Is pg corrosive to lung tissue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
The reason I'm asking this is because I know pg is used as an alternative to other solvents in many applications.

As an example:

Most benzodiazipene's are not soluble in conventional solutions such as water, so people use pg because it breaks down that specific chemical structure quite effectively.

Now I'm not a scientist, and I don't happen to have human lung tissue at my disposal to see if it dissolves in pg (Lol), but it just has me thinking. I would hate to find out 10 years from now that pg has been slowly corroding all of our lungs.

I've actually been experiencing problems such as shortness of breath, not being able to take a "full" deep breath, and this weird tight chest feeling after a year and a half of vaping so I may just be paranoid.

Any input?

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
They use PG as a carrier in Albuterol inhalers... So, no, I would say it isn't corrosive to lung tissue.

Albuterol for asthma and PG!? | E-Cigarette Forum

"Albuterol Sulfate Syrup for oral administration contains 2 mg of albuterol as 2.4 mg of albuterol sulfate in each teaspoonful (5 mL). Albuterol Sulfate Syrup also contains the inactive ingredients citric acid, FD&C Yellow #6, flavor enhancer, hypromellose, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, strawberry flavor. Sodium hydroxide may be added to adjust pH."

Source: ALBUTEROL SULFATE SYRUPFORM NO. 0825

Last edited:

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
They use PG as a carrier in Albuterol inhalers... So, no, I would say it isn't corrosive to lung tissue.

"Albuterol Sulfate Syrup for oral administration contains 2 mg of albuterol as 2.4 mg of albuterol sulfate in each teaspoonful (5 mL). Albuterol Sulfate Syrup also contains the inactive ingredients citric acid, FD&C Yellow #6, flavor enhancer, hypromellose, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, strawberry flavor. Sodium hydroxide may be added to adjust pH."

Valid point.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I have and they did x rays and told me it was anxiety. That was three months ago and I still feel like I can't breath worth crap. Lol. Maybe it really is all in my head.

If it is anxiety you can get help and treatment for that, it would be well worth discussing this with your doctor and see what treatment options are available to you so you don't have to continue feeling like this.

Reactions: Katmar

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
Possibly your nic is too high.

I have a few bottles left of 24 & 18 mg from when I started and I've been trying to get rid of them. I have noticed when I use those for longer periods of time instead of my current 12 & 6 mg, I get a tightness in my throat and upper chest. It goes away within 20 mins or so, but comes back when I use that juice again.

Try a bottle of lower nic in the same juice and see if it keeps happening.

If you can't self determine a cause, see a different doctor.

Good luck!

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I was on xanax and klonopin for about a year. I tapered off and went through a terrible 6 month withdrawal where I ended up losing my job, apartment, and the girl I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with.

I tend to stay away from doctors for anxiety now. I find it hard to believe anxiety is what's causing the symptoms, and I feel like my doctor brushed it all off due to the fact I'm a 20 year old guy. The trouble breathing didn't come along until after my benzo withdrawal, and it just so happened to be around the time I switched to mech mods and drippers. Ive since switched back to an ego kit in hope that I'd go back to normal. But the symptoms seem to stay the same.

I'm not blaming vaping, I honestly can't because for all I know it could be the 6 years of being a pack a day smoker, or one of the many quasi legal research chemicals I smoked when I was a teenager Lol

I've been trying to eat healthy and get a good bit of cardio into my schedule. I'mma give it a few months of that before trying to give another doctor a shot. I don't have money to throw at people who tell me it's all in my head and send me out the door with a script for SSRI's and more benzos.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
What's your PG/VG ratio? The reason I ask, I am VERY conscious of what happens in my body, almost to the point of being OCD about it, but I have good reasons - very bad health and allergic to nearly everything! I was SURE I was going to be allergic to something in vaping, but was pleasantly surprised to find out I'm not!!

I have noticed how my body reacts to PG and VG though - YMMV - PG dries me out, and I have a tendency toward dehydration anyway, so I didn't like that. VG gives me a slight "heaviness" in my lungs - not too bad, but noticeable when I'm already suffering from allergies. I toyed with PG/VG ratios until I found what I'm comfortable with.

I wonder if you're experiencing something similar? Try changing PG/VG ratio to see if it improves.

I agree with poster above - if you don't find the culprit, find another doctor.

Reactions: David Wolf

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
What's your PG/VG ratio? The reason I ask, I am VERY conscious of what happens in my body, almost to the point of being OCD about it, but I have good reasons - very bad health and allergic to nearly everything! I was SURE I was going to be allergic to something in vaping, but was pleasantly surprised to find out I'm not!!

I have noticed how my body reacts to PG and VG though - YMMV - PG dries me out, and I have a tendency toward dehydration anyway, so I didn't like that. VG gives me a slight "heaviness" in my lungs - not too bad, but noticeable when I'm already suffering from allergies. I toyed with PG/VG ratios until I found what I'm comfortable with.

I wonder if you're experiencing something similar? Try changing PG/VG ratio to see if it improves.

I agree with poster above - if you don't find the culprit, find another doctor.
Mainly I use 50/50. If I could tolerate pure pg I'd drop vg all together due to that heavy lung feeling. But pure pg is just so harsh on the lungs.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I see you answered the PG/VG ratio while I was typing.

Interesting that you noticed this after dropping the benzos -- hmmm... I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea what that might mean?

I hope someone else comes along with some better advice.

Is it possible to stop vaping for a few days to see if anything changes?

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
I see you answered the PG/VG ratio while I was typing.

Interesting that you noticed this after dropping the benzos -- hmmm... I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea what that might mean?

I hope someone else comes along with some better advice.

Is it possible to stop vaping for a few days to see if anything changes?

I quit for a week a while back and noticed no change. I was using nicotine gum during the break though so maybe that had something to do with it. Probably not though Lol

I honestly just hope it goes away by itself one day. Id quit vaping but I know myself, and I'd hop right back on the death sticks as soon as someone put one in my face.

The reason I don't think it's anxiety is because I have my mind pretty in check now days. Its a constant feeling and inability to take deep breaths, even when I'm not anxious at all and happy. I also notice I yawn a lot even if I'm not tired. As if my lungs are trying to force some air into them Lol

goofy2302

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Have you gone to a gastrointestinal doctor yet...the reason i ask is sometimes inability to take deep breaths is to to bloating of your stomach or intestines. ...all that pushes up on your diaphragm not allowing you to breathe in very deeply...maybe vaping is irritating your stomach tissue

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
Have you gone to a gastrointestinal doctor yet...the reason i ask is sometimes inability to take deep breaths is to to bloating of your stomach or intestines. ...all that pushes up on your diaphragm not allowing you to breathe in very deeply...maybe vaping is irritating your stomach tissue

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I haven't thought of that. Ill have to look into finding one.

The problem I'm running into is when I Google what causes breathing problems pretty much every disease and body part imaginable pops up Lol

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I haven't thought of that. Ill have to look into finding one.

The problem I'm running into is when I Google what causes breathing problems pretty much every disease and body part imaginable pops up Lol
LOL Most doctors hate hearing a patient say "Well, I googled it and..." but I actually have one doctor who WANTS me to do this so she doesn't have to explain everything to me. I now think I prefer the other type (I feel like she should give me a discount for doing half her work!)

I'm not sure about vaping causing gastrointestinal problems - never heard of that - but it is true that the swelling in the gut can cause breathing problems.

I have a very dear friend who has anxiety problems. I feel for ya. Once a doctor knows this about you, then tend to attribute every symptom to anxiety. Kinda like when you smoked and they blamed everything on smoking.

Maybe you should see a different doctor, but not mention the anxiety... just to see if you get better answers?

Reactions: Jman8

Average Joe111

Apr 16, 2014
LOL Most doctors hate hearing a patient say "Well, I googled it and..." but I actually have one doctor who WANTS me to do this so she doesn't have to explain everything to me. I now think I prefer the other type (I feel like she should give me a discount for doing half her work!)

I'm not sure about vaping causing gastrointestinal problems - never heard of that - but it is true that the swelling in the gut can cause breathing problems.

I have a very dear friend who has anxiety problems. I feel for ya. Once a doctor knows this about you, then tend to attribute every symptom to anxiety. Kinda like when you smoked and they blamed everything on smoking.

Maybe you should see a different doctor, but not mention the anxiety... just to see if you get better answers?
Thats probably my best bet. But I think they can look at my records anyways and it'll pop up. I'm thinking about going to one my friend recommended and seeing his input.

But yeah I try not to Google my medical problems especially since I have anxiety. You type in you can't breathe and it tells you you're either having a heart attack or suffering from every cancer known to man. Lol.

Reactions: KattMamma

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
That asthma inhalers have pg is false information.The albuterol SYRUP is obviously meant for oral administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread