• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Is PG vegan/vegetarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I started wondering about this, mainly because the alternative is vegetable glycerin, but I was unable to find any real answers. As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong), VG is vegan/vegetarian safe. PG may or may not be. Anyone else thought about this or come across any answers?

PG is a synthetic organic compound. Most PG is made in an industrial process and the starting reactant is usually propylene oxide(from propylene(propene) - a component of natural gas). Some(a small percentage of PG) can come from Glycerin, but most comes from the propylene Oxide process.

Last edited:

kai kane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Near da water ...
PG is a synthetic organic compound. Most PG is made in an industrial process and the starting reactant is usually propylene oxide(from propylene(propene) - a component of natural gas). Some(a small percentage of PG) can come from Glycerin, but most comes from the propylene Oxide process.

Is the glycerin-derived PG commercially available? Might be willing to pay a premium for that, if it were possibly better for the lungs.

BTW, appreciated your other posts.
Aloha,
kai

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Is the glycerin-derived PG commercially available?

I'm sure it is available, but I truly have no idea how you would be able to determine the source at time of purchase. You may want to do a google search. In any case, make sure the PG you buy is verified USP grade(via certification of analysis).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread