Is the new trend for mods to come without any batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I'm been vaping with my Evod for a while now, and that works fine, but I was thinking of getting a small box mod, since there are a lot of sales at the moment.

I don't know much about box mods, but the ones that I've been looking at seem to not come with even a single battery. Is that a new trend or something, or is that normal and how most box mods are sold?

Two box mods that I've been looking at are the Kangertech subox mini/nano and the eVic VTC.

I'm assuming that most people who buys one of those has to add on at least a couple of batteries, so that there will always be a battery charged, if they plan on vaping all day?

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
I'm been vaping with my Evod for a while now, and that works fine, but I was thinking of getting a small box mod, since there are a lot of sales at the moment.

I don't know much about box mods, but the ones that I've been looking at seem to not come with even a single battery. Is that a new trend or something, or is that normal and how most box mods are sold?

Two box mods that I've been looking at are the Kangertech subox mini/nano and the eVic VTC.

I'm assuming that most people who buys one of those has to add on at least a couple of batteries, so that there will always be a battery charged, if they plan on vaping all day?
Yeah you would definitely want a backup battery. Any mod with removable batteries, doesn't come with batteries. Some mods come with a nonremovable battery, and you just charge it. You can just plug and charge either of the mods you mentioned, but you will have to buy your own batteries.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Not a trend, more like the standard. Sometimes vendors offer mods in a kit w batteries, toppers,etc but generally we buy them separately . A good example would be buying a entry level DSLR kit that comes with lenses,case ,flash etc VS a high end DSLR body only and adding the lenses,etc to suit your needs( a hobby that makes vaping look cheap:), I know from experience!) PS; just like the camera doesn't make the photographer , spending more on a PV doesn't guarantee a better vaping experience....., Both the kits you mentioned are great..........Happy Thanksgiving

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Cool, thanks for the replies. After I choose a box mod, I'll just pick up a few batteries to go with it. I read that Samsung had decent batteries. I don't want any no name cheap batteries exploding in my face or anything like that. :)

And a happy Thanksgiving to everybody here too.
The downside of being able to replace the batteries is you need to understand which 18650's are safe to use and avoid all the rest. The conventional wisdom around here is to buy batteries from online speciality shops that will not risk their reputations selling fakes. Then the battery should be rated to tolerate the maximum amps the mod can draw. There are threads discussing this. The documentation with your mod may have battery specs. The retailer should be able to advise which battery to buy but it's best to do your homework so you don't have to rely on somebody else to get it right. A venting lithium battery can empty a room pretty fast.

Last edited:

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Cool, thanks for the replies. After I choose a box mod, I'll just pick up a few batteries to go with it. I read that Samsung had decent batteries. I don't want any no name cheap batteries exploding in my face or anything like that. :)

I like the LG HG2 batteries, they'd be great for what you're interested in.

Reactions: Boden

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
As mentioned, box mods (and tubes as well) can be replaceable or non- batteries. Advantages of replaceable models are that when battery voltage goes low, you just swap in a fresh one and carry on, no need to wait for it to charge, or be tethered to a charger. And that when the battery reaches the end of its service life, you just buy a new battery, not a whole new mod.

Dis-advantage - may require a higher start-up cost, as you need to get the batteries (at least two!) and suitable charger.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015

I dont have any experience with them yet but if your looking at samsung make sure they're the 25rs for the 20 amp cont. discharge They used to be blue but now they're green.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

It is not a new trend.
With 18650 replaceable battery mods, the mods are usually either sold
- separately, batteries not included
or
- as part of a starter kit, complete with tank or rda, batteries and charger and maybe even a bottle of juice; everything you would need to get started.
or
- somewhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread