periods; but it is quickly finding a permanent place in my daily rotation.

I should also probably mention that this seems to be a bit of a "like it or hate it" type of concentrate; so start with a small bottle until you know if it is going to work for you. I personally wonder if this is at least in part due to its potency? Less is definitely more with this one. If you are going to add additional notes like vanilla to it, I would probably start at 1-1.5%, and go up as needed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread