Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I've been spending a lot of time in the Puresmoker forum these days, because my newest PV is the Prodigy (with 801 adapter). So I still have a foot in the 801 world. More than that, I still love my 801 penstyle (i.e., 801 atty + 801 battery). I love the look, feel and lightness of it ... and the fact that it doesn't deliver as much throat hit as the Prodigy. And the 801 vapor production (especially with a freshly charged battery) is first rate.

My Prodigy is great for my nicotine breaks (analogous to my previous smoke breaks) and, of course, because of battery life between charges. But, for "pacifier" use, I prefer my penstyle. So smooth and no harshness.

So I dropped into this 801 forum ... and see virtually no recent posts.

Hello? Are there any remaining 801 users out there? Or are you all so content that you don't have much to say about the device?

bleck

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Sandy, UT
Hello? Are there any remaining 801 users out there? Or are you all so content that you don't have much to say about the device?

I also like my 801 when I'm at home just sitting around. Although, I just ordered a bunch of atomizer from RuyanDirect and they don't seem to activate as well on the pull with the batteries I had previously. Probably the 801/RN model difference, but it's not the same. I only have 1 of the original atomizers left and use the RuyanDirect ones for my mods.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
I wouldn't consider the 801 pass'e.I just think in the new era of the 510 and the new Mods it has taken a slight backseat.I still like the 801 for what it is and does,smooth,cool throat hit and tons of vapor.....It's nice to be able to go back to it when using the 510..to get a completly different vaping sensation!:)The Wiz!

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
For me, the 801 is just a thread type. Of that thread type (for me), there's the M201 and the BE112. No others. Breaking it down to those two types of atomizers (honestly, the Janty Classic TAWA atomizer sits in between those nicely, but I don't see the point in purchasing more) it then becomes about how I supply power to them. I'm very anti-auto at this point. I want my switch. I want my thumb to perfectly deliver with artistic fury the exact amount of vapor my lungs think they need at a given point in time without having to worry about cutting out. Right now, that's either my QuickCam mod USB passthrough, either of my Puresmoker PT's, or my ErgoLump mod. I've recently donated my Janty Stick and goodies to a co-worker trying hard to quit. Still, to me the 801 style atomizer is "the way, the light, the true path". But the standard way of using it with automatic batteries with crappy longevity is dead. I will say it's stylish in a Joan Crawford kind of way. And I'm just hard enough to figure out that I could get away with it easily, but it's just not optimal. I'm spoiled. I want my 5 or more volts with a button.

EDIT: and to be straight, because of the dripping superiority and the cart superiority, the 801 is the king of Mod's and high voltage vaping. No question. 510 is the real king of low voltage vaping now, and the 901 just needs to go away. It doesn't do anything better than the 510 at low volts.

Last edited:

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I wouldn't consider the 801 pass'e.I just think in the new era of the 510 and the new Mods it has taken a slight backseat.I still like the 801 for what it is and does,smooth,cool throat hit and tons of vapor.....It's nice to be able to go back to it when using the 510..to get a completly different vaping sensation!:)The Wiz!

There's a logic here I agree with. Before I went high volt, I kept a dura-c with me at all times with my janty stick specifically because it offered me contrast. You get enamored with contrast as an e-smoker because it's something you NEVER had with analogs. Some people do it with liquid. I did that for a long time, carrying at least three different kinds of liquid with me at all times. Now I'm doing my own blends, and it's all combinations of coffee, chocolate, mint, and menthol. Nothing else. My contrast is with distinct hit types in the form of three different PV's. I can't find fault in how other e-smokers achieve their contrast. It's one of the greatest things about this way to continue a nicotine addiction. I'm going to miss the pokemon aspect of finding new flavors, but I'm so content now with my current juice fixation that it's definitely comforting to know I finally figured out what I like. I never thought I'd get over Hilton, but now it's boring.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
There's a logic here I agree with. Before I went high volt, I kept a dura-c with me at all times with my janty stick specifically because it offered me contrast. You get enamored with contrast as an e-smoker because it's something you NEVER had with analogs. ....... My contrast is with distinct hit types in the form of three different PV's. I can't find fault in how other e-smokers achieve their contrast. It's one of the greatest things about this way to continue a nicotine addiction. ....

Well said Zofryer! Enamored with the availability of contrast. Great wordsmithing that

But the 901 should go away? Never sir, I say never! :D

My holy trinity of contrast is the 901, 510 and 801. The 2 minis for out and about and the classic for home.

No DonBoldUser, the pen style will surely be around for quite some time to come, not passe by any means.

Later

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I bought a 801 manual for my husband a couple of months ago from Eastmall and he loves it. Just one problem. He is down to one manual battery and 2 auto bats that we don't have a charger for. I think our shipment from China is lost and don't know of any US suppliers to go to for parts. Can anyone here refer me?

Thanks,

Peg

Good morning Peg.
Your best course of action is to go to the Suppliers forum and simply start looking at each suppliers site. Go shopping! the 801 parts and accessories are common enough that a large number of suppliers stock them.

siamama

Apr 18, 2009
Thanks, that's what I have been doing. It took a bit of trying to find someone in the US that has spare parts readily available, but I finally found a site. That's why I decided to look here for a referal. Also since there are those that are less reputable than others I was hoping to find a site that was "trusted" by the majority. Seems that since the 510 was released and then the manual 901, that the 801 has been left behind. That's why this thread caught my attention.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Seems l struck a nerve with this thread (and how I titled it). Good! This is too good a device (modified with more powerful batteries or otherwise) to let fall by the wayside.

I'm now using my Blackberry to make this post so I can't view many of the postings here as I type. I hope you don't mind if I post several smaller notes in dialogue with various points that have been made.

siamama, glad you found a US supplier for those batts. It appears that you've been using a PV for a while, but are an ECF newbie. Welcome! This is the place to be for: good fellowship, knowledgable information and opinion, and access to *good* suppliers. I always check someone out before putting down hard cash, but the supporting suppliers here meet the Reagan standard: "Trust, then verify." I haven't dealt with a lemon yet.

And don't ignore the Chinese (who came up with all this in the first place and sustain most of it). I just got some great stuff unbelievably fast from Ruyan Direct. And I know Zofyer (sp?) swears by EastCig.

BTW, Zof, inscribed on the battery end of my "801" atomizer from Ruyans is: "SLB BE" plus something in very small letters I can't read. Does that "BE" mean that it is a BE112 that you praise so much?

While I'm at it, there is nothing inscribed on the fairly mediocre "801" atomizer (part of a 5-pack) I received from Totally Wicked. Does anyone know what *that* means?

Thanks all!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Seems l struck a nerve with this thread (and how I titled it). Good! This is too good a device (modified with more powerful batteries or otherwise) to let fall by the wayside.

I'm now using my Blackberry to make this post so I can't view many of the postings here as I type. I hope you don't mind if I post several smaller notes in dialogue with various points that have been made.

siamama, glad you found a US supplier for those batts. It appears that you've been using a PV for a while, but are an ECF newbie. Welcome! This is the place to be for: good fellowship, knowledgable information and opinion, and access to *good* suppliers. I always check someone out before putting down hard cash, but the supporting suppliers here meet the Reagan standard: "Trust, then verify." I haven't dealt with a lemon yet.

And don't ignore the Chinese (who came up with all this in the first place and sustain most of it). I just got some great stuff unbelievably fast from Ruyan Direct. And I know Zofyer (sp?) swears by EastCig.

BTW, Zof, inscribed on the battery end of my "801" atomizer from Ruyans is: "SLB BE" plus something in very small letters I can't read. Does that "BE" mean that it is a BE112 that you praise so much?

While I'm at it, there is nothing inscribed on the fairly mediocre "801" atomizer (part of a 5-pack) I received from Totally Wicked. Does anyone know what *that* means?

Thanks all!

Don--many generic 801's are not marked--the RN4072 atomizers has no markings and the BE112 also has no markings on the atomizer either. Hope that helps.

Sun

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Actually, Sun, it doesn't help at all. :) But that ain't *your* fault. I don't believe in shooting the messenger ... and I *appreciate* you're making me aware of the barrier to atomizer identification.

I guess branding is more of a Western tradition (as in the devil heads on my TW atomizers)*.

* Somehow I don't see myself vaping those in front of my corporate clients. ;)

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Actually, Sun, it doesn't help at all. :) But that ain't *your* fault. I don't believe in shooting the messenger ... and I *appreciate* you're making me aware of the barrier to atomizer identification.

I guess branding is more of a Western tradition (as in the devil heads on my TW atomizers)*.

* Somehow I don't see myself vaping those in front of my corporate clients. ;)

Don--I can tell you that it is easy to identify an RN4072 by looking at the bridge--if it is a low arched shape---then it more then likely is an RN4072---made by Frist Union, they are very hard to come by now as many suppliers here in the US do not stock them anymore and many do not order direct as First Union only takes bank wire transfers as payment.

Sun

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
breakfastchef, I'd sure love to see a picture of your "DIY Penstyle Copper Nipple." Sounds fascinating!

OR ... a couple of us fellow South Floridians have been talking about organizing a vaping get together for those in our neck of the woods. Sort of a show and tell (or Tupperware party, without the buying & selling). Keep your eye on the Florida social club forum.

As for Zofryer and Sun, I agree with you about variety of devices and juices being *one* of the many appeals of vaping. You should see me with my "chemisty set"! :) [Nothing really creative yet. Just mixing one LorAnn flavor at a time with PG and VG (mainly at 0 mg), although I will combine butter and pecan tomorrow.]$

I am curious about the tremendous popularity of the 510. What is the appeal? It can't be the time between battery charges - shorter than the 801's that Kate51 was cussing. [That's what precipitated my Prodigy purchase, Kate, just like your move to the JS.]

Is it the smaller size (relative to the 801)? The manual switch? Or that PCC (that does look pretty cool)? My guess is that it's a combination of those.

Thanks for tolerating these multiple bite-sized postings!

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
With the 901 now with manual sealed batteries and the 801 soon to follow, it is the auto switch that will be a thing of the past unless someone can make one without all the hassles and problems.

Sealed manual switch battery for the 801? Other than the (expensive) Janty Kissbox (and that's an add-on, not built into the battery, right?), I've not heard of any.

Tell us more.

BTW, I don't mind the auto switch on my 801. It's not the kind that goes off at the slightest noise. Just a brief primer puff instead of a switch press. The unsealed battery is, of course, a weak point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread