Is there really such thing as as a no steep recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The couple recipes I have tried right after mixing (that say they can be used right away without steeping) tasted very flavorless. I am wondering if you have a TRUE no steep good recipe?
Or is it just that it all needs to steep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure.
3 ml of 100 mg nic in PG.
5 ml of rum.
92 ml of VG.

Tomorrow I'll try with Wild Turkey 101. Will report results.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I must be one of the lucky ones.
Not alot of heavy custard or cream or tobacco flavors used by us.
I can mix for me, husband and mother and we can all vape our mixes fresh.
I'm a heavy menthol recipe.
Husband likes a fruit mix.
Mom likes a single FW butterpecan recipe.

They may change a little at about day 3, but not enough to really make a differnce.

I think it will all come down to your own recipes (ingredients) and your taste.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm a tobacco flavor DIYer mostly. 1 to 2 weeks produces a better vape, but I've vaped some early in the process. It depends on the flavor brand and the particular flavor whether a tobacco can be good enough in the first few days. Over the first week color begins to appear in juice that was almost clear after mixing. During week two the color sometimes gets a little more golden with Hangsen and a little orange tinted on some Flavourart flavorings.

Most fruit vapers say that it's good from day one and better after a few days. I hear creme and heavy dessert flavor vapers say that steeping is needed.

The best advice is to go by your own experience. Try it on day one or day two. If it's good, vape it. If not, wait a few days and try again.

I have yet to find a small 510 dripper atomizer that produces exactly the same flavor as my Kayfun, but it's a good way to see how the steep is proceeding. Drip a few drops and try it.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I tend to want to tinker with different flavors, but I have used TFA Juicy Peach and FW Wild Cherry as stand-alone flavors. My taste buds and flavor recognition have just gone up since I started so I have lowered my percents since, say, a ouple of years ago. Both of the above flavors I use at 4 or 5% rather than 10%. A lot of shaking/mixing though, especially with juice that is VG-dominant.

I assume their are other "simple" fruits, too. Coconut is probably to creamy.

Because I run multiple toppers to have the ability to change flavors quickly, I just made a Juicey Peach to fill in for juices that are still steeping.

I would just get a bunch of fruit flavors and then make 5ml samples to try. Make notes.

Good luck!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
All vapes can be shaken and vaped right away. They just improve with age. So my favorite advice is as follows.

If it tastes good right after mixing then vape it. If not wait. If after waiting it still don't taste good adjust it. If it still don't taste good dump it or give it to someone who's not a close friend:).

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I've had good results immediately with mint and menthol, but most everything else needs some time for the flavor to really come through. Good thing we primarily vape mint/menthols!

I definitely enjoy mint/menthols! Any recipe(s) you'd like to share?

Reactions: Kenna

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
All vapes can be shaken and vaped right away. They just improve with age. So my favorite advice is as follows.

If it tastes good right after mixing then vape it. If not wait. If after waiting it still don't taste good adjust it. If it still don't taste good dump it or give it to someone who's not a close friend:).
this is the best post in this thread. mix up a bunch of 120 ml bigger batches at once (or space a few batches out a week or two apart) and vape on the simplest/fruitiest ones first and let the others steep, then every 2 to 4 weeks depending on your consumption mix a few more. I haven't tallied it lately but I am confident I have about 2 liters of mostly steeped juice in the basement that are 1 - 8 weeks old. I will be mixing another 3-500 ml in a week or 3.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I definitely enjoy mint/menthols! Any recipe(s) you'd like to share?

I've gotten lazy and use a blend made by Azure Vaping called Hypermint that I just mix at 8%. Unfortunately, as a Pennsylvania company faced with ridiculous taxation, they closed up their business a couple months ago. I stocked up so I can remain lazy for a few more years lol. Inawera Mix Mint is pretty good at about 3% as it's highly concentrated.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I vape all my recipes fresh, got no time for steeping y'all.

hXegkmW.jpg

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I must have tired tastebuds!
One suggestion I haven't read yet, and works for me (when I have "tired taste buds") is an unflavored mix. ("unflavored" being simply PG + VG + nic = "unflavored")

I tried it once when I first started becoming obsessed with all things vaping and was thoroughly disappointed. More than a year later, my taste buds were fried, and even though I had three solid all-day-vapes in my rotation I could find no solace in any of them. I needed my nic fix; out of addiction, lack of inspiration, and pure laziness :)blush:), I whipped up another batch of unflavored. Though it still left me uninspired; I found it to be satisfying. It took the edge off to come up with "something." I was able to relax. I still remained uninspired.

I later came across a recipe that sounded interesting and mixed up a small 15mL tester. I poured off a 5mL tank and vaped it. It tasted WAY too strong but was interesting. I followed that tank up with another tank of unflavored and "WOW" this was pretty good (I was still getting some leaching from the flavored tank).

So, I poured off another 5mL of the original flavored recipe into a spare bottle, and cut it with 15mL of unflavored. I had 20 mL of heaven singing in my mouth!

I still vape primarily unflavored, but when I do want flavor, I have a Dos Equis (sorry; wrong commercial
9.gif
), I can vape at much lower flavor percentages.

Next time you don't know what you want to vape... try unflavored. I am not promising you the Holy Grail; but you may find a satisfying alternative that will hold you over until your taste buds strike.
Now I find that one tank of flavor, followed by two, three, or even four tanks of unflavored are perfectly satisfying. And I no longer have to find a flavor that is able to "dominate" the previous one.

Unflavored is fast, easy, cheap, and I can use it as a blending agent to quickly evaluate new flavors individually. It has found a permanent home in my DIY arsenal.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
One suggestion I haven't read yet, and works for me (when I have "tired taste buds") is an unflavored mix. ("unflavored" being simply PG + VG + nic = "unflavored")

I tried it once when I first started becoming obsessed with all things vaping and was thoroughly disappointed. More than a year later, my taste buds were fried, and even though I had three solid all-day-vapes in my rotation I could find no solace in any of them. I needed my nic fix; out of addiction, lack of inspiration, and pure laziness :)blush:), I whipped up another batch of unflavored. Though it still left me uninspired; I found it to be satisfying. It took the edge off to come up with "something." I was able to relax. I still remained uninspired.

I later came across a recipe that sounded interesting and mixed up a small 15mL tester. I poured off a 5mL tank and vaped it. It tasted WAY too strong but was interesting. I followed that tank up with another tank of unflavored and "WOW" this was pretty good (I was still getting some leaching from the flavored tank).

So, I poured off another 5mL of the original flavored recipe into a spare bottle, and cut it with 15mL of unflavored. I had 20 mL of heaven singing in my mouth!

I still vape primarily unflavored, but when I do want flavor, I have a Dos Equis (sorry; wrong commercial
9.gif
), I can vape at much lower flavor percentages.

Next time you don't know what you want to vape... try unflavored. I am not promising you the Holy Grail; but you may find a satisfying alternative that will hold you over until your taste buds strike.
Now I find that one tank of flavor, followed by two, three, or even four tanks of unflavored are perfectly satisfying. And I no longer have to find a flavor that is able to "dominate" the previous one.

Unflavored is fast, easy, cheap, and I can use it as a blending agent to quickly evaluate new flavors individually. It has found a permanent home in my DIY arsenal.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely try it!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have found that heating my just mixed DIY e-Liquids in hot water no hotter than 150°F helps speed up the infusion of the flavors and have vaped many of them before the reached room temperature. This works extremely well for fruits and my tobaccos but any cream, custards or yogurts need more time to infuse properly and completely.

The only thing I ever steep is a cup of tea..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread