Is nicotine all bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomWat

May 14, 2015
Great piece. I thought this part at the end concerning the conclusions of one of the studies cited was really interesting.... "So nicotine has been shown necessary for taking up the behavior, but it persisted in its absence, as if nicotine had engraved in the memory the associated stimulus."

Am I wrong in thinking this could potentially validate the idea that you can start vaping with nicotine but, if desired, rather easily go to a zero nicotine juice because it has been "engraved in the memory of the associated stimulus"?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
When I first stopped smoking, I found the hardest times were the ones when I was doing an associated activity like having a cup of coffee, after eating etc. I realized that (for me) the addiction was more psychological. As I've dropped my nicotine levels to next to nothing, it has had almost no effect on my vaping satisfaction. I know there is some complicated chemistry at play, and that cigarettes are a highly engineered platform for delivering nicotine and enhancing addiction. But I have found that the factors that really count are the visual and physical ones, like throat hit and a big ol' plume of vapor that give the sense of satisfaction.

Rolygate posted some very interesting information about tobacco addiction in this thread:
The future of E figs ? | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

IrLUyOS.jpg

Reactions: TomWat

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    its a stimulant much like caffeine. It can constrict the blood vessels and in large doses it can be dangerous even deadly. I've almost completely gotten off nicotine. Sometimes I'll drip 3mg if I'm having a hard day but for the most part I vape zero.

It's completely impossible to get completely off nicotine. It's in your diet.
    Fact is that the CDC has never tested a single person that had a zero nicotine level. NOT ONE!

Nicotine stimulates the brains neural transmitter development, and is absolutely necessary for proper cognitive development.

Fact is, the human race (as we know it) wouldn't even exist without nicotine.

Reactions: skoony

TomWat

May 14, 2015
    When I first stopped smoking, I found the hardest times were the ones when I was doing an associated activity like having a cup of coffee, after eating etc. I realized that (for me) the addiction was more psychological. As I've dropped my nicotine levels to next to nothing, it has had almost no effect on my vaping satisfaction. I know there is some complicated chemistry at play, and that cigarettes are a highly engineered platform for delivering nicotine and enhancing addiction. But I have found that the factors that really count are the visual and physical ones, like throat hit and a big ol' plume of vapor that give the sense of satisfaction.

Rolygate posted some very interesting information about tobacco addiction in this thread:
    The future of E figs ? | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

IrLUyOS.jpg

Wowza. So....everything we learned is wrong... OK, won't be the first time I've realized that.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
    Oct 13, 2014
    North Little Rock, AR, USA
    Nicotine can be absorbed through the skin quite easily. You can also get nicotine poisoning if you aren't careful. When you are vaping it's best to make sure you wash your hands after handling e-liquid, especially if it gets on your hands and such.

I wouldn't worry about standard juice (18 mg/ml or lower) getting on your hands. You may wash up because it's oily or something, but you likely won't absorb enough to even give you a "nic buzz" let alone be poisoned. I would take precautions such as latex gloves if dealing with higher concentrations like 100 mg/ml for DIY stuff.

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...
    I see no reason to go down in nic. I'm at 2.4-3.6% I also work out, do cardio everyday, don't eat fast food or drink sodas or sugary drinks. My heart rate is far lower than when I smoked and didn't ear healthy and exercise. Whatever increased risks associated with nicotine have been counteracted, as far as I am concerned. One who is inactive and eats and drinks poorly may want to consider reducing or eliminating nic., but they already live an unhealthy lifestyle, so probably don't care anyway...

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    ECF has an awesome library in our forum: The ECF Library | E-Cigarette Forum

One of the many interesting threads in there: Risk of excess nicotine from vaping | E-Cigarette Forum
    - Sometimes you will read researchers making statements such as, "Nicotine promotes cancer because it increases blood flow and growth of new blood vessels, causing them to proliferate, thus enabling growth of tumours and promoting cancer". Equally, you will hear, "Nicotine must not be used before or after surgery because it restricts blood flow and growth of new blood vessels, thus hindering healing, and may result in failure of the treatment. Therefore we will not operate on smokers or vapers" - from hospital staff. Since these are directly opposing statements, you might legitimately ask which of the two groups is lying - because one of them is. Or both.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread