is the Nichrome coil in electronic cigs dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been doing allot of research on E-cigs since I started and I'm fairly new, a few months. I chain vape all day and say to myself i wonder if the obvious questions have been asked on what exactly we using? a mere few months of research... What if any harm can these delicious devices do to the body in any way? I've searched and searched yet have not seen much suggestions on any known harm, aside from the obvious over exposure to Nicotine or faulty batteries but I've yet to hear(read) any conversations on the materials besides wicks, filler etc with the agree-ence that this is seemingly fine. Well I recently brainstormed over the right questions to asked. It dawned on me... obviously what sorta wire are they using and what is its composition and effects to the body. so one stuck out Nichrome! Nickel is toxic right? and Nichrome wire has nickel in it! and I've read here that Nickel is basicaly toxic to the human body...( http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp15-c1.pdf ) here is the break down of Nichrome wire also ( Nichrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) don't get me wrong, I'm no scientist but it seems disturbing to me. Does anyone have any information on this. I'm a little nervous on this now and I love to vape sooo much. :unsure: also nickel has no taste so how would you know you weren't breathing it in?

Also id like to add I found silver to be the absolute safest to use. and would make a excellent substitute. any thoughts on this whole thing if so I'm building my own atomizers and wiring them with silver coils instead?

some info on silver ( Silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Any comments will be deeply appreciated thank you.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
The real question you need to ask yourself after fretting about nickel consumption is...
"is the heated nichrome wire being consumed by the process and giving off nickel vapor?"

Given that it's an alloy and that it's physical properties are altered from standard nickel, and that the FDA has not seized upon it as a reason to ban ecigs, I'd say we're pretty safe.

But of course, I'm just speculating and have no idea what I'm on about.
Take it with a big bag of salt.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
So I've been doing allot of research on E-cigs since I started and I'm fairly new, a few months. I chain vape all day and say to myself i wonder if the obvious questions have been asked on what exactly we using? a mere few months of research... What if any harm can these delicious devices do to the body in any way? I've searched and searched yet have not seen much suggestions on any known harm, aside from the obvious over exposure to Nicotine or faulty batteries but I've yet to hear(read) any conversations on the materials besides wicks, filler etc with the agree-ence that this is seemingly fine. Well I recently brainstormed over the right questions to asked. It dawned on me... obviously what sorta wire are they using and what is its composition and effects to the body. so one stuck out Nichrome! Nickel is toxic right? and Nichrome wire has nickel in it! and I've read here that Nickel is basicaly toxic to the human body...( http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp15-c1.pdf ) here is the break down of Nichrome wire also ( Nichrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) don't get me wrong, I'm no scientist but it seems disturbing to me. Does anyone have any information on this. I'm a little nervous on this now and I love to vape sooo much. :unsure: also nickel has no taste so how would you know you weren't breathing it in?

Also id like to add I found silver to be the absolute safest to use. and would make a excellent substitute. any thoughts on this whole thing if so I'm building my own atomizers and wiring them with silver coils instead?

I can understand your concern and honestly I would probably share it, were it not for this (IMO) far greater threat to us all - vapers & non-vapers alike: NOBODY GETS OUTTA HERE ALIVE!!!!

That's right, my friend... I hate to be the bearer of such terrible, unalterable news, but the sad fact is, something's gonna kill us all and there's almost nothing we can do about it.

I say "almost" because there is one small area of this inevitable occurrence over which we have perhaps some influence: we *might* be able to avoid dying from something that wasn't any fun to begin with. I can imagine few things more annoying than to find myself losing my life for something I didn't even enjoy... like being shot for stealing a starving chicken too scrawny to cook. (I have never actually stole a chicken, but if I ever do I would hope to choose more wisely, just in case).

So, for the time being, between now & my bucket-kickin', daisy-pushin' days, I'm not gonna worry too much about stuff like that. Mostly now I'm just keeping my eyes open for pleasant ways to live & give back, to find joy and spread it around. I figure if I stay busy doing fun stuff like that, sooner or later one of those fun things will kill me, and I'll be Blessed to die pretty much as I am now, still smiling, still certain that God's Got This.

Happy Vaping! :toast:

@Warren D. Lockaby im def up to living life to the fullest :toast: still vaping but i like to be aware of whatever the possible outcome is... in the perfect world of coarse lol.. anyhoooo i feel its everyone's duty to learn as much information of what we are doing. i like the idea of vaping and like to see it live long. thanks for the feedback i appreciate it :vapor:

@ambition (@ the second comment) also just adding if you look inside the dual cartomizer it leaves behind a slight discoloration the same that fake jewelry does from having too much nickel? a indicator that is present especially on those dual cartomizers when the liquid doesn't seem to get to the top coil as much? im no scientist tho so i may be way off with my assumption.

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
The only sure way to answer this would be to take the vapor from a normal atomizer draw with a given ejuice into a spectrometer and measure the nickel content. I'd wager that it would be inconsequential for normal conditions. Now, if you were to dry burn and inhale THAT, I'd bet you'd get some elevated levels from the coil material. Fortunately, coils tend to pop (become an electrical "open") at the point that hey melt and thus stop working, so, IMO, that makes it a non issue.

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas

Silver would not make a good resistance coil unfortunately as it is a very good conductor of electricity.

Don't worry to much about the Nickel/Chrome wire. The temperature of the of the coil in an e-cig is fairly low when compared to the melting point of the resistance wire (abt 1400 deg C) .

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
I always wondered that with HV vaping but that's pretty much it. For Nickel to heat up that much and do damage you'd prolly have to be inhaling nothing but fumes and your "Mizer" would prolly take a crap by then anyway.

I will say this... after 8 months of smoking I could feel a huge difference in way too many parts of my body. After vaping for only about 8 months I feel a huge difference in way too many parts of my body too. Just way better!;)

Good question man. Welcome to the forums. Nice hand piece BTW!

SubSplat

Jan 25, 2012
Oregon
@ambition (@ the second comment) also just adding if you look inside the dual cartomizer it leaves behind a slight discoloration the same that fake jewelry does from having too much nickel? a indicator that is present especially on those dual cartomizers when the liquid doesn't seem to get to the top coil as much? im no scientist tho so i may be way off with my assumption.

Not sure, of course, but I've always assumed that discoloration is singed juice. Seems far more likely.

As for the duals, that's not the coil you're thinking of. The two coils are in the bottom and middle section of the filler. The thing you see poking out at the top is just wire connecting the coils in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread