Is There An RTA That Doesn't Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I have 3 rta's. The Ammit, Merlin and Kanger Subtank Mini rba. They all leak. They don't leak gobs of juice, just enough to be annoying. They don't leak all of the time, just enough to be annoying.

I have 2 regular tanks, Aspire Triton and the Triton Mini, that use store bought coils and they never leak. Ever.

WTH? It gets old. I actually threw the Merlin in the trash one night I was so fed up. The next morning I dug it out of the trash, cleaned it up and tried it again.

Are all rta's just designed to leak? Anybody know of a good single coil rta that doesn't leak?

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
All your wow's are from wicking! I have both an ammit & a Merlin, I may get a tiny bit of condensation around the air holes, but not what I would consider leaking.
Wicking is a lot of trial & error, you have to try different wicking styles until you get it :)

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I keep reading about wicking and people saying that it has to do with leaking. I struggle with the idea that cotton has anything to do with a tank leaking. It's cotton. It has no structural capabilities. It isn't part of the tank. The tank is made of glass/plastic, metal and seals. I can see how wicking affects how the tank heats the juice, dry hits, etc. but not leaking.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I keep reading about wicking and people saying that it has to do with leaking. I struggle with the idea that cotton has anything to do with a tank leaking. It's cotton. It has no structural capabilities. It isn't part of the tank. The tank is made of glass/plastic, metal and seals. I can see how wicking affects how the tank heats the juice, dry hits, etc. but not leaking.
You need to change your point of view then. Wicking has alot to do with leaking. If it's not wicked properly a tank will leak like a sieve. If wicked properly it won't leak at all

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
You need to change your point of view then. Wicking has alot to do with leaking. If it's not wicked properly a tank will leak like a sieve. If wicked properly it won't leak at all

I'm not trying to be argumentative but you have to explain that for me to believe it. Explain to me how cotton, which has no structural abilities, can cause a tank to leak or not leak. If that was true mechanical engineers the world over would be using cotton to solve leaking issues of all types, and they don't.

Fad

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
England
If there`s too little wick covering or "blocking" the wick holes, then the liquid will just slowly flow past it - into the base, eventually out onto your mod and fingers.

Same applies if there`s a small gap where the wicking doesn`t quite cover...it might not even be visible to the eye.

Just enough wick will prevent the liquid from flowing past it and instead, just soak it up and feed it to the coil.

It`s my vaping nemesis....seepage.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I'm not trying to be argumentative but you have to explain that for me to believe it. Explain to me how cotton, which has no structural abilities, can cause a tank to leak or not leak. If that was true mechanical engineers the world over would be using cotton to solve leaking issues of all types, and they don't.
Engineers that design RTAs do use cotton to stop leaks. The cotton absorbs the liquid and controls the flow. Believe what you want and don't listen to people that are telling you what the problem is with your tanks leaking. I wick all my tanks properly with either cotton or rayon and I don't have any problems with leaking. Your premade coils are properly wicked with cotton. That's why they don't leak.

Last edited:

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
You dont think the wick matters.... leave it out and fill the tank..... does it hold juice?

Hey...I might just try that! LOL. Look folks, I'm not trying to be an .... It's just that I've been reading about wicking and leaking and I don't get it. It makes no sense to me. I needed it explained.

When I first starting using rta's and building coils I had issues with dry hits. After watching lots of videos on resolving dry hits, I have got to where I am wicking now with no dry hits at all, even with chain vaping, but now I have leaks.

Is there a magic point of wicking where you get No dry hits and No leaking?o_O

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I can try.....when you put all the pieces together, a sort of vacuum(for lack of better term) is created within the tank for smooth and hopefully problem free vaping. That upper pressure often can and does force ejuice down into the chamber where the coil and wicks are. Not enough cotton to hold that ejuice, it will leak.
The act of heating the coil while pulling a hit is supposed to be a smooth type of operation and the balance needs to be established, but the wicks hold the ejuice.

I hope you get the general idea of how tanks work. Its the same of any type of tank you use.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Is there a magic point of wicking where you get No dry hits and No leaking?o_O

Yes. That's the point. Wicking is just as much of an art as building coils. Too much cotton = dry hits because the cotton is not letting enough juice in. Not enough cotton = leaking because there is too much juice flow

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Don, you are right on the money.......OP, Wicking is an art, one me must master to get a particular RTA to function correctly, they are all a little different.....I struggled for a time untill I viewed some tutoring by YouTube, good luck, and welcome to ECF!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Top airflow rtas no leakin if not wicked properly horrible spit back yes!
Leave the wick out and lay it on it side....... or flip it over. Like it in you pocket all day. Still not leaking...

You find a tank that passes the no wick test... I'll question If it can feed juice to a coil at all.... tank has to "leak" some just for the juice to get to the coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bakseated1

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2012
Pa
Yeah my wick job in my nano was not as good as I had thought the other day. Had it in my pocket. Spent some time on its side when I was sitting. First hit. Mouth full of juice. So while it didn't "leak" in my pocket. It was a neater annoyance.

Btw nano has been very difficult for me to get the wicking right. It's always a process with any new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread