Is There An RTA That Doesn't Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Yeah, trust me, the wicking controls leaks. Unless you have no seals which is unlikely. Do you get leaks from the airflow? Bingo! Wicking.
If you have juice leaking from the airflow, you have too much juice in the juice well and it's overflowing. Caused by a poor seal. The wick delivers juice from the juice well to the coil, nothing more. If you have to wick a certain way to stop leaking, you have a poor seal. Fix the seal and how you wick won't matter.

Bakseated1

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2012
Pa
All tanks leak. Still. Best tank so far has been OBS engine, not nano ....e. Normal one. Only issue is that overfilling can cause build up in the air holes. Easily fixed by blowing the tank out. Personally. Best tank when I just need the tank to vape period

Why makes the regular engine more leakproof than the nano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
If you have juice leaking from the airflow, you have too much juice in the juice well and it's overflowing. Caused by a poor seal. The wick delivers juice from the juice well to the coil, nothing more. If you have to wick a certain way to stop leaking, you have a poor seal. Fix the seal and how you wick won't matter.
so if I have a tank with proper seals and no wicks it won't leak?

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Wrong

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Incorrect. From bitter experience I am certain of my statement.
Wicking absolutely matters.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Correct. But I can only vouch for Kayfuns and tanks based on a vacuum principle.
I'll have to check out your theory maestro with one of my kayfuns and get back to you , but one question , do not most tanks use the vacuum principle?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Got a challenge for those that say the OBS Engine is leak proof.... wick it with Silica..... or stainless mesh......

Top air tank are more resistant to leakage. Top air reduces the affect of condensation mainly because the condesation that does collect. Flow back down the air channel into the coil chamber. Rather than down and out of the tank... but the thw way cotton wicks also promotes sealing of the tank. See cotton absorbs fluid and expands to fill space. Its really the juice in the cotton that seals the tank. See the cotton wants to absorb all the juice and want to release none of the juice. Other materials may transport juice better like rayon, but the don't hold juice better than cotton.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Got a challenge for those that say the OBS Engine is leak proof.... wick it with Silica..... or stainless mesh......

Oooh, I've been proven wrong by some clever person who has edge case examples.
How about unobtanium?

Nope, I'll stand by my 'The OBS Engine does not leak. A drop. Ever.' statement.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016

Top air tank are more resistant to leakage. Top air reduces the affect of condensation mainly because the condesation that does collect. Flow back down the air channel into the coil chamber. Rather than down and out of the tank... but the thw way cotton wicks also promotes sealing of the tank. See cotton absorbs fluid and expands to fill space. Its really the juice in the cotton that seals the tank. See the cotton wants to absorb all the juice and want to release none of the juice. Other materials may transport juice better like rayon, but the don't hold juice better than cotton.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well I've wicked my Engine Nano with a ceramic wick (ReadyXWick) and the tank didn't leak. It did flood but it didn't leak. I'm not sure how the OBS Engines would leak unless the tank wasn't screwed onto the base properly.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I'll have to check out your theory maestro with one of my kayfuns and get back to you , but one question , do not most tanks use the vacuum principle?
I don't know. For sure the ones with the coil at the top don't. With the Kayfun it's easy to test. Simply fill it with water and remove the deck. If you have a good seal, the water will stay in the tank. Then remove the top cap and watch it pour out. And anyone who has forgotten to close the juice off before filling it can attest to what happens.

Last edited:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Incorrect. From bitter experience I am certain of my statement.
Wicking absolutely matters.
I'm not denying that wicking can help control leaking if you don't have a good seal on the tank. I'm just saying that if you fix the problem you won't have to worry about how you wick it. It's just simply better than trying to find the perfect wicking that balances between leaking and dry hits.

Reactions: Eskie

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
All tanks leak. Still. Best tank so far has been OBS engine, not nano ....e. Normal one. Only issue is that overfilling can cause build up in the air holes. Easily fixed by blowing the tank out. Personally. Best tank when I just need the tank to vape period
I have to agree that the OBS Engine original is one of the best tanks out there. You have to really mess up for it to leak. The other day I was in a hurry and wicked my OBS and cut the wicks too short and did not use enough cotton. I normally just lay the wick ends over the holes. This time because I did not get good coverage my Engine leaked for the first time ever. I re-wicked taking my time to do a good job and no leaks this time.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
I have to agree that the OBS Engine original is one of the best tanks out there. You have to really mess up for it to leak. The other day I was in a hurry and wicked my OBS and cut the wicks too short and did not use enough cotton. I normally just lay the wick ends over the holes. This time because I did not get good coverage my Engine leaked for the first time ever. I re-wicked taking my time to do a good job and no leaks this time.

Where exactly did it leak from? I have done more than a few bad wicking jobs on my Engine Nano. I got lots of flooding and nasty hot spitback but it never leaked.

Reactions: Eskie

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm sitting here looking at 2 of mine and I can't figure out where juice is going to leak from. Sealed at the bottom, middle, right to the top airflow. I suppose that under pressure, juice could possibly make its way back through the fill ring.

Me, I'm only going to deal with likely to happen cases. I guess I could come up with some scenario that some juice would come out of the tank. But they would have about zero likelihood of happening in actual use.

I'm with @Herrick here. I have done really poor job of wicking, its my usual style.
This is the one tank that has not had even a drop of juice outside.
As The King of Leaks, I hereby pronounce this tank as 'Esteemed Leakfree Treasure'

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm not denying that wicking can help control leaking if you don't have a good seal on the tank. I'm just saying that if you fix the problem you won't have to worry about how you wick it. It's just simply better than trying to find the perfect wicking that balances between leaking and dry hits.

Well, sometime your wrong and sometime your wrong.
So where is this seal you speak of? Is it at the giant gaping hole that we use to mount the driptip? Is it at the point the airflow hits the coil?
Or, as I have found/know, it is where the wet wick separates the liquid juice from the air.
Buddy, I have had way to much experience with leaky tanks to think that when it leaks from the airflow it is not the wicking. Nobody here is talking about seepage, juice pouring from a seam/joint.

But, please, walk me through your point.
I've seen WAY too many replies of 'well if it were done (fill in favorite argument) it would(n't) (fill in blank).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread