Is There An RTA That Doesn't Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Replacing good orings with good orings does nothing. There is a a huge vacuum leak in every rta. It's called a drip tip and air flow.
There is no vaccum leak from the drip tip.The drip tip is just part of the channel that goes down the chimney, through the center hole in the deck and out the air holes. It's completely open to the outside. It's separate from the sealed portion of the tank. Pull off the drip tip and look down and you'll see the chimney inside the top cap. This is where the o-ring is which separates the sealed section from the open section. A bad seal here is what usually causes the leaks.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
There is no vaccum leak from the drip tip.The drip tip is just part of the channel that goes down the chimney, through the center hole in the deck and out the air holes. It's completely open to the outside. It's separate from the sealed portion of the tank. Pull off the drip tip and look down and you'll see the chimney inside the top cap. This is where the o-ring is which separates the sealed section from the open section. A bad seal here is what usually causes the leaks.

The point is that the tank is NOT sealed from outside air. The wick is between the tank and outside air. If it's not wicked properly it will leak. If the tank was sealed from outside air you could fill the tank with no wick and it wouldn't leak. You can't do that. In other words you are wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Please quit passing bad advice.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
The point is that the tank is NOT sealed from outside air. The wick is between the tank and outside air. If it's not wicked properly it will leak. If the tank was sealed from outside air you could fill the tank with no wick and it wouldn't leak. You can't do that. In other words you are wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Please quit passing bad advice.
Sigh..........In the spirit of trying to be helpful instead of vindictive, and in the interest of educating the ignorant, I present the following with water, no wick and NO DECK!! This is my Kayfun Mini V3 Plus. Watch what happens at the end when I remove the top cap and break the seal.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Sigh..........In the spirit of trying to be helpful instead of vindictive, and in the interest of educating the ignorant, I present the following with water, no wick and NO DECK!! This is my Kayfun Mini V3 Plus. Watch what happens at the end when I remove the top cap and break the seal.

Just a heads up, you posted a video no one can see.. you have it set to private.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Replacing good orings with good orings does nothing. There is a a huge vacuum leak in every RTA. It's called a drip tip and air flow.

That's true, replacing good o-rings with good o-rings won't help unless one isn't sealing. But, lose the tank o-ring vacuum seal and it ALL goes into the chimney and out the air hole.

Sometimes, you have to troubleshoot by replacing parts that aren't easy to troubleshoot. All it takes is a nick on an o-ring from repeated assemble and disassembly and the vacuum seal is lost. That's easy to troubleshoot on most atomizers by blocking the air hole(s) and drawing a vacuum. If it won't hold, it's time for new o-rings.

Reactions: Opinionated

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
That's true, replacing good o-rings with good o-rings won't help unless one isn't sealing. But, lose the tank o-ring vacuum seal and it ALL goes into the chimney and out the air hole.

Sometimes, you have to troubleshoot by replacing parts that aren't easy to troubleshoot. All it takes is a nick on an o-ring from repeated assemble and disassembly and the vacuum seal is lost. That's easy to troubleshoot on most atomizers by blocking the air hole(s) and drawing a vacuum. If it won't hold, it's time for new o-rings.
Since the only o-ring in the tank section that actually acts as an o-ring, rather than a gasket, is in the middle of the top cap, that's your best suspect to start with. It might even be that the chimney is too short for the glass and it's not reaching the o-ring. I've seen that. Take off the drip tip and look at it and make sure there's no gap between the chimney and the top cap. Some clones are not built to very good specs.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Since the only o-ring in the tank section that actually acts as an o-ring, rather than a gasket, is in the middle of the top cap, that's your best suspect to start with. It might even be that the chimney is too short for the glass and it's not reaching the o-ring. I've seen that. Take off the drip tip and look at it and make sure there's no gap between the chimney and the top cap. Some clones are not built to very good specs.

Yes, the top cap ring that the chimney fits into is one that gets a lot of wear in a Kayfun when you recoil or rewick and it's the one I suspect first. For those who remove the top cap to refill, the top cap center and outer ring are suspect.

The ring on the coil deck is another. You have to disturb it to remove the coil deck and service the wick and coil area.

vexx

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
No parts allowed
How do you wick a top airflow tank as to prevent spitback? I have made my maganus cloud blaster work correctly a little bit but it always starts getting really spitty at some point. Makes me not want to mess with rbas anymore.
usually don't over saturate the wicks at first and use a little bit more cotton that usually works for me

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
What Vexx says is true.
But spitback after refilling is next to normal, if the wicking is not absolutely perfect. After two or three vapes it should stop to spit however. If it doesn't, there's definitively not enough cotton in the juicechannels and perhaps you should even go for a larger ID of the coil - instead of 2.5mm use a 3mm inner diameter.

You can prevent spitback a lot, if you don't fill the tank when it's hot. Let it cool down first.
Blowing into the driptip might also help depending on the tank, or you can try to beat the excess liquid out of the chamber.
Using higher VG is an option as well.

Lastly I've noticed, that I get spitback after filling when the RTA is freshly wicked. After about two refills it's gone. Seems like the wicks need some time to expand enough to make a good seal.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well, I guess we can all learn something. How do I set it to private? Hmmm....looks like I didn't publish it. Let me know if it works now

Sorry hon... I never saw your reply to me til now.. however, yes, it works fine now.. hahaha..

(better late than never right?)

lol..

I do sincerely apologize though.

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I want to start Building RTA , càn anyone recommend a good tank 22mm diameter if possible

The Kayfun 5 is 22mm, so is the serpent mini... there are lots more, but it helps to know what style vaping you want to do - Whether your a high wattage Dl or lower wattage MTL vaper. With more information about what your looking for outside of size it will be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

Reactions: Letitia

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Top airflow rtas no leakin if not wicked properly horrible spit back yes!
I didnt mean to disagree, i do in fact agree about spit back from a bad wick job. I only just started using an rdta myself and figuring out proper wicking. Too much cotton and youll get dry hits, and too little youll get juicy hits.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread