Is there a difference in atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, cheap doesn't always equal authentic though I hope you are buying authentic. A lot of what happens to coil longevity has to do with juice type and wattage. If you have a thick, gunky, dark (maybe even colored) and sweet juice, you are going to have high gunk factors. If you have a clear juice that's maybe 50/50 PG/VG, your coil may last longer. Some folks also prefer to vape different juices at different wattages. Finally, some coils are duds. Some of these factors you can control, others not so much.

Anna

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
Well Anna, I do use 50/50 and the juice is between light and dark. I also vape at around 5 watts. However, I do add a drop of sweetener for every 1 1/2 tanks. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Beamslider, could you please elaborate re: coil building or steer me to some info.

Thanks to you both.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sweetener is a known coil killer. This is why I don't buy storebought juice, at least partially. If you are ADDING sweetener to storebought juice (unless it's tobacco or something, well, tobacco juices are also gunky) that could explain your issues.... I sweeten at about 1% (if that) and reserve some of my favorite juices (now) for my RTAs, which are Rebuildable tank atomizers, and Beamslider has pointed you in the correct direction to do more research on that. You can save on your coils, and keep that sweetener, or you can save on your juices and DIY those. Or, you know, both. :)

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
This is what I'm buying for my Protank. Are these rebuildable and is it worth it for what they cost?
s-l500.jpg

I did just figure out that soaking them in rubbing alcohol over night renders them usable again.

Last edited:

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I'll second coil building. I think a person has to have an aptitude and of course a propensity to enjoy the activity. But with that said, it opens up a whole new world of better flavor, better fog, more control over battery life, better coil life, reduction of cost, and a plethora of atty options, and mod options, e.g. any atty can become a TC atty. Coil building transitioned vaping into a hobby for me. Of course that bloomed into dyi juices and moding as well after time but that was the beginning.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
However, I do add a drop of sweetener for every 1 1/2 tanks. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Yup. Sweet and dark and NETs (sediment, coloring, flavorings) are coil killers. I vape a lot of flavorless or nearly flavorless and my coils last forever.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Back in the day I used to rebuild them and once you get a program together its fairly easy. Look for Mac's post on tension coils, it helped my rebuilding.

Same here. Mac taught us all how to rebuild those tiny coils. It worked great. Even just rewicking and gentle dry burning would extend the life of those coils substantially.

The epic thread: Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Thanks, @MacTechVpr :)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I did just figure out that soaking them in rubbing alcohol over night renders them usable again.

Not recommended.

It won't really make them clean--only potentially toxic. Do NOT soak in Isopropyl alcohol as there's no way to properly rinse off the insides of those coils. If you have to soak them, use Everclear (if you can get it your area) or cheap vodka. Denture cleaning tablets work much better than booze, BTW. Just dissolve one tablet is hot water and soak your coils. And rinse.

But honestly, learn how to rewick and dry burn (and rinse), even if you don't want to rebuild. You'll always have a clean wick and clean coil at your fingertips.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
They just start tasting bad so maybe I'll just rewick and dry burn them when they get the nasty taste.

On second thought, those coils may be difficult to rewick. IIRC, and if they're still made the same way as in the past, the wire may just be too thin and too fragile to withstand too much manipulation. Your best bet is to clean and very gently dry burn them and then rebuild using thicker wire--I like 29 g Kanthal. You can dry burn them without removing the wick if they are still using silica wicks. Then just rinse and repeat until the coil pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread