Is Nicotine Addictive For You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Why would you need eggplant patches or gum??

Eggplant contains nicotinic acid, which has a similar molecular structure to nicotine, but is not the same thing as nicotine, and does not have nicotine's addictive or stimulating properties. The nicotinic acid in eggplant makes it an excellent source of niacin, an essential vitamin for blood and brain function.

No, not so.
Nicotinic acid, or vitamin B3, could be found in a lot of foods, including beer (i like vitamins).
Nicotine is a different animal. Eggplant does have a lot of nicotine, but much, much less than tobacco have.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've said all along that if they are going to vilify nic, they should do the same with caffeine too. How many people whine that they can't do anything without their morning cup of coffee yet yet treat someone who needs their morning cig in a derogatory manner?
I totally agree. Which is to say that NEITHER product should be demonized.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As everyone is different and addictions come in many different forms, you may be one of those that have a stronger addiction to nicotine.
Beck is one of those that baffles the heck out of me. He vapes such a high nic liquid :blink: Has for a very long time. While others are able to cut back and actually leave the nic behind. That is what is truly marvelous about vaping! We can tailor what we need for each of us, as individuals.

From what I understand, with the studies that are being done with regards to nicotine and Alzheimer's and other disorders, those given the nic and then removed from the nic, have no withdrawal symptoms. But, those are people that have never been addicted to smoking either.

It is possible, that combined with whatever the cocktail in cigs are, has made us more susceptible to being addicted in various degrees to nicotine. And another possibility, we were predisposed to the addiction, hence why we took up the habit.

Which brings up another possibility, are we addicted to the habit more than the nic itself?
It is unfortunate for our cause that a good percentage of the vapers here don't internalize what you just said.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Where can I buy eggplant patches or eggplant gum to curb or supplant my addiction to eggplant.

I just have used nicotine pretty much everyday for 40 years but addiction to it is myth...the logic is preposterous.
Are you capable of seeing outside your own sphere of reality?
Most people are not able to do so, so if you can't that is not a condemnation.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
and to note.... try vaping in the dark as to where you cant see the exhaled vapor.... you get this distinct feeling something is missing even tho you are still getting the same vape.... there is a pretty good chance that vaping is also a visual thing too....
Pretty good chance?

Come on now, have some more conviction!
You're being too modest.
:)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That's actually Freudian, which while interesting, most of Freudian theory is hot garbage lol. I'm a psychology major by the way. The link between the "oral fixation" and smoking/vaping according to Freud was that the infant failed to resolve developmental issues during the Oral Stage of psychosexual development, and in order to discover and overcome those issues, one would have to undergo extensive psychotherapy which most likely would end up with the subject being told something about having an Oedipus Complex lol.

The real deal is It is most likely behavioral in nature. Because of the massive amount of nerve endings in the face, there is pleasure derived from the stimulating effect of vaping and smoking, which reinforces the behavior psychologically, and the nicotine acts as a chemical reinforcer. If there is no worthy incentive to quit smoking (my wife got pregnant, that's why we quit), attempts to quit will fail.

I like the fact that I'm not the only one who looks at vaping from a psychological perspective lol.
Please post more.
We need you.
:)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If I vape 6 mg after awhile when I think about a cigarette, it doesn't seem like a disgusting idea. If I use an 18 mg juice, I have no thought of cigarettes. So I guess I'm still somewhat addicted.
Give it time.

It may not work for you completely.
Some people never get over their nicotine addiction for whatever reason.

But many do.
And quite easily.

Even while still using nicotine when they feel like it.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
Give it time.

It may not work for you completely.
Some people never get over their nicotine addiction for whatever reason.

But many do.
And quite easily.

Even while still using nicotine when they feel like it.

Yes, I'm surprised I can vape 6 mg so easily. Hopefully eventually I'll work it down. I've been bouncing all over the place with my nic levels.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Where can I buy eggplant patches or eggplant gum to curb or supplant my addiction to eggplant.

I just have used nicotine pretty much everyday for 40 years but addiction to it is myth...the logic is preposterous.

I did it for 50 years, and I'm pretty sure I was addicted. It sure felt like I was.

We may not need to wonder whether addiction happened, but what we were addicted to. Were we addicted to the smoke from burning paper? I know that's a silly example, but there are a lot of other compounds in the mix, some of them chemically similar to nicotine. Not to mention all the non-tobacco related chemicals added by BT to "enhance" the smoking experience. Was it one of them, or some combination of several.

We know that some people can start vaping and quit smoking right then and never look back. Some people can't, but they are able to quit with no trouble once they pick up some WTA, which contains several of the other compounds from tobacco.

There's substantial evidence that non-smokers who took nicotine for quite long periods for Alzheimer's research came out of it with no detectable addictive effects.

I'm sure I could list another dozen similar observations. A complete and correct understanding of nicotine would have to explain all of them. Problem is that folks often pick one fact out of the barrel, and use it to argue that "obviously" nicotine is, or isn't, addictive.

KGB7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rockville, MD
is it?? tests were done on people using "just nic" to determine the effects on the brain functions for cognative thought processes over a few months and the people who were tested ( which were non smokers/non nic users) had no withdrawl symptoms ( which suprized the researchers)... conclusion... nic is not addictive but falls under the dependence heading.....

Few month??

Talk to me when they run same test for 10-20 years straight. There are plenty of people who smoke an occasional analog once a week with no long term addiction.

coustain

Verified Member
Nov 10, 2014
Fort Jackson, SC
There are also studies that show nicotine actually may have a preventative effect against dementia and Alzheimer's disease due to its stimulant properties.

Basically addiction is a complicated area of psychology that is like a fingerprint, while everyone has one, they are all slightly different. No one person is addicted to the same thing for the same exact reasons as the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
A complete and correct understanding of nicotine would have to explain all of them. Problem is that folks often pick one fact out of the barrel, and use it to argue that "obviously" nicotine is, or isn't, addictive.
Wish I had said that.

That would have been a lot easier than all the seemingly unrelated replies I've made.
:laugh:

coustain

Verified Member
Nov 10, 2014
Fort Jackson, SC
I'm sure I could list another dozen similar observations. A complete and correct understanding of nicotine would have to explain all of them. Problem is that folks often pick one fact out of the barrel, and use it to argue that "obviously" nicotine is, or isn't, addictive.

Saying nicotine is not addictive given intensive enough use is like saying {Other Stuff} isn't addictive. It is a neurotransmitter used in brain and muscle function. It occurs naturally in our diets, and is categorically a stimulant.

I will concede that some people have no problems with chemical dependency, and it is more likely that they are addicted to the social and behavioral aspects of smoking or vaping, but to say nicotine itself is not addictive is patently and scientifically unsound lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread