RDA Is there anything better than the magma rda for flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
However, I think the Hobo is becoming my new favorite. It has the best balance of everything, from what I've used so far. Excellent flavor and vapor production, easy to adjust top cap airflow, no leaking, easy for builds, decent juice capacity. It is just a great all-around atty and the flavor is definitely up there with the best of them.

This.

I gave my Magma away because I feel that the Hobo performs better. Awesome flavor and decent clouds. Doesn't get as hot as the Magma and doesn't leak. I love that little guy.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Man, I've been out of hte hardware game for a few months (feel like years) so I didn't know how many devices were out now that were bottom-fed for air.................

Looks like the Lancia is picking up some good reviews and might be worth checking out. The Lancia RDA Clone Review | Vaping Cheap

To op: All the holes in the Lancia can be closed off but one, so functionally it meets your checklist.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Looks like the Lancia is picking up some good reviews and might be worth checking out. The Lancia RDA Clone Review | Vaping Cheap

To op: All the holes in the Lancia can be closed off but one, so functionally it meets your checklist.

Just stop it! Please, stop. Look, I said no. What part of "no" don't you understand? Oh bother.

Adding it to the list, but it would be nice to first get the other two RDAs I bought today (the Vertex V2 and the N22) . :laugh:

opensec

Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Indiana
Adding it to the list, but it would be nice to first get the other two RDAs I bought today (the Vertex V2 and the N22) . :laugh:

Angelcigs has both in stock, ships the next day, delivers in 3 days, price are chinese, shipping is US

ooopppps, just realizing you did buy em, let us know how they perform

opensec

Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Indiana
Is the N22 also set up for single coil airflow?
yes, 3 holes in the afc, you can set it up for single or dual coil, and looking at it, it looks quite temoting, may pick one up, has anyone tried the sovereign, I've heard great things flovor wise about this one (even if I hate the design, it could be a cool "stay at home" atty :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
yes, 3 holes in the afc, you can set it up for single or dual coil, and looking at it, it looks quite tempting, may pick one up, has anyone tried the sovereign, I've heard great things flavor wise about this one (even if I hate the design, it could be a cool "stay at home" atty :)

Wow. That is one ugly bird right there! LOL.

desrever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
La La Land
I've owned or used most of the RDAs mentioned and the "best" flavor would have to go to the neovapetek Venturi. The veritas held the top spot for me for a while but the Venturi edges it out. Both have quirks due to design but the Venturi is closer to your 3 post rda making it easier to build on. Airflow is also easier to adjust and fine tune. The icing is how leak proof it is. The veritas is leak resistant but far from leak proof. If you overdrip and/or tilt it below horizontal you can get leaks. The Venturi just doesn't leak unless you hold it completely upside down. Even if you totally flood the chamber/well with juice it is not likely to leak out of the air holes since there is a second chamber catching the juice. With thicker liquids (70vg+) I've never had any leakage and only a bit of liquid ever makes it into the outer chamber. As long as it's not upside down I never worry about pocketing it. The capacity is probably around a bit more than 50% of the veritas so that's a con. However that seems like a design limitation. The well can't be any wider and it's already a tall rda. Overall I'd definitely recommend it over the veritas. Top notch CS as well.

For gennys I love the sat22. Different vape that brings the best out of some juices for me. However I ultimately prefer the ease and simplicity of a cotton dripper build.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Just stop it! Please, stop. Look, I said no. What part of "no" don't you understand? Oh bother.

The N22 looks really interesting. The only thing I see is that if it got knocked over or something it looks like juice could run back down the air holes. In actual practice, it may be more leak resistant than it looks though.

I like the connected juice well, and the air flow looks like it should be smooth and even on the coil. You may have a little flavor monster on your hands there. Looking forward to your review. :vapor:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The N22 looks really interesting. The only thing I see is that if it got knocked over or something it looks like juice could run back down the air holes. In actual practice, it may be more leak resistant than it looks though.

I like the connected juice well, and the air flow looks like it should be smooth and even on the coil. You may have a little flavor monster on your hands there. Looking forward to your review. :vapor:

Yeah, the N22 is not leak resistant by any strecth of the imagination. It's a good atty with a really nice draw, but, alas, it still ain't the Magma. Part of the reason I don't like it as much is becasue of the three-post design you have to do that wonky bend in your coils to get it in the center and it makes for a pain trying to getting the coils right (at least for me). It's good, the flavor is good (better to me than the Vertex which I already sold), but still not the Magma. The flavor is way better than a lot of other 'normal' RDAs I've used, but it's not as concentrated as the Magma.

All that said, I got pretty good flavor out of a single coil build more than the dual which is kinda weird to me.

Luckily, with the success of the Magma, I think this type of set-up is coming around and more attys will improve on it (or just mess it up). For instance, has anyone seen this:

The WOTOFO Freakshow
HTB13F2wGFXXXXa5XFXXq6xXFXXXF.jpg

Or the Samurai:
653f1f47b85d3e9dc46d218d00789db9_1024x1024.jpg

Both of those look like they still have the same issues with leaking, and especially the Samurai (and they're both three-post designs). The Samurai also has an optional (adjustable) top airflow as well and it clearly geared toward cloud chasing but it also has a really shallow well. The Samurai is expensive (~$120) and the WOTOFO is like $30 as an authentic.

I may just let the Magma be what it is and try a Venturi or something.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ter-than-magma-rda-flavor-2.html#post14825471

is there anything better than magma rda flavor

seeing that I feel compelled to say that

between the 30mm magma and 30mm veritas clones that I use, I consistently feel better about the flavor on the veritas,

and I'm inclined to suspect that big white block of plastic in the middle of my magma; there's a 2xsomething version that doesn't have that plastic.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I would say the Veritas is definitely a great RDA and is pretty much leak proof but a bit of PITA to build on. For me right now the Venturi is king. It is even better than the Veritas in terms of flavor. It is totally leak proof (more than the Veritas) and holds a ton of juice like the Veritas. It is also much easier than the Veritas to build on.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I would say the Veritas is definitely a great RDA and is pretty much leak proof but a bit of PITA to build on. For me right now the Venturi is king. It is even better than the Veritas in terms of flavor. It is totally leak proof (more than the Veritas) and holds a ton of juice like the Veritas. It is also much easier than the Veritas to build on.

I was an early user of the Veritas (I just so happened to buy it the day it came out) and I absolutely loved it -- for the time being. Although I got to a point where I could build it quickly, I never seemed to enjoy building on it. PITA definitely sums it up! It was superb with flavor, that is, when the build was just right, and again, I never really liked building on it -- so that just made it less-than what I needed. I do kinda miss mine though (I sold it).

I will definitely check out the Venturi, but I am also thinking about the Orchid. You tried the Orchid?

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The plumeveil is a good atty but it's also very similar to the tobh so if you can't get a better vape from your tobh than your magma you will only end up saying the same about a plumeveil.
I think the atomic would be a good one for you as its a slightly smaller chamber.
The following pic shows how close i have my coil to the edge of the tobh atty, as close as i can possibly get to the air intake without actually touching the inside collar, so you would have to check for shorts once you have the top caps on, but imo it's worth the effort as i get better vapour and flavour than in the magma.
Great pic! This is, IMO, one of the most underrated RDAs out there, and if built like Slippy has here, produces exceptional flavour and vapour. Built more traditionally, it's actually pretty weak, so a very build dependant atty. I actually like my Tobh as an all-rounder, as built properly it does well with a wide variety of flavours, though without excelling in any particular area.

I have 46 RDAs, and have done some intense flavour profiling, and prefer some attys and coil builds over others for various flavour 'verticals.' For example, I use the Plume veil with a twisted 'tiger' coil for fruit/dessert vapes, while I use the Stillare v3 with a triple micro coil build for spice/cream/alchohol flavours. At any given moment, I have 6 RDAs setup to fill a specific flavour niche.

In other words, it's going to be hard to get a consensus on what works and what is 'best,' particularly if looking for a single RDA 'to rule them all.'

I will throw my hat in, however, by saying that these are the atty's that I use daily, and that most of the other 40 rarely see use anymore.

Stillare v3
Plume Veil v1.5
Lancia
Vertex v2
Hobo v2.1
Mutation X (v2 deck, v1 AFC)

If I were to choose 1 single all-around RDA for flavour chasing, I would likely pick the Lancia. The build possibilities are endless, and the flavour is fantastic. Note that I had to replace the o-rings (when using the glass tank) with slightly thicker ones to reduce leaking.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I will definitely check out the Venturi, but I am also thinking about the Orchid. You tried the Orchid?

I have the orchid V4..... it is the best RTA IMHO. It is the only RTA that I use now. If you get it make sure to buy the easy fill cap from FT for 5 dollars. It really puts the Orchid over the top.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have the orchid V4..... it is the best RTA IMHO. It is the only RTA that I use now. If you get it make sure to buy the easy fill cap from FT for 5 dollars. It really puts the Orchid over the top.

Any flavor comparison on the Orchid vs the Venturi? I know one is an RDA and the other isn't, but just curious since the Ventrui has the chimney.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Veritas and Vanturi are both better when it comes to flavor and vapor compared to the Orchid. But the Orchid is the closest in terms of performance you are going to get from a RTA....it is a very solid device.
The Lemo and particularly the Lemo Drop are both superb devices, and IMO deliver better flavour than the Orchid, though running a dual coil build is challenging, if that's your style.

If you already have an Orchid (or a Billow), you can drastically improve the flavour by installing a Kayfun Nano kit. All the threading is interchangeable. I run a nano Quartz kit with two piece chimney on my Orchid v4, and I slightly prefer the flavour to the Lemo Drop. You do get slightly less capacity, but it's a sleek 22mm device vs 23mm on the Lemos.

Cheers

desrever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
La La Land
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419043967.218112.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419043983.119725.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419043992.002733.jpg

Just got this guy in. Nomad RDA clone. I've never even heard of it until I saw this clone come up. I believe it's from Japan. The design looked interesting enough for me to give it a try without reading anything about it. Basically the airflow comes in from the side of the base into a hollow center post, up and then out of 2 holes for dual coils. You can configure it for single coil by putting a screw into one of the holes.

This is my first build which is a 24g single coil coming out to 0.6ohm. Building isn't too hard but I can see doing a dual coil being a bit of a pain mainly because:

1) Wires have to be trapped with a screw on both positive and negative posts
2) The positive post can spin when you move your coil around with too much force. It looks like this is a design limitation since the 510 pin only screws into the positive pin. There is an insulator that screws into the actual rda base but that only press fits into the center post. I basically held a screw driver on the plug screw while setting up the single coil.

I set this up fairly quickly. It's similar to a veritas but easier due to having more space to work with. Those used to standard 3 post rdas may hate it.

Initial thoughts:

1) Flavor is excellent. This is already similar to the Venturi which I put at the top. I'm sure dialing the build to it will make it better.

2) The chamber is quite small with a conical shape at the top. For reference, the height of the chamber is approximately 3/4th of the smooth portion of the topcap (excludes the fins).

3) Airflow wide open is just enough to lung hit, although a bit restrictive. I've gotten used to mouth hitting with gennys so this isn't an issue. This probably isn't an atty for cloud chasers that like airy draws.

4) Needs more airflow. I tried closing it off halfway and it was just not enough airflow to keep up with my build and altered flavor. I can't imagine this being optimal with low sub ohm builds. Especially in dual coil config. I don't think you could drill this out either because the center post is threaded internally on both ends. Airflow would still be restricted even if you drilled out the side hole. Similar to how a kayfun works.

5) Leak proof. Only way for liquid to come out is the drip tip. Even if you flooded the chamber, liquid most likely wouldn't make it out of the center post down and out of the side hole because of how small it is (maybe with pure PG).

6) Deep wells. I can get a solid couple more drops into it versus the Veritas. It should get you quite a bit of usage before re-dripping.

7) Copper center post. I believe the original is stainless. I would rather have SS for safety concerns as well as maintenance.

8) Okay build quality. Threads are smooth and nothing physically wrong. Finish however is quite rough. Refinishing needed to match the SMPL mod it's sitting on.

Overall this rda is pretty impressive. Holds a lot of juice, leak proof, great flavor. It holds more juice than the venturi and is ~10mm shorter. Nice for a compact setup to carry around if you prefer rdas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread