Is the PROVARI worth it...YES and I will explain WHY. Facts, not fanyboyism. Plz Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I personally have to agree with that idea although I would go the route of owning a handfull of 510 or ego connectors you can then go to radio shack purchase a project box potentiometer and AA battery holders get some rechargable AA batteries and be able to build a ton of variable volt devices for yourself

I'm starting to agree with this. I got a super simple mech mod... pulled it apart and thought... wow. So simple, I might be able to do it:). But, not being able to tell the atomizer ohms, the battery life left, and adjusting the vape setting, even with a kick seems like a whole lot of extra work to vape.

thezoo

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
pennsylvania
glassgal:11838396 said:
I personally have to agree with that idea although I would go the route of owning a handfull of 510 or ego connectors you can then go to radio shack purchase a project box potentiometer and AA battery holders get some rechargable AA batteries and be able to build a ton of variable volt devices for yourself

I'm starting to agree with this. I got a super simple mech mod... pulled it apart and thought... wow. So simple, I might be able to do it:). But, not being able to tell the atomizer ohms, the battery life left, and adjusting the vape setting, even with a kick seems like a whole lot of extra work to vape.

Yes it would be a lot tougher for sure but you can use a multimeter with ohm meter option available at radio shack and it also works as a volt meter but once vapor production drops off you pretty much know your batteries need charged ( I have a large collection of energizer recharge batteries for my speaker box I use at work the are not lithiums but nimh batteries) and this is my shtf plan only and wouldnt want to use it if I have functioning equipment. Only use that option when all my stuff stops working

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
I believe the vapocalypse will NOT be happening. Look at ........ legalization...the masses finally realized and were able to convince their representatives that the plant is immensely beneficial in many ways.

In this enlightened digital age, people have unprecedented access to information that is factual. Granted much of this information needs to be sifted, but the point still stands. Anyone can learn anything about anything. This was not the case 20, and even 10 years ago. Our culture will not allow total ecig prohibition because it clearly saves lives. People have the knowledge now, and they wont be walked over. Call this optimistic, but its true.

Even there was a vapocalypse, its not as though basic ecig technology is very complex. People can and do make their own PVs, so I really dont see this being an issue. All you need for elquid is a Vg/Pg base, and nicotine. People can grow and extract tobacco in their back yards if they wanted to.

I say we bring this topic back to its original point....is the provari worth it?

Elantis

~≈Dragonfly≈~
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Hoosier Cornhusker
I say we bring this topic back to its original point....is the provari worth it?

Good luck with that ;) - I've been on this forum for 1 1/2 years and haven't seen that happen yet...but in the interest of the thread, I did want to say Thank you Cearamm for the detailed and very informative thread starting post. It was definitely a breath of fresh air seeing detailed information in lieu of the normal comments regarding this particular subject.

My first ProVari was purchased as a "attaboy" congratulations to myself for being tobacco free for six months. Prior to that purchase, I had only used cig-a-likes, eGo's and had purchased a Vamo, so as you can imagine I was completely blown away with the quality of not only the device itself but the consistent and quality vape I received. And those reasons alone, convinced me that this was exactly what I was looking for in a device.

Since that time, I have purchased 3 more...I have purchased other devices also, Silver Bullets, Sigelei Zmax Mini's, Innokin VTR & MVP2, some cheap China mech mods, The Natural and an IceMatte Dingo.

For me, personally and that is all I really care about, all of the other devices could be gone today and as long as I have my ProV's - I'm good.

RainBatRi

Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
NY, USA
This reply is mostly directed at glassgal and p.opus but only because they've both touched on stuff I something to say about.

CONS
1. Like p.opus said, not everyone can afford a Provari. Sure, getting cheaper devices and having to replace them is more expensive in the long run, but some people don't have enough money all at once to spend on ONE device. I'm sorry, but for the price of a Provari I can feed my family for at least three days. Some people just can't justify it. You make do with cheaper devices because it's better than going without.

2. glassgal, YOU may not care about eGo threading or VW, but other people DO. If you've been using an eGo for a while and make the jump to a Provari, just getting the Provari is expensive without having to replace all of your eGo threaded tanks as well. It really seems lazy to me, it shouldn't be too difficult for them to just switch to a different connector. As for VW, I would give a lot more consideration to trying to save up for a Provari if it was VW. I use RDAs enough that it would be nice to not have to readjust my settings every time I switch atomizers that are set up for different resistances or redo my coils. With a my kid constantly underfoot, it would be nice not to have to really fine-tune my coils to get them perfectly right and just be able get the resistance close enough and call it good. My husband and I would be able to share tank heads without having to fuss with different settings, which can be a big deal for him if he just slaps a new head in as he leaves for work. He doesn't get many breaks at work and most of them aren't long, so he doesn't want to spend it trying to get his settings right. As for the argument about setting your VV, most devices that I know of that are VW also do VV and if Provari went that route it really wouldn't change anything for you or any other current Provari user since you'd still be able to do VV. Hell, for all any of us know it would be offered as a different model and the VV version could be completely untouched.

3. As for losing/breaking/anything that would require replacement stuff, it's not me that I'm worried about. I have a two year old, and while I do my absolute best to keep all of my vaping gear out of his reach, the fact of the matter is that if he really wants to get to it he will. Granted, Provaris are built tough, but I'm not convinced it would hold up to being dropped in a toilet or having the buttons mashed aggressively with grubby fingers. My husband vapes at work. He's military, and while they're generally good guys stuff does still go missing. Accidents happen. If it becomes unusable for any reason, I'm out the equivalent of half a week of groceries.

PROS
4. I actually really do like the option of being able to swap out the batteries. If I'm out at a friend's place or out of town visiting family for a few days it can be easier to carry several spare Provari batteries and just charge them when I get home instead of having to stop vaping if charging (even as a pass-through) is not possible.

5. It is built to last. I've never seen one in person, but the testimonies of others say it will last a long while if treated right. If I had a choice, I would rather have a device that would last than one that probably wouldn't. It's basic common sense. It may not be indestructible, but it's close enough that I like it.

6. I do like that it's American made, I like supporting American businesses that keep their production in the country.

7. I absolutely ADORE all of the safety features.

CONCLUSION
It all boils down to the original question, is it worth it? It's a very subjective question, and the answer isn't always yes even if we want it to be. For me, personally, right now as things stand in my life and the current features the Provari has, no, it's not worth it. I'd love to have one, honestly, but it doesn't have VW and it doesn't have eGo threads. VW isn't essential, I can live without that but it sure would make it more worth it. As for the threads, I have to use a cone with my 510 tanks to get the airflow I want. I can't replace my device AND my tanks and still have money to eat.

Something I think people need to realize is that not everyone who says a Provari isn't worth it for them are saying it's not a good device. It's just not worth it for them, be it for their vape style, their budget, or their aesthetic taste. I can look at a car and think it's a great car, but I can see that it doesn't have the trunk space I need, or it doesn't seat as many people as I need it to. That doesn't make it a bad car, it's just not the right one for me. And for all the Provari fanboys out there waiting to convert us non-believers, back the frell off. If we say we're looking at two devices but can't decide which to get, don't tell us to get a Provari. We're not considering it for a reason. If we're asking which device is best for under $100, don't tell us to get a Provari. Some of us have budgets that the Provari just doesn't fit in. All you're doing is making an ... of yourself and irking people. :2c:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
This reply is mostly directed at glassgal and p.opus but only because they've both touched on stuff I something to say about.

CONS
1. Like p.opus said, not everyone can afford a Provari. Sure, getting cheaper devices and having to replace them is more expensive in the long run, but some people don't have enough money all at once to spend on ONE device. I'm sorry, but for the price of a Provari I can feed my family for at least three days. Some people just can't justify it. You make do with cheaper devices because it's better than going without.

2. glassgal, YOU may not care about eGo threading or VW, but other people DO. If you've been using an eGo for a while and make the jump to a Provari, just getting the Provari is expensive without having to replace all of your eGo threaded tanks as well. It really seems lazy to me, it shouldn't be too difficult for them to just switch to a different connector. As for VW, I would give a lot more consideration to trying to save up for a Provari if it was VW. I use RDAs enough that it would be nice to not have to readjust my settings every time I switch atomizers that are set up for different resistances or redo my coils. With a my kid constantly underfoot, it would be nice not to have to really fine-tune my coils to get them perfectly right and just be able get the resistance close enough and call it good. My husband and I would be able to share tank heads without having to fuss with different settings, which can be a big deal for him if he just slaps a new head in as he leaves for work. He doesn't get many breaks at work and most of them aren't long, so he doesn't want to spend it trying to get his settings right. As for the argument about setting your VV, most devices that I know of that are VW also do VV and if Provari went that route it really wouldn't change anything for you or any other current Provari user since you'd still be able to do VV. Hell, for all any of us know it would be offered as a different model and the VV version could be completely untouched.

3. As for losing/breaking/anything that would require replacement stuff, it's not me that I'm worried about. I have a two year old, and while I do my absolute best to keep all of my vaping gear out of his reach, the fact of the matter is that if he really wants to get to it he will. Granted, Provaris are built tough, but I'm not convinced it would hold up to being dropped in a toilet or having the buttons mashed aggressively with grubby fingers. My husband vapes at work. He's military, and while they're generally good guys stuff does still go missing. Accidents happen. If it becomes unusable for any reason, I'm out the equivalent of half a week of groceries.

PROS
4. I actually really do like the option of being able to swap out the batteries. If I'm out at a friend's place or out of town visiting family for a few days it can be easier to carry several spare Provari batteries and just charge them when I get home instead of having to stop vaping if charging (even as a pass-through) is not possible.

5. It is built to last. I've never seen one in person, but the testimonies of others say it will last a long while if treated right. If I had a choice, I would rather have a device that would last than one that probably wouldn't. It's basic common sense. It may not be indestructible, but it's close enough that I like it.

6. I do like that it's American made, I like supporting American businesses that keep their production in the country.

CONCLUSION
It all boils down to the original question, is it worth it? It's a very subjective question, and the answer isn't always yes even if we want it to be. For me, personally, right now as things stand in my life and the current features the Provari has, no, it's not worth it. I'd love to have one, honestly, but it doesn't have VW and it doesn't have eGo threads. VW isn't essential, I can live without that but it sure would make it more worth it. As for the threads, I have to use a cone with my 510 tanks to get the airflow I want. I can't replace my device AND my tanks and still have money to eat.

Something I think people need to realize is that not everyone who says a Provari isn't worth it for them are saying it's not a good device. It's just not worth it for them, be it for their vape style, their budget, or their aesthetic taste. I can look at a car and think it's a great car, but I can see that it doesn't have the trunk space I need, or it doesn't seat as many people as I need it to. That doesn't make it a bad car, it's just not the right one for me. And for all the Provari fanboys out there waiting to convert us non-believers, back the frell off. If we say we're looking at two devices but can't decide which to get, don't tell us to get a Provari. We're not considering it for a reason. If we're asking which device is best for under $100, don't tell us to get a Provari. Some of us have budgets that the Provari just doesn't fit in. All you're doing is making an ... of yourself and irking people. :2c:

couldn't have said it better myself.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Good reading here. Great post by the way from the OP. Enjoyed the Counter posts. :toast:

This has been one of the better ProVari pro/con threads...and yes I am a multi ProVari owner. It also shares time with a Semovar.

Only one thing I would like to chime in about. The MVP.

I have jumped in many threads and agree that the MVP is probably the best "bang for the Buck" in our vaping world. I have urged many to buy one. The down side to the MVP is Dont drop it. A three foot drop from your hand to the pavement/side walk will kill it in my experience. Just be more carfull than I. I have done this twice. Other than that.....have at it.

To another previous poster..the military guy..... If its not affordable, its not affordable....and an MVP or Zmax or SVD, in my opinion, is a very good choice. I have them all. But just to let you know...mud, grubby hands, dropping in the toilet, and scooting across a parking lot with a ProVari has not damaged any of mine at all. One has been dropped in a toilet 3 times by one particular daughter that also likes to drop Ipods and S4's in the same toilet from her back pocket apparantly. They, unfortunalty did not make it.........

Great posts everyone !!

Last edited:

jffvera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
New York
I am seriously not trying to troll here, this is a discussion that often comes up when I am hanging out at my local shop.

It's 2014, why do you guys still think the Provari is "THE" regulated device to get. I mean in comparison to a Chinese made device it easily wins, you won't see me arguing that an SVD, ZMAX, MVP2 compare to it.

But what about the Semovar? At $215 it's basically the same price as a colored Provari with 18650 extension and a beauty ring. However, the Semovar has vv an vw. The workmanship on the Semovar is excellent, as it is made by ze Germans, and comes with a 1 year warranty as well.

Then what about the slew of sub $200 DNA devices hitting the market in the last month? I just got a Hana Modz, I paid $215 for it, and I must say it's exceptionally well made.

I am not trying to imply that the Provari sucks, or isn't worth the money. I am just saying that in the year 2014, there are other options that if you don't think exceed it in performance and craftsmanship are at least it's equal.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I am seriously not trying to troll here, this is a discussion that often comes up when I am hanging out at my local shop.

It's 2014, why do you guys still think the Provari is "THE" regulated device to get. I mean in comparison to a Chinese made device it easily wins, you won't see me arguing that an SVD, ZMAX, MVP2 compare to it.

But what about the Semovar? At $215 it's basically the same price as a colored Provari with 18650 extension and a beauty ring. However, the Semovar has vv an vw. The workmanship on the Semovar is excellent, as it is made by ze Germans, and comes with a 1 year warranty as well.

Then what about the slew of sub $200 DNA devices hitting the market in the last month? I just got a Hana Modz, I paid $215 for it, and I must say it's exceptionally well made.

I am not trying to imply that the Provari sucks, or isn't worth the money. I am just saying that in the year 2014, there are other options that if you don't think exceed it in performance and craftsmanship are at least it's equal.

Well, its probably because this is a Provari thread. If you go over to the "Provari VS Semovar" thread you will see many posts over there by myself and others telling everyone what I think of my 309.00 Semovar full kit with the Hybrid adapter and the pros and cons of the Nivel Chip.

The DNA 30 is soon to be released and I may get me one of those to try....your local vape shop should have maybe told you ......... But this thread is not about that. But hey.......I could be wrong.

Last edited:

jffvera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
New York
Well, its probably because this is a Provari thread. If you go over to the "Provari VS Semovar" thread you will see many posts over there by myself and others telling everyone what I think of my 309.00 Semovar full kit with the Hybrid adapter and the pros and cons of the Nivel Chip.

The DNA 30 is soon to be released and I may get me one of those to try....your local vape shop should have maybe told you ......... But this thread is not about that. But hey.......I could be wrong.

Well I don't know if you can have a thread stating if the Provari is worth it, but then exclude any discussion of devices that may have superior features or performance for roughly the same price.

But hey.......I could be wrong.

Edit: I am fully aware of the impending release of the DNA30 chip. But thanks for being smug and attempting to imply that I am a complete noob. I didn't mention it because it's not currently available for purchase, while one can walk into a store or go online and purchase a DNA20 device or Semovar.

Last edited:

RainBatRi

Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
NY, USA
Good reading here. Great post by the way from the OP. Enjoyed the Counter posts. :toast:

This has been one of the better ProVari pro/con threads...and yes I am a multi ProVari owner. It also shares time with a Semovar.

Only one thing I would like to chime in about. The MVP.

I have jumped in many threads and agree that the MVP is probably the best "bang for the Buck" in our vaping world. I have urged many to buy one. The down side to the MVP is Dont drop it. A three foot drop from your hand to the pavement/side walk will kill it in my experience. Just be more carfull than I. I have done this twice. Other than that.....have at it.

To another previous poster..the military guy..... If its not affordable, its not affordable....and an MVP or Zmax or SVD, in my opinion, is a very good choice. I have them all. But just to let you know...mud, grubby hands, dropping in the toilet, and scooting across a parking lot with a ProVari has not damaged any of mine at all. One has been dropped in a toilet 3 times by one particular daughter that also likes to drop Ipods and S4's in the same toilet from her back pocket apparantly. They, unfortunalty did not make it.........

Great posts everyone !!
I'm glad to know they're so durable, especially in water. While my kid hasn't put anything in the toilet that he shouldn't yet I know it's going to happen eventually. Seriously though, cost is the biggest issue with the fact that we both want VW devices being second. The way I'm looking at it right now is that hopefully by the time the VW device that I'm currently saving for dies the Provari will be VV/VW. With luck though, Provari will be VW before then and I can use the other device as a backup.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com

CONS

Then why even consider it? The Provari doesn't have Ego threading. So if you need Ego threading, why would you look at ANY battery that doesn't have it? This makes no sense. No one argued that you have to feed your family first to even bring that up.

Again, if you care about Ego threading, and you know the Provari doesn't have it, why are you in this thread? If I wear a size 8 shoe, I would not spend hours standing in the sizes 6 shoe section, complaining that size 6 shoes do not fit me. If someone posts why they like a Reo, do you hop in there with a justification for why you don't have a Reo? Don't get a Reo. Don't get a Provari.

Given the price of Provari in VV, if Provari made a VW, it would cost MORE than a Provari VV. So why are you asking Provari, which you can't afford because you must feed your family, for a feature that will cost more than the one you can't afford now, and which does not have the Ego threading you require? I simply cannot fathom your reasoning here.

For all the factors you listed, ego-threading, ego pricing, ego replacement, you should buy an ego. Why are you in the Provari section again? Because if you drop the Provari in the toilet, and the electronics melts, I think it's $69 replacement cost for the electronics... plus 2 way shipping ($11?). You can drop SEVEN Ego's in the toilet for that price! AND have ego threading!!!

PROS

I don't think it will last past a drop in the toilet. I don't know, but has ANYONE done this and it survive?

Agreed. But no American company can make a $10 battery. I assume you have owned an Ego. I don't think you would take an Ego apart precisely for $10, and it's way easier to disassemble someone else's work than to build something to work (observe your kids for the proof of this). Every component of an American made part meant someone got paid for their work. People deserve to be paid for their work. Now you know why Provari costs so much. And Provari is THE CHEAPEST American made mod I know of. The other, custom mods cost more. Check out Vaporev, look at an Otto Carver mod. American all the way, for the low price of $3000.

Me too, and that's also why they cost so much.

CONCLUSION

Who is irking people? The OP made a post explaining why he thought the Provari was worth it. Someone argued with invalid points. I responded to those points. No one said anywhere that anyone needs or must buy a Provari.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Well I don't know if you can have a thread stating if the Provari is worth it, but then exclude any discussion of devices that may have superior features or performance for roughly the same price.

But hey.......I could be wrong.

Edit: I am fully aware of the impending release of the DNA30 chip. But thanks for being smug and attempting to imply that I am a complete noob. I didn't mention it because it's not currently available for purchase, while one can walk into a store or go online and purchase a DNA20 device or Semovar.

Great Question. Probably because some of us think VW is useless, and see no reason to buy it, because most of us started with VW on the MVP2 and moved UP to the VV of the Provari. Yah yah, VW is better. Get it then. Lets see, there's Futura, there's several DNA20s, but everyone wants Provari to make VW, when most of the other US mods are VW already, and they can get one.
More amazing, people think Provari are too expensive, knowing that if ProVape made a VW, it would probably be 2x more than a Provari. :blink::blink:

RainBatRi

Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
NY, USA
Who is irking people? The OP made a post explaining why he thought the Provari was worth it. Someone argued with invalid points. I responded to those points. No one said anywhere that anyone needs or must buy a Provari.
If you read what I actually wrote, you will see exactly who I said is irking people. The points you claim are invalid are only invalid in your opinion and I was trying to make a balanced argument instead of going to an extreme (for example, those who feel anything other than a Provari isn't worth it vs those who feel they're overrated). What the OP said is that the Provari is worth the money it costs, essentially that the price of the Provari is appropriate to the quality of the device. The counter-arguments you have responded to are basically saying that if it lacks certain features desired by that person and finances are tight, then giving up that much for a Provari isn't worth what that money would be used for instead. However, they also said that if the Provari DID have those desired features, it would be worth saving up for. This is called intelligent debate and discussion. That's what is supposed to happen in forums.

Last edited:

jffvera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
New York
Great Question. Probably because some of us think VW is useless, and see no reason to buy it, because most of us started with VW on the MVP2 and moved UP to the VV of the Provari. Yah yah, VW is better. Get it then. Lets see, there's Futura, there's several DNA20s, but everyone wants Provari to make VW, when most of the other US mods are VW already, and they can get one.
More amazing, people think Provari are too expensive, knowing that if ProVape made a VW, it would probably be 2x more than a Provari. :blink::blink:

It would be impossible for me to care less if a device is vv, vw, or vv/vw. Therefore, I can't say that the Provari being only vv is a serious strike against it. I never said the Provari wasn't worth it.

I assumed this thread was open for legitimate discussion and would allow people to offer dissenting opinions. I see now that this is not the case. So in an effort to appease anyone who's gotten all worked up by my comments let me offer this: OMFG The Provari is the greatest regulated device ever created and will continue to be known as such until Provape makes their next mod. All hail the mighty Provari!

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I got one, got it in September 2013. Of of the 15 or so pvd I have owned it is the most disappointing. I could rattle off plenty of other devices for less money that works just as good many will work better. No Way "proheap" should be considered a highend device. My "proheap" is not even a backup device. I keep it on a shelf to remind me to do my own reserch and not listen to the hype.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
If you read what I actually wrote, you will see exactly who I said is irking people. The points you claim are invalid are only invalid in your opinion and I was trying to make a balanced argument instead of going to an extreme (for example, those who feel anything other than a Provari isn't worth it vs those who feel they're overrated). What the OP said is that the Provari is worth the money it costs, essentially that the price of the Provari is appropriate to the quality of the device. The counter-arguments you have responded to are basically saying that if it lacks certain features desired by that person and finances are tight, then giving up that much for a Provari isn't worth what that money would be used for instead. However, they also said that if the Provari DID have those desired features, it would be worth saving up for. This is called intelligent debate and discussion. That's what is supposed to happen in forums.

I don't get that you can't afford a Provari on a soldier's salary. Seems to me it's the best deal by far for a soldier, since if soldiers today smoked as much as they did when my husband was a US Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, your husband spends $10 a day on cigs at the PX alone, not paying taxes. A civilian would spend $20 a day at the rate the normal US soldier used to smoke. That means that if the Provari inspired him to quit, you bought it in 2 weeks with the money he wouldn't even notice being missing, because it went up in smoke before. And every 2 weeks, he could afford another Provari, without touching your food budget. So that by the end of the year, he would have 26 Provari. But he only needs 1 for that year.

If he doesn't smoke cigarettes, there's no point to a Provari or any other e-cig.

But I think your best bet is a MVP2, because it has VW and Ego threading.

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I got one, got it in September 2013. Of of the 15 or so pvd I have owned it is the most disappointing. I could rattle off plenty of other devices for less money that works just as good many will work better. No Way "proheap" should be considered a highend device. My "proheap" is not even a backup device. I keep it on a shelf to remind me to do my own reserch and not listen to the hype.

Why is it collecting dust when you can sell it immediately in the Classfieds? And you have an Opus D, a $242 Mod 'glued to your hand', but can name any number of mods better than the Provari... even tho you yourself don't use them. ehhe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread