is the Nichrome coil in electronic cigs dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
This is the main issue with ecigs these days, no regulation, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Given most everything ecig involved, aside from some juices, are coming from China, we should be more concerned. China isn't known for regulated quality, we all should remember the toxic toothpaste and dogfood scandal coming from China a few years back. China simply does not care, just as long as they make profit. We would probably all agree that most, if not all, of us would NOT consume any food products that came from China, but we fail to realize this is where 99% of the ecig related stuff is coming from (juices, nicotine, components, parts etc etc). And we are sucking this stuff into our lungs and handling the materials on a daily basis.

While I would like to believe that this is inherently better than smoking, we really have no idea what we are sucking in or whether or not the materials used in the various components and juices are carcinogenic or toxic. I'm sure there is a reason the ecig components are dirt cheap (a 5 pack of cartos for $10??), it's because they are being made with little to no regulation for public health or safety.

On the other hand, no regulation = cheaper and has no unwarranted governmental interference. But mark my words people, this will not last forever. In a few years we will probably have to purchase ecig components and juice from suppliers who are under strict FDA (or some other agency) guidelines and regulations. Prices will skyrocket and what we have now, a somewhat small cottage industry, will disappear for the more expensive, and likely lower quality, alternatives. But on the other hand, we will at least have some relief that the materials or juices are somewhat safe for our consumption (and I say that with a grain of salt).

We can't bury our heads under the sand forever and believe that this is inherently safer than smoking cigarettes, cause it may actually be worse given China's reputation for cheap and deadly. If mixing lead, or something else more toxic, into the materials saves them $5, they will do it.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
You might be surprised at the amount of food products coming from China (and worse places) people consume every day

And there are PV parts made in other countries too. I've got a few USA made atomizers, one US mod, and just the batteries were made in China. The juice was made in my own home and is all US sourced components. You don't have to go to Asia for everything, but it's easier and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread