Is the SONY VTC5 18650 batteries good for the SMOK Alien 220w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumberlack

Feb 5, 2016
I would recommend a standalone charger like the xtar VC2. I have never used the USB port for charging in any mods other than the ones with built-in Lipo batteries.

I'm not 100% sure if there is a vendor in the forums that sells HB6's in Canada, but there might be. IMRbatteries.com ships to Canada, but I'm not sure what the cost is.

the shipping for IMRbatteries is also $25...and the HB6 is out of stock. i'll probably end up just ordering them from liionwholesale because they're in stock...

Point of fact, we aren't using these batteries in the way they were designed at all. We pulse them for short bursts where they were designed for continuous drain or other applications.

I'm not going to continue this further as we clearly have two completely different understandings on how batteries function. Although we both stress safety, we have different ideas in application.

so are you saying it's safe to use batteries above their continous discharge amps if it's in short bursts? maybe not 200w, but maybe 150w for 3-4 second puffs?

Hamhawk

Oct 21, 2016
San Carlos, CA
I'm saying it can be, dependent upon the type of battery, how far above the cdr, and the mod used. There are a lot of variables. Mooch has a good set of tests that show how different batteries perform during 5 second pulses at different amperages. You should look at how the batteries you have perform.

I don't recommend it as you will not get good battery life, the batteries will not last as long as there usable life span will be shortened, and you may encounter errors or other problems with the mod. In general, unless there are physical problems with the batteries, or there is a major failure with the mod, they will not vent or explode. Regulated mods have a lot of safety features to prevent such events.

Reactions: Joergl100

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
Thanks a lot, @Hamhawk! I fully agree with You!
greeting.gif
hi.gif

Jumberlack

Feb 5, 2016
alright, so i've been doing some more research into battery safety. from what i can find, it's generally safe to go above the continuous discharge rating since vaping is just pulsing the battery, and batteries have a higher pulse rate than continuous discharge. is that true? for example the purple efests are 20 amp batteries but have a 35 amp pulse rate, does that mean it's safe to use them up to a 35 amp load?

and what's the pulse rate of the VTC5? i'm trying to not to blow myself up here...

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I just noticed that the the Alien apparently discharges the batteries down to an uncharacteristically low 2.8v (the Djlsb vapes review). This needs to be accounted for when calculating the amp draw. For example, at 220w the draw is now in excess of 43 amps, double the cdr of the vtc5. I would strongly recommend against using this mod at its full wattage with 20 amp batteries, or any batteries really!

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Jumberlack

Feb 5, 2016
I just noticed that the the Alien apparently discharges the batteries down to an uncharacteristically low 2.8v (the Djlsb vapes review). This needs to be accounted for when calculating the amp draw. For example, at 220w the draw is now in excess of 43 amps, double the cdr of the vtc5. I would strongly recommend against using this mod at its full wattage with 20 amp batteries, or any batteries really!

so what is the highest wattage i can vape at safely with vtc5's? and does the ohms make a difference in the amps?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
so what is the highest wattage i can vape at safely with vtc5's? and does the ohms make a difference in the amps?
In order to stay within the cdr of the batteries, 110w. The batteries can most likely handle more than that, but I can't say how much, nor can I in good conscience recommend going over the cdr. The ohms don't factor into the amp draw on a regulated device. Note that the amp display on the mod shows the amps at the atomizer side of things (useless information), which is unrelated to the actual battery amp draw.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
alright, so i've been doing some more research into battery safety. from what i can find, it's generally safe to go above the continuous discharge rating since vaping is just pulsing the battery, and batteries have a higher pulse rate than continuous discharge. is that true? for example the purple efests are 20 amp batteries but have a 35 amp pulse rate, does that mean it's safe to use them up to a 35 amp load?

and what's the pulse rate of the VTC5? i'm trying to not to blow myself up here...
It's true that pulse ratings are higher than continuous ratings. Big deal. :glare:

I'm of the belief that pulse ratings are useless. The term was created by companies who rewrap batteries and they came up with a way to over-rate their battery specs to get consumers to believe their batteries are somehow better than those made by Lg, Samsung, or Sony. The continuous discharge rate (CDR) is the universally recognized gold standard for battery specifications.

Battery Amp Ratings: Continuous vs Pulse Ratings
Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!
Are You Using a ReWrap Battery?
Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I have really enjoyed this thread. It is very informative and I have learned a lot. But honestly, does anyone really think that the Smok Alien can actually do 220 watts? Don't get me wrong, I have one and I love it, but I truly think that 220 watts is an exaggeration by the manufacturer.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I have really enjoyed this thread. It is very informative and I have learned a lot. But honestly, does anyone really think that the Smok Alien can actually do 220 watts? Don't get me wrong, I have one and I love it, but I truly think that 220 watts is an exaggeration by the manufacturer.
In the Djlsb vapes video review it fires at 221.9w with a .12Ω coil. It would be better if it didn't actually fire higher than 150w (which is doable with 30 amp batteries).

Jumberlack

Feb 5, 2016

not sure..maybe with 30 amp batteries. i got mine the other day and so far i haven't pushed it above 100w to be safe

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
In the Djlsb vapes video review it fires at 221.9w with a .12Ω coil. It would be better if it didn't actually fire higher than 150w (which is doable with 30 amp batteries).

I am surprised. So many manufacturers exaggerate their claims.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Get a VTC5A, that's the best battery for that mod.
Best is very subjective. The LG hb-series is better if really high wattage is required (up to 155w). Sony vtc6, LG hg2, or Samsung 30q are best if 105w is sufficient and good battery life is important. The vtc5a is the right choice for a balance between battery life (less than the vtc6, hg2, and 30q but more than the hb-batteries) and power (up to 130w).

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
Best is very subjective. The LG hb-series is better if really high wattage is required (up to 155w). Sony vtc6, LG hg2, or Samsung 30q are best if 105w is sufficient and good battery life is important. The vtc5a is the right choice for a balance between battery life (less than the vtc6, hg2, and 30q but more than the hb-batteries) and power (up to 130w).

This covers it all if your wattage is below 105w then that changes your needs. I personally have some 30Q's and absolutely love them, but I also haven't pushed them nor had any reason to check their limits

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread